Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

(November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
One reason why it seems to be taking so long, I'm wondering if it's because they have to reprogramme the app to have some sort of option to choose which version to watch? Otherwise they'd need to have both versions listed which they've probably decided would confuse people.

And I'm still hoping they don't forget about the 16:9 cropped versions of the other shows I've mentioned.
KU
Kunst
I see Boy Meets World season 3 has been removed from Disney+ Italy, for some strange reasons

Is it the same in the UK?
JA
james-2001
Just checked, it's still there in the UK.

A list here of what's coming in April, disapointed there isn't much archive content being added there (quite a few 40s/50s shorts though), and no archive TV at all. Still waiting for Talespin and Bonkers, which are on the service in the US

https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/heres-everything-coming-to-disney-in-april-uk-ireland/
KU
Kunst
Just checked, it's still there in the UK.

A list here of what's coming in April, disapointed there isn't much archive content being added there (quite a few 40s/50s shorts though), and no archive TV at all. Still waiting for Talespin and Bonkers, which are on the service in the US

https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/heres-everything-coming-to-disney-in-april-uk-ireland/

Has it Italian dubbing?

If so, it's pretty weird
JA
james-2001
Yes it does.
JA
james-2001
Ignoring the cropping, I've noticed how poor the HD remaster of Goof Troop looks. Not in the case that it's a bad remastering like some are (I.E. Buffy), but the fact that the animation has so many flaws that show up in HD. Especially when it comes to dirt (or specks of something) all over the picture (not film dirt, but what looks like dirt on the cels or the background art, static or moving with characters or objects). And very grainy to the point I'm wondering if it was done on 16mm film rather than 35mm.

The other HD restorations of 80s/90s cartoons on Disney+ don't look as bad. Looking at Wiki, Goof Troop was a single series of 79 episodes shown 6 days a week over a 3 month period, so I wonder if production was rushed and corners were cut to make so many episodes and that's why it looks so poor. Most of this wouldn't have been a problem at the time of course as it wouldn't have shown up in SD or with 1992 telecine technology, but it's blatantly obvious in HD. One of those cases where a HD remaster might not always be a good thing.
JO
Jonwo
Ignoring the cropping, I've noticed how poor the HD remaster of Goof Troop looks. Not in the case that it's a bad remastering like some are (I.E. Buffy), but the fact that the animation has so many flaws that show up in HD. Especially when it comes to dirt (or specks of something) all over the picture (not film dirt, but what looks like dirt on the cels or the background art, static or moving with characters or objects). And very grainy to the point I'm wondering if it was done on 16mm film rather than 35mm.

The other HD restorations of 80s/90s cartoons on Disney+ don't look as bad. Looking at Wiki, Goof Troop was a single series of 79 episodes shown 6 days a week over a 3 month period, so I wonder if production was rushed and corners were cut to make so many episodes and that's why it looks so poor. Most of this wouldn't have been a problem at the time of course as it wouldn't have shown up in SD or with 1992 telecine technology, but it's blatantly obvious in HD. One of those cases where a HD remaster might not always be a good thing.

I think that's quite commons in cartoons, I don't think Disney in the 90s invested that much in their TV cartoons compared to their animated features whereas the opposite was the case for Warner Bros although I've not seen any HD versions of their classics so can't compare.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
IMDb seems to suggest the remasters for Goof Troop were done in 2017 for release on iTunes and Amazon, and the introduction clips were revised too, including some portions being totally replaced.

I dare say like most Disney Channel content it was just knocked out as quickly and cheaply as possible and probably didn't have any more of a budget than anything else. Indeed IMDb also suggests TaleSpin was a rush job to fill a schedule hole and save jobs, and as Goof Troop wasn't too far behind it, it may be the same.

8 days later

WH
what
I’ve used Disney+ for several days now, and I’m unimpressed. Signing up was a hassle - it wouldn’t let me do it on the app. Once I had everything set up, I decided to look through the content. My first observation is that the sheer amount of shows and movies not originally made by Disney shows just how much of the film and TV landscape they’ve swallowed over the last decade or so. Second is the fact that many shows have episodes or entire seasons missing. Third: 16:9 SIMPSONS!?! Grrr.

I was expecting better from Disney, especially given that we’ve had to wait nearly 6 months for it. It’s a shame, really.
HA
harshy Founding member
If it dosent have anything from the TVS archive I’m not subscribing Smile
NL
Ne1L C
Bonus points for those who get it
Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ3eAFXF-2c
UKnews, harshy and what gave kudos
UK
UKnews
what posted: