TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TM
tmf9
Is 5star meant to be a youth orientated channel?. I watch my wife and kids and 8 simple rules on there.

It's aimed at the same demographic as BBC Three, E4 and ITV2.

It was in the past but not so much now. The schedule is much broader than it used to be and includes programmes that don't particularly appeal to younger viewers.

Over the next week there are programmes including The Nightmare Neighbour Next Door, Nightmare Tenants Slum Landlords, Aldi vs Lidl Supermarket Wars, 5 Mistakes That Caught a Killer, and various 'On Benefits' documentaries.

Repeats of 'House' previously on Paramount are off target too.
:-(
A former member
5’s channels are more about getting additional share and advertising revenue that having any sort of cultural impact in the way E4 once did.
TT
TellyTime
I personally believe both Channel 4 and Channel 5 have too many channels and need to refocus maybe close a station or 2 that way the existing budgets can be used more effectively

I think C4's stations all have a purpose and all do relatively well.
E4's long lost its purpose and hasn't been doing well at all for about two years. The channel's resorted to commissioning Celebrity Coach Trip and Celebrity Come Dine With Me for god's sake! Not to mention now being the fourth channel Don't Tell The Bride has appeared on. This from the channel that once brought us the Inbetweeners, Skins, Misfits and once looked untouchable in the demographic, now it can't launch an original sitcom with more than 50k viewers.

5 Star is still a very weird channel. I don't quite know why they're persisting with their originals strategy because no-one's watching any of them. Weird, boring, cheap programmes that are a lot like what was on the C5 of old and a lot of them don't seem to be aimed that young considering that's the demo they're supposed to be going for.

That's not fair. The originals on 5STAR usually make it into their weekly Top 10 and they've had some moderate successes, plus they wouldn't bother with them if they weren't bringing in the desired audience. They cannot rely solely on imports, repeats and movies.

Rich Kids Go Skint 262k
Rich Kids Skint Holiday 248k
Celebs on the Farm 200k
Young, Dumb & Banged Up In The Sun 200k
Britain's Naughtiest Nursery 228k
Murdered By... 205k
Me & My 10 Kids 218k
Filthy House SOS 258k
GO
gottago
I think C4's stations all have a purpose and all do relatively well.
E4's long lost its purpose and hasn't been doing well at all for about two years. The channel's resorted to commissioning Celebrity Coach Trip and Celebrity Come Dine With Me for god's sake! Not to mention now being the fourth channel Don't Tell The Bride has appeared on. This from the channel that once brought us the Inbetweeners, Skins, Misfits and once looked untouchable in the demographic, now it can't launch an original sitcom with more than 50k viewers.

5 Star is still a very weird channel. I don't quite know why they're persisting with their originals strategy because no-one's watching any of them. Weird, boring, cheap programmes that are a lot like what was on the C5 of old and a lot of them don't seem to be aimed that young considering that's the demo they're supposed to be going for.

That's not fair. The originals on 5STAR usually make it into their weekly Top 10 and they've had some moderate successes, plus they wouldn't bother with them if they weren't bringing in the desired audience. They cannot rely solely on imports, repeats and movies.

Rich Kids Go Skint 262k
Celebs on the Farm 200k
Murdered By... 205k
Me & My 10 Kids 218k
Filthy House SOS 258k

But on the face of it they're not good numbers at all, regardless of whether they're in the top 10. That's why I can't figure it out. I suppose they get a lot of repeat value out of them so probably build viewers over time but in terms of premiere numbers they're low.
TT
TellyTime
4's long lost its purpose and hasn't been doing well at all for about two years. The channel's resorted to commissioning Celebrity Coach Trip and Celebrity Come Dine With Me for god's sake! Not to mention now being the fourth channel Don't Tell The Bride has appeared on. This from the channel that once brought us the Inbetweeners, Skins, Misfits and once looked untouchable in the demographic, now it can't launch an original sitcom with more than 50k viewers.

Rich Kids Go Skint 262k
Celebs on the Farm 200k
Murdered By... 205k
Me & My 10 Kids 218k
Filthy House SOS 258k

But on the face of it they're not good numbers at all, regardless of whether they're in the top 10. That's why I can't figure it out. I suppose they get a lot of repeat value out of them so probably build viewers over time but in terms of premiere numbers they're low.

For a channel like 5STAR they are fine. As I say, they wouldn't bother with them if they weren't delivering the demos.
BR
Brekkie
They're pretty decent for a digital channel, especially a lower profile one.
TI
This Is Granada
Never mind 5Stars content, repeats, originals or imports.

The BIGGEST problem with 5Star/Select/USA/Paramount is the god awful poor quality picture on satellite. Soft, blocky, and truly terrible on any fast moving scenes.

I did hope that when Viacom bought C5, they would have improved the picture quality to full SD, but nope... never happened.

I only bother with C5 HD now.
:-(
A former member
I do wonder how long channels like 5Star can survive with such poor picture quality when streaming services are getting better and better in this regard.
JK
JKDerry
With 5USA I have always wondered why Columbo which airs back to back on a Sunday on it, has to be shared with ITV? Does anyone know why this happens?

Surely one television network would purchase the rights to air the show, is Columbo split between the two per episode, it certainly isn't down to 70s version versus the newer version, both ITV and 5USA air a mix bag of episodes

Any ideas? Thanks.
LL
London Lite Founding member
In all honesty, I largely watch programming from the 5 spin-off stable on My5 which isn't using 544x576 with a low bitrate on Freeview.
TT
TellyTime
On the rare occasion that I do watch any of the programmes on 5STAR / 5USA, I watch them in HD via Catch Up on Virgin Media.

Paramount Network is available in HD on Virgin Media, so that comes in handy for films.
ET
ethanh05
With 5USA I have always wondered why Columbo which airs back to back on a Sunday on it, has to be shared with ITV? Does anyone know why this happens?

Surely one television network would purchase the rights to air the show, is Columbo split between the two per episode, it certainly isn't down to 70s version versus the newer version, both ITV and 5USA air a mix bag of episodes

Any ideas? Thanks.

Well no one is watching it whatever channel it's on, so it doesn't really matter.

Newer posts