TV Home Forum

The Steph Show

Steph leaving BBC Breakfast for Channel 4 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Johnr
The trouble is it just seems to follow This Morning at the moment, who coincidentally enough had a chat with Jimmy Carr this morning, so ITV had a Channel 4 ‘star’ on before Steph was even on air!
WH
Whataday Founding member
With the developing Channel 4 situation I can't see this surviving with such a minuscule audience.
JO
Jonwo
The Steph Show always sounded like a bit of a self indulgent project
WH
Whataday Founding member
It's such an unimaginative commission. They could have done something a bit different using up and coming talent rather than throwing money at an established name and hoping for the best.
BR
Brekkie
Do wonder what the Jon and Lucy Richardson show may have looked like.
YO
yogibarney
Do wonder what the Jon and Lucy Richardson show may have looked like.

A studio version of their Dave show but not as “fictional”

It's such an unimaginative commission. They could have done something a bit different using up and coming talent rather than throwing money at an established name and hoping for the best.

The whole pitching for this series was they wanted an established name. Just I am not sure if the show as it is, is aimed at audience the original brief wanted. I have been working from home up to going on furlough yesterday and grant I’m a 34 white LGBT+ person. However I stuck my tv on BBC radio manchester during my “lunch break” rather than attempting to watch The Steph Show. I should give it a go at some point but nothing about it makes me want to watch it.
FA
fanoftv

Channel 4 commissioning a lunchtime programme that is a bit different to other daytime programmes featuring (at the time) upcoming talent... 🤔

DE88, paul_hadley and Whataday gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
Cando posted:
130,000 (1.6%) share yesterday

Same figure yesterday as well and the lowest rating show on Channel 4 between 9am and 6pm
WH
what
I can see why. No offence to Steph, but it feels thrown together. She wasn’t a core part of the format, they literally said in the initial pitch that they wanted it to be fronted by someone well-known to the British public. It feels disjointed and slow. I’m not surprised, given Channel 4 has never really made an effort during the daytime, and these forthcoming budget cuts leave me doubtful it’ll get better with time.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, daytime needs to be a complete schedule and I suspect if you compared the BBC1 and ITV audience during the day there isn't much hopping back and forth. The sum of the parts is almost always stronger than any individual show, and since C4 lost it's late afternoon dominance they have really struggled.

Losing the relatively cheap PSB element of schools programmes in the morning left them with hours to fill and nothing to fill it with. As for breakfast - they're still pretty much cycling the same US comedies as they were back in 2004 when RI:SE was axed.

C4 is always strongest when they're different and that has been lost across the last decade especially. Light Lunch and The Big Breakfast were a complete contrast to what other channels were doing at the time and trendsetters. I wouldn't run this show too much longer in it's current form if they want it to have a chance when it switches to the studio. The really need to look at the best time to air it too - later afternoon where it is more of a point of difference to the ITV offering especially might give it a better chance.
ET
ethanh05
Yes, daytime needs to be a complete schedule and I suspect if you compared the BBC1 and ITV audience during the day there isn't much hopping back and forth. The sum of the parts is almost always stronger than any individual show, and since C4 lost it's late afternoon dominance they have really struggled.

Losing the relatively cheap PSB element of schools programmes in the morning left them with hours to fill and nothing to fill it with. As for breakfast - they're still pretty much cycling the same US comedies as they were back in 2004 when RI:SE was axed.

C4 is always strongest when they're different and that has been lost across the last decade especially. Light Lunch and The Big Breakfast were a complete contrast to what other channels were doing at the time and trendsetters. I wouldn't run this show too much longer in it's current form if they want it to have a chance when it switches to the studio. The really need to look at the best time to air it too - later afternoon where it is more of a point of difference to the ITV offering especially might give it a better chance.

In fairness, they don't particularly need a trendsetting breakfast format - the one they have is cheap enough to run, whilst also simultaneously okay (and they probably rate about as much as C4 expects), but anything original would probably be beaten by BBC or ITV.

But I do agree, the show needs a big rethink if the plan is this with a studio. It's basically interchangeable from This Morning or Jeremy Vine, and for Channel 4 that's almost a cardinal sin.
Jeffmister and Brekkie gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
In the days when we only had 4/5 channels and BBC1 and ITV showed kids programmes in the afternoon, Channel 4 daytime was quite easy to fill and got an audience. As said mornings weren’t a problem, as you had The BB or RI:SE and then Schools until lunchtime. I think when BBC1 was freed of afternoon kids programmes this really dented Channel 4 the most, alongside a stronger ITV afternoon line up.

You had a period where they had a strong line up with Deal or No Deal, Richard & Judy and Paul O’Grady. However they let DoND run far too long and never found suitable replacements for R&J and POG, maybe to the point where no one notices the channel in the afternoon.

The thing is Channel 4 daytime is cheap, feels cheap and looks cheap. It’s the type of thing you feel the powers that be are happy to carry on with, as it’s convenient. I like Channel 4, I really do, but daytime is so weak, poor and unimaginative in comparison to the evening schedule. I’ve not seen The Steph Show yet so it’s not for me to say, but if you want it to impact then 12:00pm is not the right slot. Why not 3:00pm or 4:00pm?

Newer posts