TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EX
excel99
1200 is an odd time for a show with no support in the schedule. None of the other four terrestrials would normally have a 1200 junction. I'd agree with 1230 being a better time slot, but even 1215 would arguably be better as it would be aligned with BBC1/BBC2 (4 days a week when Politics Live is on) and C5.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Box Plus so far haven't adopted the Stay at Home message, however they have this afternoon applied promo titles to 4Music, The Box, Box Hits, Kiss and Magic highlighting the Clap for Carers: Tonight @ 8PM, it's only Kerrang! that isn't displaying the same message.
JO
Josh

AndrewPSSP, richard h and Markymark gave kudos
DB
dbl
1200 is an odd time for a show with no support in the schedule. None of the other four terrestrials would normally have a 1200 junction. I'd agree with 1230 being a better time slot, but even 1215 would arguably be better as it would be aligned with BBC1/BBC2 (4 days a week when Politics Live is on) and C5.

Although you could argue that most people are at home now, a lot of the digital channels have adjusted their schedules because of this lockdown.
PF
PFML84
4 Music is now showing a ‘Thank You NHS’ banner under the DOG.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
4Music is now showing a ‘Thank You NHS’ banner under the DOG.

As with The Box, Box Hits, Kiss and Magic, as I mentioned earlier with the clapping reminder

13 days later

OM
Omnipresent
Broadcast (paywall) is reporting that Channel 4 is due to announce cost-saving measures this afternoon:

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/channel-4/c4-poised-to-unveil-coronavirus-emergency-plan/5148892.article

Also, Deadline has a longer feature on whether privatisation may be back on the agenda:

https://deadline.com/2020/04/channel-4-privatization-coronavirus-1202902392/
GO
gottago
Channel 4 potential privatisation is back on the cards again. This was already being discussed pre-Covid but could well be accelerated once the crisis is over with the government scrambling for cash and the channel likely to request a bailout. They could wait for the channel to return to profitability before flogging it but with the current dreadful management in place that's never going to happen. C4 paid out £5 million in bonuses just last week; ITV execs have taken a 20% pay cut and forgone their bonuses. Now C4 are going to ask for access to its £75 million emergency fund and are expected to announce a huge slashing in the amount of commissions it takes today. Realistically I think this is the beginning of the end for the channel as we know it but given how driven into the ground it's been since Katz took over, something had to give.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/channel-4-privatization-coronavirus-1202902392/

EDIT: Beaten to it!
BR
Brekkie
Disgusting if they took their bonuses just last week, but not surprising given C4 execs of late. Highlights the real cost of the unnecessary move to Leeds too, purely for political reasons.

I'm not so worried now about privatisation as I think that somewhat unshackles the channel from the government of the day, though if anything the current crisis highlights how the government shouldn't be selling off things for political reasons.
GO
gottago
Actually forgive me, it appears the bonuses were paid last month but only announced last week as they looked to access the emergency fund. Still not great timing in the grand scheme of things and the current execs have yet to generate a single returning hit during their time at the channel. Everything that has been a success has predated them by years.
OM
Omnipresent
Channel 4 has just published details of its financial plans:

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-sets-out-financial-plan-navigate-organisation-through-impact-covid-19-crisis

Quote:
Therefore, we have today outlined a number of immediate financial measures which, taken now, will enable us to successfully navigate through the crisis and protect Channel 4’s ongoing ability to serve its audience and invest in the UK creative industries.

All executive and non-executive Board members have taken an immediate voluntary 20% pay cut. At the request of the executive Board members the remuneration committee has decided to suspend the 2020 bonus scheme for executive directors.

We expect to reduce the 2020 content budget by £150m. This reflects both the difficulties of producing programmes and films in the current environment, as well as some extremely difficult decisions to delay or cancel some content across Channel 4, E4 and More 4 across the year. Channel 4 will maintain its support for the creative sector – continuing to commission and develop content for 2020 and 2021 – with ringfenced funding for small. Nations & regions and BAME-led independent producers (further details below).

A further £95m of savings will be achieved across the organisation through a full review of planned projects and investments, including a reduction in marketing budgets.

In order to provide additional liquidity and working capital through this unprecedented economic period we have drawn down on the commercial £75m revolving credit facility (RCF) that has been in place since 2018.

We remain focused on safeguarding the jobs and protecting the livelihoods of Channel 4 staff but have undertaken a comprehensive review of our people costs, which will include a full recruitment freeze for all but business critical roles and a review of all third-party costs.

Additionally, we will participate in the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and today we will be opening discussions on furloughing with around 10% of Channel 4 staff, whose roles are impacted by the current circumstances.
GO
gottago
There's a bit further down about E4 having projects postponed or cancelled. I know of one new big E4 reality show made in my building that's been completely scrapped. I actually think that's pretty much it for new shows on E4 now. None of their new shows have rated at all over the last few years. New sitcom Maxxx got a measly 50k on Thursday. It's just not a channel people want to watch any more. I can see it having new Made in Chelsea, perhaps Celebs Go Dating and then the rest of the schedule will just be repeats and cheaper acquisitions.

And I'm pretty sure More4's recentish originals strategy will be down the toilet too.

Newer posts