The Newsroom

UK Prime Minister | TV News Coverage

Boris Johnson Leaves Intensive Care (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
peterh
The issue here is the British pm being hospital brings the question as to who’s in charge and is eventually guiding the government to when there are a lot less infections and deaths so that the story angle, and as its uk news that’s a very major story, so a major chunk of the news time is given over - as part of the process of news values.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
BR
Brekkie
ITV News probably could have done with the extra half hour tonight to do everything justice - I'm not saying what ITV News showed wasn't worthwhile, but it did seem to be at the expense of their usual round up of the wider picture across the UK and around the world. As others have said too there is an air of "journalists know best" going around at the moment with how they're approaching the Boris story in particular.

Maybe for some people Boris's condition will be the point it sinks in (for me it was when Charles tested positive that I realised nobody was immune) and of course there are serious questions about the leadership of the country - for what it's worth I think Boris has handled it pretty well given the circumstances.

It's also worth saying that I've always felt in situations like this it doesn't do anybody any favours to have continued reporting and speculating on somebodies condition and that out of respect for the patient and their family the media need to accept that they'll get brief updates as and when necessary. I'm trying to think who it was and I've a feeling it wasn't a Royal or senior politician but remember a story a few years back with a major name in hospital and it pretty much feeling like the whole media were on death watch and just treated it as a story with little respect for the person at the centre of it.
BBI45, Ben Shatliff and Ne1L C gave kudos
BS
Ben Shatliff
ITV News probably could have done with the extra half hour tonight to do everything justice - I'm not saying what ITV News showed wasn't worthwhile, but it did seem to be at the expense of their usual round up of the wider picture across the UK and around the world. As others have said too there is an air of "journalists know best" going around at the moment with how they're approaching the Boris story in particular.

Maybe for some people Boris's condition will be the point it sinks in (for me it was when Charles tested positive that I realised nobody was immune) and of course there are serious questions about the leadership of the country - for what it's worth I think Boris has handled it pretty well given the circumstances.

It's also worth saying that I've always felt in situations like this it doesn't do anybody any favours to have continued reporting and speculating on somebodies condition and that out of respect for the patient and their family the media need to accept that they'll get brief updates as and when necessary. I'm trying to think who it was and I've a feeling it wasn't a Royal or senior politician but remember a story a few years back with a major name in hospital and it pretty much feeling like the whole media were on death watch and just treated it as a story with little respect for the person at the centre of it.

You are spot on.

Was it Michael Schumacher after the skiing accident?
NL
Ne1L C

Sadly that is very true. I spoke earlier about news values. The theory is sound but the way its put into practice is driven by the need for ratings and not realising there is a human being behind the story

Boris Johnson's case is somewhat different. The Prime Minister, the leader of the government which is co-ordinating the drive (alongside the incredible NHS) to combat the virus has himself contracted the virus.

Now while we're all hoping he pulls through there is the risk of his passing away and in an historical context become only the second PM to die in office (*) so therefore the media feel that they have to keep focusing on his condition lest the ultimate happens

As I've said in previous posts the media, the NHS and the country as a whole are in a state of turmoil where no-one knows what will happen in 1 hour or 24 hours so "the rulebook has had to be ripped up and is being rewritten "on the fly"

* For the record the only ( and hopefully Prime Minister to die in office was Spencer Perceval in 1812.)
Last edited by Ne1L C on 7 April 2020 9:56pm - 2 times in total
BK
bkman1990
Joey Jones, Former Advisor to Theresa May when she was PM, is talking to Miriam O'Callaghan on RTÉ's Prime Time via live webcam.

He is talking about some big rumours from the British media that Labour Party Leader Keir Starmer could come in as acting PM in a government of national unity when Boris Johnson is still in hospital for Covid-19. That could be massive unprecedented news for Keir Starmer;s current position given that he has only been elected to take over Labour from Jeremy Corbyn a few days ago if he ever gets the nod to become Caretaker PM. But could that move ever be possible to go ahead at this stage given that the tories currently have a majority in parliament? Is there any one there credible in the tory government to take over BJ's jobs while he is out sick with this virus?
Last edited by bkman1990 on 7 April 2020 10:08pm
BR
Brekkie

You are spot on.

Was it Michael Schumacher after the skiing accident?

No, think it was someone in the UK. Could be thinking about Jade Goody but I think there was an example more recent than that.
NL
Ne1L C
I think it was Jade Goody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWqvWFUj51k&feature=emb_logo
WO
Worzel
Joey Jones, Former Advisor to Theresa May when she was PM, is talking to Miriam O'Callaghan on RTÉ's Prime Time via live webcam.

He is talking about some big rumours from the British media that Labour Party Leader Keir Starmer could come in as acting PM in a government of national unity when Boris Johnson is still in hospital for Covid-19. That could be massive unprecedented news for Keir Starmer;s current position given that he has only been elected to take over Labour from Jeremy Corbyn a few days ago if he ever gets the nod to become Caretaker PM. But could that move ever be possible to go ahead at this stage given that the tories currently have a majority in parliament? Is there any one there credible in the tory government to take over BJ's jobs while he is out sick with this virus?

Not in the government, but Theresa May is still an MP so could reprise the role for a bit (if she really wanted to). However because she isn't a minister or in the cabinet, I don't know how that would happen.

There have been calls for her to return to the job on social media with the potential support of Keir Starmer (and from the outside, David Cameron and Tony Blair in a support/advisory capacity). She was talking to the BBC today in a rare interview and came across better than some of those who've been leading the tea time Downing Street press briefings.

Personally, I think we're getting to a situation where a national government of unity is really needed, possibly with shadow secretary's supporting their counterparts and bringing in support at the top level from the likes of former PMs Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, John Major and David Cameron for example. However I think its unlikely to happen.

Sorry to go off on a ramble!
SL
Shaun Linden
A national government of unity is not going to happen.

Political commentators need to stop wetting themselves over the idea.

Raab is overseeing day to day, the cabinet is strong.
AS
AlexS

Not in the government, but Theresa May is still an MP so could reprise the role for a bit (if she really wanted to). However because she isn't a minister or in the cabinet, I don't know how that would happen.

There have been calls for her to return to the job on social media with the potential support of Keir Starmer (and from the outside, David Cameron and Tony Blair in a support/advisory capacity). She was talking to the BBC today in a rare interview and came across better than some of those who've been leading the tea time Downing Street press briefings.

Personally, I think we're getting to a situation where a national government of unity is really needed, possibly with shadow secretary's supporting their counterparts and bringing in support at the top level from the likes of former PMs Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, John Major and David Cameron for example. However I think its unlikely to happen.

Sorry to go off on a ramble!

It depends what the aim is. If the aim is to placate those on Mumsnet and Digital Spy some form of Labour led government of 'unity' may be a good idea. If the actual aim (which I'd hope it would be) is to minimise the impact of COVID19 forming a government formed of what many see as the old boys (and girls) network would be frankly terrible. Many would see it as yet more proof that the establishment believe they have a devine right to lead the country from their metropolitan bubble and would simply ignore what such a government had to say.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, as much as I can't stand much of the cabinet I think they're not doing too badly - even Gove and Raab have managed to come across as somewhat competent. Also this government has a huge majority now and frankly Labour won't want any part of it anyway as they'll be the ones who ultimately hold the handling of this to account once we're out of this crisis.
BBI45 and Ben Shatliff gave kudos

Newer posts