TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
I assume they are thinking Strictly won’t be able to start in September as normal then ?

I can’t wait to see viewers own content. People dancing at home filmed on webcams, sounds brilliant TV Wink
JK
JKDerry
2020 has been well and truly screwed in terms of live television now by COVID-19. I do not remember a similar situation causing havoc among productions and live programming. This has to be the worst ever.

Yes it is only late April, we have a long summer to go before the main autumn schedules kick in by mid-September, but it is going to be very interesting to see what happens.

The soap operas will go back into production very soon I predict, with health procedures in place, as if all the soaps come to a grinding halt, that would be TV nightmare for BBC and ITV.

Hopefully if the lockdown measures are gradually eased come mid-May, productions could get going, and at a fast pace, so to ensure at least there is a good stock of new programmes, ready for broadcast in the autumn, especially if there is another lockdown
JA
JAS84
The soaps will be fine if filming can resume by June. Though a second lockdown would definitely black them out.
BR
Brekkie
Strictly seems to be taking the last few minutes of This Morning every day. Most the judges and many of the pros seem to have featured now.
GB
Gary Baldy
Jenny posted:
Dragons' Den tonight was the episode that was meant to go out two weeks ago. The originally-previewed item about an air purifier that kills viruses was conspicuous by its absence. I'm not convinced Evan Davis' piece to camera at the end was filmed in the Den either.

Original Radio Times write-up here: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/k62nz8/dragons-den--s17-e14-dragons-den/

Evan never films in the Den anymore- his bits are recorded separately.
JO
Johnr
He doesn't even bother explaining the rules of Dragon's Den any more, they're of course very complex!

Thank goodness they axed that utterly awful 'reaction room' that they tried a few years ago!
RI
Richard

The soap operas will go back into production very soon I predict, with health procedures in place, as if all the soaps come to a grinding halt, that would be TV nightmare for BBC and ITV.

I can’t see how. There are characters who live together but in reality the actors don’t so wouldn’t be able to be closer than 2m for the foreseeable future. I would suggest that drama productions, theatres etc won’t start for 1-2 months at the earliest.
BR
Brekkie
The Last Leg is to return with Adam Hills anchoring from his garage in Melbourne.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/04/adam-hills-set-to-host-the-last-leg-from-australia.html
UKnews, davidhorman and AJB39 gave kudos
SP
Spencer
What will be interesting when the soaps resume production is to what extent they reflect the coronavirus outbreak and restrictions.

To carry on entirely as if nothing was happening would seem weird in itself. But then they’d have to guess in advance what restrictions might be in place at the time of broadcast. And of course there’s the problem that social distancing and closed cafés, pubs, etc. don't lend themselves well to the human interaction that soaps require.
Jeffmister, Steve in Pudsey and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Yes, feel like they need to reflect one of the biggest events in our lifetimes but would be weird to go from a regular episode to suddenly the social distancing being imposed on the soap three months after the event.
TI
TIGHazard
The Last Leg is to return with Adam Hills anchoring from his garage in Melbourne.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/04/adam-hills-set-to-host-the-last-leg-from-australia.html

Quote:

But while the number of episodes may be trimmed, Hills says his Channel 4 producer is looking at the bright side of the a lockdown edition.

“He started to get excited about the idea of saying, ‘Look, no one’s ever broadcast the show in Britain when the host has been in Australia!’ He said, ‘It’ll be funny, you walk out of the garage at 8:30 in the morning, and it’ll be light, and we’ll be 10 o’clock at night.

So I guess this Channel 4 producer hasn't heard of I'm A Celebrity?

Also I may be assuming but trimmed amount of episodes to me implies more Gogglebox?
JK
JKDerry

Quote:

But while the number of episodes may be trimmed, Hills says his Channel 4 producer is looking at the bright side of the a lockdown edition.

“He started to get excited about the idea of saying, ‘Look, no one’s ever broadcast the show in Britain when the host has been in Australia!’ He said, ‘It’ll be funny, you walk out of the garage at 8:30 in the morning, and it’ll be light, and we’ll be 10 o’clock at night.

So I guess this Channel 4 producer hasn't heard of I'm A Celebrity?

Also I may be assuming but trimmed amount of episodes to me implies more Gogglebox?

Read Adam's sentence again - "Look, no one's ever broadcast the show" - he is not talking about I'm A Celebrity, he is clearly stating this is a first for The Last Leg.

Newer posts