TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2020

Returning February! (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
the series started rather weak, in fact on catch up I found myself skipping lots of Place on the Plane related items. Over reliance on Product placement related items seemed to restrict the fun and variety of the programme. Mid series it peaked with the last two studio based shows when Covid started to impact. Made it so more watchable for me. The last two shows were decent trips down memory lane and preferable to any Disneyland show.

We pretty much all said the show suffered in the early episodes from bring too tightly formatted and Ant and Dec not having the freedom they seemingly had in earlier series so it is no surprise that as the running order was ripped up the whole thing flowed much more naturally.
itvblocks and fanoftv gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
A bit of a surprise and early sign how desperate channels may be for content but Ten are resurrecting the Australian version, which had it's first and last series last year, as Takeaway Reheated, complete with new at home contributions from the hosting team.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/04/airdate-takeaway-reheated.html
JO
Josh
Missed opportunity for the Saturday Night Takeaway branding.

11 days later

EM
Emily.hull654
How do the Saturday Night Takeaway series finales comply with Ofcom product placement regulations???
HC
Hatton Cross
If the Product Placement double 'P' logo appears for at least 3 seconds at anytime during the opening titles, or break bumpers - they are fine.
BR
Brekkie
They'd have been fine under the old rules anyway as long as the resort only covered the cost of doing the show there rather than paying them to go there.
EM
Emily.hull654
They'd have been fine under the old rules anyway as long as the resort only covered the cost of doing the show there rather than paying them to go there.

When you say "under the old rules", does that mean that they won't be fine next year?
Sorry if that's a stupid question but I don't really understand the product placement rules.
BR
Brekkie

When you say "under the old rules", does that mean that they won't be fine next year?
Sorry if that's a stupid question but I don't really understand the product placement rules.

No, under the rules before Product Placement was allowed. Previously products could be supplied for competitions or on location shows with no money exchanging hands but Product Placement allowed companies to pay to be featured.
EM
Emily.hull654

No, under the rules before Product Placement was allowed. Previously products could be supplied for competitions or on location shows with no money exchanging hands but Product Placement allowed companies to pay to be featured.

Oh ok. Thank you for clarifying. I just thought that the series finales wouldn't comply with the fact that product placement cannot be editorial.
EM
Emily.hull654
Does anyone know, what percentage of Saturday Night Takeaway viewers are ABC1?
Thanks in advance.
AS
Admiral Sven

For example, Ant and Dec did an Undercover on Simon Cowell on American Idol in 2005, nine years before product placement was permitted. When the British version was shown on SNT, you'll notice the judges' cups are blurred out at 1:11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjUWEBcnQz0

When this was actually aired on American Idol the cups are sponsored by Coca-Cola, in a cup by Simon at 33:50 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92Re_WAkoE

That's what product placement is - if the original were to ever be shown in Britain they'd need to put the P icon at the bottom-right corner.
GM
Gary McEwan
Thankfully though our Product Placement is nowhere extreme as is it in America. You see it on almost every big entertainment show. Dunkin Donuts even had PP on one of the shows over there.

Newer posts