TV Home Forum

The Simpsons in the UK

(April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I got really excited having watched the same repeated episodes on BBC2 for years and then being amazingly disappointed at how unfunny the new episodes were.

The vast majority of episodes after season 11 are poor at best, and horrendous at worst (and 10 and 11 have a a lot of stinkers too). The fact it's still running 20 years after then is a suprising question.
JA
JAS84
Episodes of the show are available on 4 on Demand. I watched the Season 15 episode The Regina Monologues this morning.

Yeah, it was only added to All 4 recently, when Disney+ launched. Disney, Sky, and Channel 4 did a deal, granting both of them the streaming rights they'd always lacked. All 4 should now have recently aired episodes, while Sky has the entire Disney+ service, including all Simpsons episodes.
VM
VMPhil
The Simpsons remained a huge deal in this country well into the late noughties, gaining record viewers in 2006 on Sky for a Ricky Gervais guest episode that was heavily promoted.

Remember the tongue-in-cheek apology they ran during the break? I've got that on tape somewhere
CA
Caly123
The Simpsons remained a huge deal in this country well into the late noughties, gaining record viewers in 2006 on Sky for a Ricky Gervais guest episode that was heavily promoted.

Remember the tongue-in-cheek apology they ran during the break? I've got that on tape somewhere

Remember when they used the live-action opening from the Sky One promo for this episodes intro?
SW
Steve Williams
The last episode aired on BBC Two was, fittingly enough, the Season 11 finale, Behind the Laughter, on Friday May 7th, 2004, I know there was a mini hiatus before that: all in all, it was almost six months until Channel 4 started airing Seasons 2 and 12.

I remember an article that said the BBC held the rights to the series until 2006, even though they stopped airing it two years after 4 got the rights in 2002. In 2005, Channel 4 gave them the rights to Family Guy for BBC Two, and later BBC Three, which is how Seth McFarlane's other shows made it to terrestrial in the UK.

Not sure about that, I'm sure C4 hadn't shown Family Guy for many years when it started on BBC2. As far as I know, BBC2 bought the rights to American Dad, which they showed for the first time on British TV, and Family Guy got bundled in within it (much like how ITV2 have them all now). At the time American Dad got the lion's share of the promotion and they were shown back to back on Saturday nights, for a few weeks at least - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/2005-10-22#at-22.05

As you say, the last episode of The Simpsons on BBC2 was in May 2004, that was a repeat, and the last new episode was in January of that year. From around early 2003, BBC2 would often take The Simpsons off for a week or two to try and launch something else to potentially replace it, not that they ever really found anything, so for the last few months they were really rationing it.

TVVT posted:
BBC 2 for a while also gave The Simpsons a primetime slot in 1998.

Yes, although that was pretty much only there as a spoiler for the appalling ITV sitcom Babes In The Wood. They showed about half a dozen episodes in the 9pm slot but seemingly it didn't rate any better there than it did at 6pm, so they just kept it there. It was presumably also easier to show 22-minute shows at 6pm where there were loads more imports and less requirement to shove in filler shows to fill up a half hour slot. As mentioned, C4 also seemed to find 6pm did just as well as 9pm.
bitxoin and ToasterMan gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Never understood why there was such a lag between The Simpsons airing on Sky and then on terrestrial TV. In the 90s about six months seemed to be the standard when the likes of Friends and ER premiered on Sky then aired on C4, so for The Simpsons to be about 5 years behind - and still be 5 years behind, is somewhat of the exception.
JA
james-2001
Simpsons didn't appear on terrestrial until 1996- nearly 7 years after it began! Clearly some strange thing to do with the contracts.

Do they still have it so that Channel 4 and Sky One aren't showing the same seasons at the same time, or did that stop? I admit I stopped paying attention to that years ago. But it always seemed to be the case where BBC/Channel 4 had the rights to so many seasons, and Sky One would have the rest, and occasionally seasons switched between channels.
JO
Jonwo
Is the Channel 4 deal with The Simpsons a lifetime deal or can Disney in theory sell them again in the future?
BR
Brekkie
IIRC C4 can only show 5 archive seasons at any point. along with their "new" season.
SW
Steve Williams
Never understood why there was such a lag between The Simpsons airing on Sky and then on terrestrial TV. In the 90s about six months seemed to be the standard when the likes of Friends and ER premiered on Sky then aired on C4, so for The Simpsons to be about 5 years behind - and still be 5 years behind, is somewhat of the exception.

I assume Sky just wanted to keep the exclusive rights for as long as possible, and paid enough money to allow that to be the case, much like how in recent years they've bought both the pay and free TV rights for programmes with no intention of making them available free, just to stop another channel having them.
JA
JAS84
Some of those shows do sometimes, very belatedly, get shown free on Pick.
SW
Steve Williams
JAS84 posted:
Some of those shows do sometimes, very belatedly, get shown free on Pick.

True enough, but as you say, not until many years later. Sky's absolute priority is to keep them behind the paywall on Sky for as long as possible.

Newer posts