« Topics
Markymark8,228 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
[
Richard Skinner mentioned another example during Radio 1 Vintage, he was a newsreader and wanted to become a DJ and had done a couple of pilots, and then one day Tommy Vance's plane was delayed and he couldn't get back for his show, and Skinner was the only person in the building called a presenter so was asked to do it.

That said, Skinner was a 'DJ' for BBC Solent, in the early 70s. Similar mischievous style to Timmy Mallet and Les Ross. He would invite listeners to send their old socks to neighbouring BBC Brighton. As a 9/10 year old at the time, he was the reason I tuned into Solent!
Schwing247 posts since 13 Oct 2004
BBC World News
Its blatantly obvious that lockdown won't end on Monday, and the government will announce the fact in due course, but so many reporters are wanting to trip up one of the spokespersons to let something slip, so they can add meat to those bones, and announce that the lockdown is being extended and cause panic.

I find myself both agreeing and disagreeing with you. Yes, it's blatantly obvious the lockdown will not end on Monday. I'm not convinced that the reporters necessarily are trying trip anybody up. I think the reporters are trying to get a bit of clarity on the situation. If you think about it, it reads like a script from Yes, Prime Minister.

Reporter: A decision needs to be made. Who can make that decision?
Politican: The PM
Reporter: The PM is in hospital.
Politician: Yes. So we have to wait.
Reporter: But the PM asked the Foreign Secretary to take over.
Politican: Yes, but the FS is in charge at Cabinet. The Cabinet makes the decisions. That's the system we have. First among equals and all that.
Reporter: Does that mean that the PM doesn't make the decisions? If that's the case, the Cabinet can make the decision.
Politican: Yes. No. I mean... err... Look here, the lockdown will be lifted when a decision is made.
Reporter: Who will make that decision? The PM? The Cabinet? The FS?
Politican: All of them.
Pete, BBI45 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
Ne1L C1,826 posts since 11 Sep 2011
With the Prime Minister out of action, should the government want to address the nation like Boris’s address two weeks ago, would there be any hurdles towards this?

I gather that the Prime Minister himself holds the legal right with PSB’s to issue an address to the nation and mandate PSB’s to broadcast this collectively, but do the government?

If they wanted to issue another address to the nation declaring an extension to the lockdown, would this only now be able to happen under the agreement of the broadcasters?

Obviously the Government have rights to issue PIF’s for broadcast by PSB’s but I think these still are under the individual broadcasters control as to when they can be aired.

Of course, I’m very sure broadcasters would agree to broadcast an address from the government, but was just curious if the buck was more with the broadcasters given the current situation?

I think under the circumstances the PSB requirement would be passed to Dominic Raab who would probably say he was acting on Johnson’s behalf and with his explicit permission.
Ne1L C1,826 posts since 11 Sep 2011
Putting aside the review angle. I'm sure no government of any political persuasion would want to be accused of lying and/or misleading the public in such a trying situation (although I'm convinced no government is pure). I don't know what the inner thinking is of the government but I'm going to take an educated guess and say the absolute last thing that they want is for the country to collapse into chaos by the public breaking the restrictions en masse and rioting. That would lead to the virus killing hundreds of thousands more people

NB the next part of this entry is purely an example

In 2004 the BBC had a show called "Crisis Command". Presented by Gavin Esler it depicted various fictional threats to the nation and challenged various people on how to deal with it through a series of choices. One of the episodes was about a virus. Now 2 episodes do exist on YouTube (neither about the virus)

Now I'm NOT saying that the government's thinking is in any way, shape or form matches anything in this show it does provide a possibility into what the government may or not know/feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjkSeuD-8yA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUWyJ7IRzjg
thegeek5,526 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London

Broadcasters will act responsibly as they have done throughout. Even if a government message is by the PM I don't think any PSB is obliged to show it.

According to this page, "the BBC has an obligation to provide air time for a broadcast by the Prime Minister or other senior minister, so long as there are exceptional circumstances," but I'm having trouble finding anything which states where that obligation stems from.
Brekkie gave kudos
Media Box47 posts since 8 Dec 2018
Honestly surprised ITV haven’t put Piers up to ask any yet.

Not sure how serious this question is, but attendance at most government press conferences (especially those at Downing Street) is usually restricted to members of the Lobby (political journalists accredited to cover political news and attend lobby briefings etc).

I can't say for certain, but doubt Piers is a member of the Lobby - although you would expect GMB's roster to include reporters who are.
valley136 posts since 9 Feb 2020

Not sure how serious this question is, but attendance at most government press conferences (especially those at Downing Street) is usually restricted to members of the Lobby (political journalists accredited to cover political news and attend lobby briefings etc).

I can't say for certain, but doubt Piers is a member of the Lobby - although you would expect GMB's roster to include reporters who are.

Piers is not on the list - which is available here https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmjournl/register.pdf.

EDIT: Although worth pointing out that Mark Austin isn't a member of the Lobby (based on the list), but asked a question yesterday.
MatthewF (previously Matt14451) 273 posts since 12 Jul 2019
Central (West) Midlands Today

Piers is not on the list - which is available here https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmjournl/register.pdf.

EDIT: Although worth pointing out that Mark Austin isn't a member of the Lobby (based on the list), but asked a question yesterday.

Pallab Ghosh asked a question last weekend and isn't on the list either
No further posts are being accepted for this topic