TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
I'm not sure 'making fun of Hitler' is comparable. Who is the Hitler equivalent in this story?

The general point is that they were making jokes about World War II which was clearly a very unpleasant and frightening scenario, and no doubt many children's parents died or were badly injured, and families were separated for a long time. But it was still considered important to find humour in the situation.
So important in fact that Desperate Dan artist Dudley Watkins was exempted from the draft. It was so important for morale that they declared him to be in a reserved occupation. Not unlike the key workers we're hearing about now.
Steve Williams and mannewskev gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Hopefully the split screen there isn't quite what makes it to air.

I'm waiting for everyone throwing up a green sheet behind them then some CSO whizzkid making it look like they're all in the same studio.
VM
VMPhil
When ex-MI5 agent David Shayler appeared as a HIGNFY panellist via satellite in 2000, Paul Merton hated it because of how it threw all sense of comedy timing out the window. So it will be interesting to see how he copes with it.

Larry the Loafer, paul_hadley and UKnews gave kudos
JO
Jon
When ex-MI5 agent David Shayler appeared as a HIGNFY panellist via satellite in 2000, Paul Merton hated it because of how it threw all sense of comedy timing out the window. So it will be interesting to see how he copes with it.

Why the need for him to do the show from Blackpool?
Last edited by Jon on 2 April 2020 8:09pm
AndrewPSSP, Whataday and VMPhil gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Funny the things you only notice after making clips of longer videos - the picture quality on his satellite feed is noticeably sharper at the end of the clip than at the start.
BR
Brekkie
Not something we see here really but just wondering if the entertainment shows in the US like Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood are still airing considering like sport the entertainment industry has now virtually shut.

Also guessing the likes of Hallmark and Lifetime won't be having dozens of new Christmas movies this year. However rumours are they've been preparing for this sort of outage for years by ensuring all their movies have exactly the same plot, so nobody will notice.
JE
Jeffmister
Know Entertainment Tonight is still airing - they just have the presenters/correspondents doing links from their homes & relying more on archive content + lookbacks
:-(
A former member
Surprised no mention of Have I Got News For You... very strange show tonight. Reminded me a little of the first series of Scratchy & Co.

Wasn’t as bad as I’d feared.
VM
VMPhil
Surprised no mention of Have I Got News For You... very strange show tonight. Reminded me a little of the first series of Scratchy & Co.

Despite my protestations it was mostly alright, with the exception of that awful silence after someone makes a joke and nobody laughs.
MI
m_in_m

It was OK. Certainly I've enjoyed other episodes that Steph has presented before. Would be interesting to see Victoria Coren-Mitchell. She's always strong in the presenter chair.
MI
m_in_m

Despite my protestations it was mostly alright, with the exception of that awful silence after someone makes a joke and nobody laughs.

It needs a virtual audience and the ability to record their laughter and include.
WH
Whataday Founding member
It was very strange and I enjoyed it but I think the lack of audience hampered it more than the fact it was done over Skype.

Newer posts