TV Home Forum

Educational Broadcasting 2020

When will the network programmes be available? (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Riaz
I'm strongly in favour of educational programmes for children to have subtitles. Some children may be hard of hearing / live in noisy houses / require more opportunities to practice reading.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Riaz posted:
I'm strongly in favour of educational programmes for children to have subtitles. Some children may be hard of hearing / live in noisy houses / require more opportunities to practice reading.

The daily shows are subtitled on iPlayer; it's a limitation of the platform that's preventing it on red button.
BR
Brekkie
I do think BBC2 should have been used for some content. Understand CBBC being kept free as an alternative but to enable people to record and as mentioned the subtitling issue using BBC2 either overnight or ideally in the morning for at least the Bitesize Daily stuff would have made sense. I also think now that too much news is really unhealthy, so keeping the option of the extended news coverage to the news channel in the mornings and using that time for the educational content instead would make quite a bit of sense - and actually give what the BBC is doing a real shop window as well.
JO
Josh
CBBC and CBeebies could be necessarily a good platform to place it on, even though it may seem a bad idea.

Both channels already show educational programmes within their early daytime schedule and have sufficient accessibility for those who have hard of hearing or sight problems.

As for the 13+ strand, I believe they are already repeated after on BBC Four the same evening so there's that problem solved. Same goes for accessibility above.
IS
Inspector Sands
BBC2 would be better for viability of the programmes, more people will notice they're on there than they will the red button

The thing about the Red Button is that it's a channel with nothing regularly scheduled so it's a totally blank canvas which BBC2 isn't
DV
DVB Cornwall
Sir David Attenborough has been talking to Christiane Amanpour today

DV
dvboy
His involvement got a mention on The Daily Show.
JA
james-2001
It was only when Bob Ross died and tributes to him were all over the Internet that it started to make a bit of sense

Bob Ross died in 1995, long before Peep Show! Or before most people had the internet even. He didn't seem to become an internet meme until the last few years, though.
Last edited by james-2001 on 22 April 2020 11:46pm - 2 times in total
JA
james-2001
Vice have been showing it with the video look removed (filmic/25p/30p?), BBC Four's copy last night seemed to be more fluid but it still looked jerky. Looking at the credits it seems that every fifth frame was skipped. I don't know if this is a way of avoiding the usual speed-up but it didn't look nice.

Looked to me almost like they'd been given a copy filmised from 60i to 30p and converted that 50i, so looks sort-of filmic, but very jerky. German TV runs the show on ARD Alpha without the film look though (without any dubbing or subbing too, which is very unusual for German TV), so why the BBC have got copies like this is anyone's guess, but it's presumably down to the distrubutor, not the BBC.

Seeing as it was made on video, there shouldn't be any need for the 4% PAL speedup, that should only apply to film or HD content shot at 24 fps, not 60i video content. I have seen some 60i content in the past where it looks like they've removed the non-existant 3:2 pull down (so removing every 5th field) and sped that up so it looks very off though.
Last edited by james-2001 on 22 April 2020 11:48pm
IS
Inspector Sands
It was only when Bob Ross died and tributes to him were all over the Internet that it started to make a bit of sense

Bob Ross died in 1995, long before Peep Show! Or before most people had the internet even. He didn't seem to become an internet meme until the last few years, though.

Oh how odd. I remember him suddenly being all over Reddit and that was a long time after 1995 too
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Oh how odd. I remember him suddenly being all over Reddit and that was a long time after 1995 too

Memes are as old as time itself. Ross had various catchphrases and other things that if you watch the TV show get dropped in regularly without fail and they just so happen to lend themselves to memes. "No mistakes, just happy accidents" is a classic one, as was the happy little tree. Goes well with a picture of Donald Trump next to a whopping great wall on the Mexico border.

John Cleese might not be able to do a Silly Walk anymore but that doesn't stop his "image" of him appearing on a road sign somewhere, according to Reddit:
(assuming this is genuine of course and not just a photoshop job)
JA
james-2001
Another thing I've just picked up about The Joy Of Painting- all 4 episodes BBC4 have shown so far have an 1987 copyright date, but they were all actually first shown in 1986 (the first three were shown in July, the fourth in September). Seems a bit odd, were the episodes reversioned at some point in 1987 with a new copyright put on or something?

The listings on the BBC website suggest they've bought 26 episodes, as what we've seen so far were the last three of season 9 and the first of season 10, I assume they'll be running through until the 10th episode of season 11

Newer posts