TV Home Forum

Coronavirus | Schedule Changes

(March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Probably be noted already but W are thanking the NHS etc at every continuity junction which I think is a smashing idea.

Yup, it was a quick dash behind the scenes to react to this.
NL
Ne1L C
I’m sure it’s appreciated.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'm surprised that network BBC1 or 2 haven't picked up Socially Distant with Susan Calman from BBC Scotland. At a time when new material is scarce it seems a wasted opportunity for this to be tucked away on a niche channel.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I'm surprised that network BBC1 or 2 haven't picked up Socially Distant with Susan Calman from BBC Scotland. At a time when new material is scarce it seems a wasted opportunity for this to be tucked away on a niche channel.

I'm guessing it relates to quotas or rules regarding original content for BBC Scotland. That said as the weekly episodes premiere on Thursday night's theoretically the BBC could then repeat them on network over the weekend.
JA
JAS84
It wouldn't be the only show airing on Scotland first and One or Two later. Also, it should, of course, also be available on iPlayer.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Limmy's Homemade Show (which is on immediately after Susan Calman) is getting a network repeat on Sundays.
GO
gottago
I noticed a trailer during Quiz last night for the rather ancient (in ITV1 terms) drama A Mother's Son from 2012 which is being repeated next week. It's a two part drama which I assume is being used to fill a Covid-related gap.

Also on Saturdays they're using Ninja Warrior repeats to fill the gap left by Epic Gameshow which will now be the main Saturday night show once BGT has finished rather than the lead-in show it was intended to be. Through The Keyhole repeats are being used to fill what I assume was going to be John Bishop at the Weekend which was a topical show announced a few months.
JO
Jonwo
I noticed a trailer during Quiz last night for the rather ancient (in ITV1 terms) drama A Mother's Son from 2012 which is being repeated next week. It's a two part drama which I assume is being used to fill a Covid-related gap.

Also on Saturdays they're using Ninja Warrior repeats to fill the gap left by Epic Gameshow which will now be the main Saturday night show once BGT has finished rather than the lead-in show it was intended to be. Through The Keyhole repeats are being used to fill what I assume was going to be John Bishop at the Weekend which was a topical show announced a few months.

I think ITV needed a two part drama to replace Honour which is now airing in the Autumn.
BR
Brekkie
Wonder how well rerunning something like Downton Abbey would go on the main channel at the moment. It's been rerun on ITV3 so don't think rights would be an issue, and it's been long enough since it originally began for it to feel relatively fresh again, plus I don't think it's ever really been repeated on the main channel. It's also a bit of escapism.
JO
Jonwo
Wonder how well rerunning something like Downton Abbey would go on the main channel at the moment. It's been rerun on ITV3 so don't think rights would be an issue, and it's been long enough since it originally began for it to feel relatively fresh again, plus I don't think it's ever really been repeated on the main channel. It's also a bit of escapism.

Broadcasting rights on ITV3 are a lot cheaper compared to ITV and I suspect ITV want to ensure they're not undermining Britbox where Downton Abbey is a selling point.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

Broadcasting rights on ITV3 are a lot cheaper compared to ITV and I suspect ITV want to ensure they're not undermining Britbox where Downton Abbey is a selling point.

That is where you just show the first series or two then point them in that direction. BritBox has probably benefited significantly from the lockdown as Disney+ has, it's the main channel they need to see through these tough times.
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:

That is where you just show the first series or two then point them in that direction. BritBox has probably benefited significantly from the lockdown as Disney+ has, it's the main channel they need to see through these tough times.

It's really the case of whether ITV wants to pay for those main channel repeats to Downton from Carnival/NBCUniversal when they could repeat something that's owned by an ITV Studios company that could do better at a fraction of the cost.

Newer posts