TV Home Forum

Children's BBC/CBBC on Nickelodeon (1996-99)

(April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TM
ToasterMan
Unless you had cable or satellite during the mid-late 90's, the chances are you have little recollection of CBBC on Nickelodeon: what I believe to be one of, if not Auntie's earliest dip-their-toes into the multi-channel landscape in its native country.

The strand started in 1996, and was hosted by the CBBC puppet presenter at the time, Otis the Aardvark: the programming was no less different than that of CBBC on Choice a few years later: primarily aimed at a pre-school audience; (your Postman Pat, Playdays, Noddy, Fireman Sam, etc), the strand ended on July 16th, 1999, I assume because the BBC had already launched Choice and Knowledge and no longer wanted to be associated with a commercial rival.

However, when the BBC had it's corporate overhaul in October 1997, CBBC on Nick was off for a week and returned with new titles and graphics to match the new look of the flagship channels strand, and a brand new puppet presenter... Marvin P. Porcuvark; (I assume he was Emlyn the Gremlyn's forgotten cousin.)

One thing that particularly strikes me is the set, which is completely different from either Pres A or TC9, I assume it was one of Viacom's on lease by the Beeb? Also, as the BBC runs as a commercial free organisation in its homeland, there were no advert breaks during CBBC on Nick.
Last edited by ToasterMan on 7 April 2020 2:08pm
IS
Inspector Sands
Unless you had cable or satellite during the mid-late 90's, the chances are you have little recollection of CBBC on Nickelodeon: what I believe to be one of, if not Auntie's earliest dip-their-toes into the multi-channel landscape in its native country.

By 1996 they part owned two commercial satellite channels - UK Gold and UK Living. Although apart from the archive programmes it supplied there was no BBC branding or any new BBC content

Incidently UK Living had a kids slot at one point, it took over the 'Tiny TCC' slot when The Children's Channel closed down and it became 'Tiny Living'
Nathan and ToasterMan gave kudos
TV
TVVT
A reason why CBBC may have had a slot on Nickelodeon was because on Sky in those days, BBC 1 and BBC 2 were not on the service, so the block could have been for youngsters whose parents may have switched to Sky, when Sky Digital came around it had every BBC channel of that time, rendering the CBBC on Nick strand as useless.
JA
JAS84
Surely people who had Sky would still also have terrestrial?
NW
nwtv2003

By 1996 they part owned two commercial satellite channels - UK Gold and UK Living. Although apart from the archive programmes it supplied there was no BBC branding or any new BBC content

Incidently UK Living had a kids slot at one point, it took over the 'Tiny TCC' slot when The Children's Channel closed down and it became 'Tiny Living'

The ‘Tiny Living’ slot was in place before TCC closed, although I’m not sure how long it had been in place for prior to TCC ending.

I wonder whether CBBC on Nick was part of an agreement at the time, as the BBC had the rights to a lot of Nickelodeon originals in the mid 1990s, notably Rugrats, Kenan & Kel, Clarissa Explains It All and Ren & Stimpy to name a few.

During the late 1990’s a number of Nickelodeon programmes started to appear on ITV and Channel 4.
Nathan and ToasterMan gave kudos
JA
james-2001
and a brand new puppet presenter... Marvin P. Porcuvark; (I assume he was Emlyn the Gremlyn's forgotten cousin.)

More likely Otis's illegitimate lovechild Razz
Nathan, ToasterMan and DJ Dave gave kudos
TI
TIGHazard

The ‘Tiny Living’ slot was in place before TCC closed, although I’m not sure how long it had been in place for prior to TCC ending.

I wonder whether CBBC on Nick was part of an agreement at the time, as the BBC had the rights to a lot of Nickelodeon originals in the mid 1990s, notably Rugrats, Kenan & Kel, Clarissa Explains It All and Ren & Stimpy to name a few.

During the late 1990’s a number of Nickelodeon programmes started to appear on ITV and Channel 4.

although Wild Thornberrys and Fairly Odd Parents still appeared on the BBC after this.
JA
james-2001
Late 1990s? Rocko's Modern Life was on Channel 4 in 1993, Aaah Real Monsters was on there not long after.
WH
Whataday Founding member
One thing that particularly strikes is the set, which is completely different from either Pres A or TC9, I assume it was one of Viacom's on lease by the Beeb?

The links were recorded in Pres A.
NW
nwtv2003
Late 1990s? Rocko's Modern Life was on Channel 4 in 1993, Aaah Real Monsters was on there not long after.

Was it as early as 1993? I stand corrected.
JA
james-2001
Might have been 1994 seeing as it only started in September 1993 in the US, but it definitely wasn't any later.

There's a trailer from August 1994 here, looks like this is when they started showing it:

This clip has the same trailer and also shows they were showing Doug at the same time:
Last edited by james-2001 on 7 April 2020 1:35pm
CA
Caly123

although Wild Thornberrys and Fairly Odd Parents still appeared on the BBC after this.

Let's not forget Rugrats, which was on CBBC from 4 April 1993 to 17 February 2005 then it moved to CITV later on.

Also, Arthur, Mona the Vampire and Rotten Ralph also aired Nickelodeon as well.

Newer posts