The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
The reason it's not done by phone is because it's 2020 and there's no need to. Plus audience expectations are higher than they used to be. Broadcasting a reporter on the phone with a still photo of them holding a phone is just not acceptable any more.

According to who? Feels like self fulfilling phophasy? Doesn't have to be a passport photo, can be related video images, that is often done anyway
CH
chris
The reason it's not done by phone is because it's 2020 and there's no need to. Plus audience expectations are higher than they used to be. Broadcasting a reporter on the phone with a still photo of them holding a phone is just not acceptable any more.

According to who? Feels like self fulfilling phophasy? Doesn't have to be a passport photo, can be related video images, that is often done anyway

But as a poster said earlier, that’s just radio?

There’s a difference between a reporter first on the scene of a breaking story doing a telephone interview and filling an entire programme with them.
HO
House
If you think telephone calls give broadcasters reliable, quality-audio then you’ve clearly never listened to LBC or Five Live during a phone-in.

Also worth noting Emma Barnett has been broadcasting her Five Live show from home this week, and on Wednesday the (fibre?) line to her went down and there was initially dead air (save for an interviewee muttering ‘umm, hello?’) before they threw on trails while they got her back. There isn’t a perfect remote link in 2020.
Jeffmister and Markymark gave kudos
MA
Markymark
chris posted:

There’s a difference between a reporter first on the scene of a breaking story doing a telephone interview and filling an entire programme with them.

I don't think anyone is suggesting replacing webcam based interviews with the phone, but having the phone as a rapid back up
RD
RDJ
chris posted:

I don't think anyone is suggesting replacing webcam based interviews with the phone, but having the phone as a rapid back up

Precisely.

I’m watching the ITV Lunchtime News right now. Alan Titchmarsh is back on after his interview couldn’t even start a couple of days ago after trying twice and having to eventually abandon.

Once again, today he is completely incomprehensible and the sound keeps cutting out. They’re having to persevere but you cannot understand a word.

So after they were caught out last time, why on earth did they not have him on the phone on standby at least as a backup? They should be quality controlling the interviewee before putting them to broadcast to prevent any such difficulties once they go to air.
Last edited by RDJ on 3 April 2020 2:03pm
BR
Brekkie
Give the guys a break. Things fail at the best of times so it'll happen now as well.
NL
Ne1L C
Give the guys a break. Things fail at the best of times so it'll happen now as well.

Right now slip-ups are understandable and instantly forgiven. The TV companies in the country from news to entertainment and all points inbetween are making a truly herculean effort to keep up with rapidly developing events and yes there have been blunders and there will be more. We should be thankful that we have such a media setup in this country.
:-(
A former member
In the most trivial of observations, last night I observed somebody’s name captioned on the news channel with the BBC News logo above rather than below.

More thrilling updates as I get them.
AndrewPSSP, trance and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
CH
chris

You did. Three posts up.

RN
Rolling News
This is a first - the early evening news starting almost 2 minutes early.
CH
Chuda
News at 6 headlines for south east today were branded London and south east but main program is just south east today.
PE
Pete Founding member
In the most trivial of observations, last night I observed somebody’s name captioned on the news channel with the BBC News logo above rather than below.

More thrilling updates as I get them.

I thought it was if it was the reporter / presenter they got BBC above (bc they *are* BBC) whereas if its someone else they get BBC below.

Newer posts