The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Pointless lives are one thing during normal times, I'm not clear why they are still permitted in the current period?

I believe the theory goes that a journo working from home can drive themselves to such a location and meet a lone operator who brings the SNG or VSat vehicle and everything is much more socially distant than if they were working out of the newsroom and did their piece from the studio.

Yes, that complies with the social distancing measures, but part of the guildlines also stipulate no unnecessary travel. We're supposed to be restricting travel, because roaming about increases the risk of accidents. Again I don't think driving scores of miles just to shoot some visual metaphors, is within the spirit of the lockdown.
AL
ALV
Nothing too interesting but the flipper "broke" briefly at around 1529 today at the NC where only the time bug is shown. (I'm not complaining anything just stating a fact! Zipper ) In my opinion, Breakfast should use this version of the clock to look more consistent with the NC output...
Last edited by ALV on 12 April 2020 4:47pm
CN
ClarkNarvas
ALV posted:
Nothing too interesting but the ticker "broke" briefly at around 1529 today at the NC where only the time bug is shown. (I'm not complaining anything just stating a fact! Zipper ) In my opinion, Breakfast should use this version of the clock to look more consistent with the NC output...

It looks really clean 😍
Ittr, Josh and BBI45 gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
Looks like News Channel and World News can also run the live bug independently the one on World comes up with a clock the one on BBC News dosent have a clock Sad I think they should introduce the clock for any lives not originating in the UK.
RK
Rkolsen
ALV posted:
Nothing too interesting but the flipper "broke" briefly at around 1529 today at the NC where only the time bug is shown. (I'm not complaining anything just stating a fact! Zipper ) In my opinion, Breakfast should use this version of the clock to look more consistent with the NC output...

One thing I always wondered if someone asks you the time would you say it’s 15:29 or 3:29 PM? And if you were telling someone you’d meet them for lunch at 7PM would you say 7PM or 19:00? If you’re using the 12 hour clock predominantly when speaking why is 24 hour clock used for schedules?
MA
Markymark

One thing I always wondered if someone asks you the time would you say it’s 15:29 or 3:29 PM? And if you were telling someone you’d meet them for lunch at 7PM would you say 7PM or 19:00? If you’re using the 12 hour clock predominantly when speaking why is 24 hour clock used for schedules?

Because the 24 hour clock is used for 'formalities' and 'timetabled' events in a large part (most of ?) of the world. It's North America that's at odds with that.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Probably for accuracy - you can't confuse 0700 with 1900 - whereas you could easily confuse 7.00 am with 7.00 pm if you glanced quickly. But saying "nineteen hundred hours" verbally sounds unnatural and too formal - unless you're reading a news bulletin on BBC World Service TV in 1992! I guess it's just one of life's little quirks.
RK
Rkolsen

Because the 24 hour clock is used for 'formalities' and 'timetabled' events in a large part (most of ?) of the world. It's North America that's at odds with that.

Probably for accuracy - you can't confuse 0700 with 1900 - whereas you could easily confuse 7.00 am with 7.00 pm if you glanced quickly. But saying "nineteen hundred hours" verbally sounds unnatural and too formal - unless you're reading a news bulletin on BBC World Service TV in 1992! I guess it's just one of life's little quirks.

Thanks, I have a digital clock (the kind that receives the atomic time from WWV Colorado), my iPhone and iPad are all set to 24 hours. I originally did it because of the BBC schedule times on the North American feed were given in the 24 hour format and I screwed up a few times on the conversion.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 12 April 2020 7:11pm
OM
OrmeMac
At one stage BBC Weather used the 12 hour am/pm format for their forecasts but changed to 24 hours because they said viewers didn’t know that 12am was midnight and 12pm was midday.
RK
Rkolsen
At one stage BBC Weather used the 12 hour am/pm format for their forecasts but changed to 24 hours because they said viewers didn’t know that 12am was midnight and 12pm was midday.

That’s a bit sad.
JA
james-2001

Considering they'd been using the 24 hour clock for 20 years before that, going back to the 12 hour one really was a step backwards.
ST
Stuart

It very much depends on culture. My friend is Czech, and always uses the 24 hour clock when arranging to meet. I also noticed when I was in the Czech Republic that all shop opening times are displayed using that format.

However, I'd be more concerned as to why someone wanted me to meet them for 'lunch' at 19:00 in the first place. Laughing

Newer posts