The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
Joe posted:
It's just the flick of a switch to change it, IIRC? Well, automation probably does a lot of it - when the FOA running order end it switches to the next on, I assume so anyway.

I ended up in a Youtube black hole and remembered someone asking how quick the studio can change branding/colour scheme when this clip was found.

I don't want to be mean, but I don't understand why people are so surprised at this. (Serious question:) did people think that crew went round changing physical gels on lights and loading up DVDs with new backgrounds or something?

I genuinely didn’t know now I do know it’s just a button on a console still amazing though.
KM
kman2020
With the presenter mish-mash and single newscasts covering both BBC World and BBC News (and sometimes BBC One), there seems to be an issue with identifying the presenters.

I'm watching on the BBC World feed. It seems, if it is a broadcast coming from BBC World, the presenter has it written in the script to verbally identify themselves, and as the BBC World technical team is putting the graphics together, we see their name on screen.

But if its meant for BBC News Channel, the script doesn't include the presenter saying their own name, and as we're seeing BBC World graphics overlayed, the presenter name doesn't appear on screen.

This 1900 GMT broadcast I'm watching now with Matthew Amroliwala had no identification of who he is. Same with the 2200 GMT newscast last night with Mishal Husein.

But if it's an overnight broadcast (Mike Embley, Simon Pusey, etc) or the immediate next shift (Sally Bundock) which appear to come from BBC World, we get both the verbal identification, and the name on screen.
BR
Brekkie
If you don't know who the newsreader is do you really need to know who the newsreader is. What they're delivering is ultimately the important thing.
CI
cityprod
If you don't know who the newsreader is do you really need to know who the newsreader is. What they're delivering is ultimately the important thing.

I would argue you do, because it helps establish a good connection between broadcaster and consumer, whether that is a TV viewer or a radio listener.
UK
UKNewsHound
We can’t even name-check the channel right let alone the talent.

This morning we “said goodbye to viewers on BBC World.”

It’s only been 12 years...
SP
Steve in Pudsey

That was the thinking back in the early days of broadcasting. They only started introducing newsreaders by name on BBC Radio during WW2, to reassure the audience that it really was the BBC and not enemy propaganda.
TV
TVViewer256
I think that 'the eye' might mean that during the last period in N9 (as seen in Worzel's photo), rather than show a title-based graphic on the plasma when it wasn't 'in use' - they instead showed an image that looked like the newsroom background. So, essentially the plasma blended into the newsroom somewhat.

I think that I now have a vague recollection of that odd practice, although I thought they tended to concentrate on using the image on the Barco cubes as a background towards the end, with a long shot towards that end of the studio. It was N8 . . . . Very Happy

When they moved into N8 in 2008, I seem to recall they did use a fake newsroom image on the Barco screens, albeit with a map of the world on top, if I remember correctly.

I think 'the eye' was quoting this image of N9 in Worzel's post:

The plasma screen to the left (that's switched off) is what had a fake newsroom image when it wasn't in use for an interview, etc. Before this set was unveiled in 2004, the plasma screens in N9 used to just show a graphic with the BBC News logo.

Just wanted to point out that Google Maps and Earth have a full street view of the inside of TVC, probably taken in the era around 2009-2013. It's basically a 360 degree view of anywhere in the building, including the newsroom. Just go onto Google Maps and drop the street view 'yellow man' somewhere in the building. Apologies if this has been mentioned recently, just wanted to point it out incase anyone was interested.
ST
Stuart
Just wanted to point out that Google Maps and Earth have a full street view of the inside of TVC, probably taken in the era around 2009-2013. It's basically a 360 degree view of anywhere in the building, including the newsroom. Just go onto Google Maps and drop the street view 'yellow man' somewhere in the building. Apologies if this has been mentioned recently, just wanted to point it out incase anyone was interested.

Someone mentioned it shortly after TVC closed, and I spent many happy hours 'wandering around' on Google Street View. I'd forgotten about it until now, so it may be worth another visit while I'm stuck in the house. Very Happy
RN
Rolling News
I think that I now have a vague recollection of that odd practice, although I thought they tended to concentrate on using the image on the Barco cubes as a background towards the end, with a long shot towards that end of the studio. It was N8 . . . . Very Happy

When they moved into N8 in 2008, I seem to recall they did use a fake newsroom image on the Barco screens, albeit with a map of the world on top, if I remember correctly.

I think 'the eye' was quoting this image of N9 in Worzel's post:

The plasma screen to the left (that's switched off) is what had a fake newsroom image when it wasn't in use for an interview, etc. Before this set was unveiled in 2004, the plasma screens in N9 used to just show a graphic with the BBC News logo.

Oh my God! Cheers!
IT
Ittr

I saw N8 and the main newsroom within that quite a while ago, and the N6 gallery, but had no luck finding either N6 or N9 Laughing
IT
itsrobert Founding member

I can tell you exactly when that was done - February 2013. I had one last visit to TVC that month with a friend who was freelancing there at the time and we passed the Google cameraman many times in the labyrinth of corridors. Unfortunately, I've yet to find myself on the Street View images, though.

Although seeing TVC in February 2013 was absolutely fantastic - because practically everything except parts of BBC News had already moved out, we essentially had the place to ourselves to wander around. It was probably the best visit I ever had. But that in itself also made for the saddest visit I ever had - because I had seen it in the early 2000's when it was full of life. So that last visit was quite emotional - but exciting at the same time.
ST
Stuart
As I was 'wandering about' in the old N8 today on Google, I grabbed a pic of one of those 'fake Newsroom' views which we were chatting about the other day . . .

Newer posts