TV Home Forum

One World Together

Split from Coronavirus | Schedule Changes (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVMan
The performances are all on YouTube anyway so most people who want to see them have already done so, this is more for the casual music fan I guess
BR
Brekkie
The presenters clearly can't be 2m apart when all three of them are on that stage together.
MA
Markymark
TVMan posted:
The performances are all on YouTube anyway so most people who want to see them have already done so, this is more for the casual music fan I guess

I'm a big fan of Casual Music 😝
BK
bkman1990
I had watched the condensed 2 hour event on RTÉ2 tonight. The studio for event was held with a black background in Studio 5.

The main logo for the event was shown twice on the big screens behind Dorieann Garrighy & Eoghan McDermott.

They both adhered to the social distancing protocols in the studio.

I thought it was disappointing that it did not include any of the Irish performers who did take part in the televised event like Niall Horan, Hozier & Picture This. I thought that they would have had the ability to let us see them without viewers having to depend on broadband connections to watch their performances online. This is still an issue within homes in rural Ireland where there is poor broadband connectivity present in some parts of the country. The audience at that point was told by Eoghan McDermott tonight that if they wanted to see them; they had to watch those performances online. I am not really clear in how these Irish acts did these performances whether they did them from home or probably did them on The Late Late Show over the past few weeks.

We did have some other Irish content available from people sending in clips from people who were being asked "What did you miss most from going through this pandemic?". We had messages of support from Taniaste Simon Coveney & from the staff at St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin. That hospital is only located down the road from RTÉ in Montrose.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, seems odd to do an Irish focused broadcast and then exclude the Irish acts.
AJ
AJB39
I watched RTE’s coverage of it, which consisted of most of the US prime time broadcast with very brief Irish inserts. I kept an eye on the BBC version as well. Most of what UK viewers missed were the Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel inserts and US orientated videos paying tribute to frontline staff and community workers over there. The BBC also didn’t show the inserts thanking the multinational companies for their donations. The BBC also showed a lot of the performances in a different order to RTÉ.
JC
JCB
Baffled as to what gave people the impression a show about the fight against covid-19 would be free of covid-19. It's like complaining 'Children In Need' focuses too much on children.... in need
MA
Markymark
JCB posted:
Baffled as to what gave people the impression a show about the fight against covid-19 would be free of covid-19. It's like complaining 'Children In Need' focuses too much on children.... in need

I agree, but where in this thread has anyone said they were surprised it had CV19 related content?
SW
Steve Williams
I'm glad of the UK studio bits, gives it a bit of context and a 'local' angle. Just having a couple of hours of music highlights isn't very BBC1 and isn't really that public service either.

It certainly wouldn't interest me without the studio bits, I've not heard or don't care for most of the singers

Well, I would agree with that, it's been mentioned on this thread that it was an unsuitable replacement for Antiques Roadshow and it would have been umpteen times worse if it was just the US show without familiar faces like Claudia and Dermot to guide us through it. You could argue it was a waste of a studio, but was it any less worthwhile than This Morning or The One Show, which are still being broadcast from studios every day? As mentioned, RTE had a studio for their version.

The presenters clearly can't be 2m apart when all three of them are on that stage together.

Well, they said they were, so I'd believe them. Everyone knows the social distancing requirements, so I don't know why you'd think they'd blithely ignore it on a very high profile show about the subject.
BR
Brekkie

Well, they said they were, so I'd believe them. Everyone knows the social distancing requirements, so I don't know why you'd think they'd blithely ignore it on a very high profile show about the subject.

Well Dermot O'Leary must have had a growth spurt in lockdown then.
JC
JCB
JCB posted:

I agree, but where in this thread has anyone said they were surprised it had CV19 related content?

Odd approach this from the Beeb. Given the concert took place last night and there were several hours of performances you'd have thought it would just be 'the best bits' of the concert and a respite from the situation we're all in currently.
Whereas whenever I catch any of it, it seems to be Dermot, Clara or Claudia and human stories with the odd musical performance and all it's doing is reminding more than ever how hopeless I feel in this situation.
MA
Markymark
JCB posted:
JCB posted:

Odd approach this from the Beeb. Given the concert took place last night and there were several hours of performances you'd have thought it would just be 'the best bits' of the concert and a respite from the situation we're all in currently.
Whereas whenever I catch any of it, it seems to be Dermot, Clara or Claudia and human stories with the odd musical performance and all it's doing is reminding more than ever how hopeless I feel in this situation.

I didn't interpret BFGArmy's comments as expecting the show to be 100% free of CV19 content, but rather it was a CV19 info/feature programme with the concert material used as filler ? (Which is how it came across to me)

Newer posts