DA
davidhorman Channel Channel Islands
Still not the oddest use of the EastEnders tune:

Though no doubt Dot would approve.
Last edited by davidhorman on 3 April 2020 9:33pm
sda|, paul_hadley and Si-Co gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
A single was released to go with the jazzy theme tune. Don't think it did that well though, especially when compared to Anyone Can Fall in Love by Anita Dobson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxpx3sxwVw

A.

MAZE.

ING.

Very Happy
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
Simon May had a thing for doing that.

I think this completes the set:

(Howard's Way still has one of the best theme tunes of all time)

Last edited by Whataday on 7 April 2020 4:34am
TI
tightrope78 UTV Newsline
Here’s ‘More to Life’, the theme from Trainer (sung by Cliff Richard), also by Simon May.

AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I rather like the “jazzy” Eastenders theme. It’s very of it’s time, but I love the build-up at the very start of the titles.

In all honesty the current theme is horrendous. I kind-of wish they’d do something brave like Emmerdale have done several times and reinvent it.

But hey I don’t watch it.
BE
benriggers Meridian (South) Oxford
Watching the first episode this afternoon and there appears to be no music whatsoever in the Vic or at Dot's party (which makes the people dancing at the party incredibly weird - mime dancing). Is this an early edit of the episode (minus the music)?
"They don't want your name, just your number"
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Possibly, similar's the case for the DVD version of the Only Fools and Horses episode "Sickness and Wealth" (which also has nearly 10 minutes extra footage from the broadcast version) where the Nag's head scenes are eerily quiet.
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
Probably a rights issue.
CO
Colm (previously Col) Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
I remember the track used in the Dot party scene - "Uh Huh Oh Yeh" by Paul Weller - I'm sure it was kept in on the UK Gold repeat run.
RD
rdobbie
It wasn't just the music that was missing from that episode – the usual "hustle and bustle" background noise of market activity was missing from the outdoor scenes in Bridge Street and Turpin Road.

So strange to see all the characters dancing to silence at Nigel's party!
SC
Si-Co Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Probably a rights issue.

Generally in this case they would edit out the entire scene. I’m surprised they had access to raw footage without the music/sound effects added. I’m sure there must be a way of removing them later - this episode of Corrie someone has shared online has the U2 track removed from the montage [skip to 19:55] - although you can very faintly hear it in places. Something to do with splitting audio channels/sources?

CEEFAX SUBTITLES BEGIN SHORTLY
IS
Inspector Sands
Si-Co posted:
Probably a rights issue.

Generally in this case they would edit out the entire scene. I’m surprised they had access to raw footage without the music/sound effects added. I’m sure there must be a way of removing them later - this episode of Corrie someone has shared online has the U2 track removed from the montage [skip to 19:55] - although you can very faintly hear it in places. Something to do with splitting audio channels/sources?

In the case of that YouTube clip I would have thought the track was either removed by the uploader or more likely by the feature in YouTube that removes copyrighted music? If it was a clean version made by ITV it would be a lot better than that (and I don't see why it would have made it out into the wild)

In answer to your first bit, there's not a way you can remove background music later. If there's potential rights issues or you might want to remix something later then the only way to do it is to make a version in the edit suite that's either clean of music or has the music seperate. Remember that the background music in a scene will be added in post production, it's not playing in the studio. So that's either a seperate copy of the programme or I have seen scenes with different or split audio mixes on master tapes after the programme.

Depending on what sort of tape used it would be possible to just have multiple tracks on the master tape - so for example 1 and 2 are the mix, 3 and 4 are the studio recording audio and 5 and 6 are the background music. Then if the music needs replacing then everything's there for someone to reassemble if need be
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 8 April 2020 9:38am - 2 times in total

Newer posts