TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
The below video is a compilation clips from the first episode to be recorded after Angus' 'scandal'.

While they all partake in the ribbing, Paul seems to take particular delight in it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8ij02Df2w

The worst thing about this episode, and something I’ve noticed with Angus, is that he cannot improvise a comeback to save his life. So when you’re up against Ian and especially Paul, who can come up with a witty riposte at a moment’s notice, it’s almost excruciating. You’re just willing him to get his own back and he doesn’t.

There was a relatively recent interview with Angus, possibly in The Times, where he said he found it strange how Paul started saying they were never friends, as they both often went drinking together after a recording and talking about how successful the show was.

On the Best of 1990-2002 DVD, which was released after the first set of allegations but before the second set which ultimately got him sacked, only Paul and Ian do the commentary, so I don’t know if that points to them not being friendly with Angus by that point.
BR
Brekkie
Paul and Ian must be the longest regular panelists on such a show, though didn't Paul leave for a series or two only to return, I think replaced by guest panelists.

It is one of those shows though you can just dip into - I probably only watch one complete episode most series.
:-(
A former member
Did Paul present one episode?
VM
VMPhil
Did Paul present one episode?

Yes, he presented the episode immediately after Angus was sacked.

As well as the one series he missed (as Brekkie mentioned), Paul was also sick for one episode about ten years ago and replaced by Frank Skinner.
JA
james-2001
Whereas Ian has done every episode, even discharging himself from hospital once to do it.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Paul and Ian must be the longest regular panelists on such a show, though didn't Paul leave for a series or two only to return, I think replaced by guest panelists.

It is one of those shows though you can just dip into - I probably only watch one complete episode most series.

He left for one series, but appeared as a Guest Panelist on the first episode of the series as part of Ian's team.
DW
DavidWhitfield
The below video is a compilation clips from the first episode to be recorded after Angus' 'scandal'.

While they all partake in the ribbing, Paul seems to take particular delight in it all.

The worst thing about this episode, and something I’ve noticed with Angus, is that he cannot improvise a comeback to save his life.

I saw this more as a 'not even going to dignify that with an answer' method of dealing with it. I think the very dry manner in which Angus responds adds to the comedy of it all, especially at, say 7:31 in the clip I posted where Paul reveals the T-shirt featuring the front page of The News of the World after Angus asks a question and he leaves it just long enough for the laughter to die down before saying "...is the wrong answer". I think it's just his style of comedy and not at all proof of him not being quick-witted enough to 'compete' with Ian and Paul.
AndrewPSSP, Whataday and Custard56 gave kudos
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 3:42pm
A former member
Had a glance at the list on Wikipedia of all the guest hosts. Some I don’t remember and a few others I was surprised by - didn’t realise Boris had presented it 3 times. I don’t remember Jimmy Carr but I imagine he’d be pretty good.
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 3:42pm
CA
Cando

The worst thing about this episode, and something I’ve noticed with Angus, is that he cannot improvise a comeback to save his life.

I saw this more as a 'not even going to dignify that with an answer' method of dealing with it. I think the very dry manner in which Angus responds adds to the comedy of it all, especially at, say 7:31 in the clip I posted where Paul reveals the T-shirt featuring the front page of The News of the World after Angus asks a question and he leaves it just long enough for the laughter to die down before saying "...is the wrong answer". I think it's just his style of comedy and not at all proof of him not being quick-witted enough to 'compete' with Ian and Paul.

His 2 seasons as presenter of Would I lie to you?, sadly proved to me that it was the superb team of writers on HIGNY that made him. He was lost without a tight script and had zero improvisational skills. "Bognor or Bust" was even worse.
Last edited by Cando on 6 April 2020 2:22am
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'd highly recommend The Very Best Of Have I Got News For You DVD which is a three hour compilation of highlights from the first episode until the one with the News of the World t-shirt. The best thing about it is the entire compilation has a commentary from Ian and Paul, who have great chemistry together, and share some great anecdotes about the series. It's the main reason I think they should be the only panellists if there's no audience.

Newer posts