TV Home Forum

BBC 1 | Daily Kitchen

(April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
She might well have been offered or thought about for her own show but her TV experience has been limited. Her recent appearances on This Morning went down very well, but she was very nervous and unpolished - by her own admission.

She is the perfect choice for these times, her cookery is based on really tight economy and cooking with limited ingredients. Perfect for those times when you have 4 cans of chickpeas and some leftover bacon in the cupboard and don't know what to do with them.

She's been doing a Twitter feature called lockdown larder helping people cook meals with odd ingredients they have at home. A sort of real life Ready Steady Cook
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 3 April 2020 11:59am - 2 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands

And this show will be going head to head with This Morning, which has proved itself to be public service broadcasting personified over the last few weeks.

Jack has appeared in the cookery slot on This Morning a few times in the last couple of months, her first TV I think. They've missed out somewhat, it might even be those appearances that put her in the running for the new show.

She's better suited to the BBC, her recipes aren't going to bring in the high budget food advertising that other celebrity chefs do. Why would M&S advertise during her show when she's using a can of 20p tinned tomatoes?
JO
Joe
Yeah, none of those are suited in the same way.

Suited to what exactly?

It is widely acknowledged that this crisis is a chance for the BBC to step up to the plate and prove its worth to the nation as a PSB. A huge "get the nation cooking on a budget" campaign would be a brilliant opportunity to do this, but it would need someone with a wider appeal.

And this show will be going head to head with This Morning, which has proved itself to be public service broadcasting personified over the last few weeks.

Like I said, I'm amazed the BBC haven't signed Jack up before, but for this slot? It's a misfire.

Imagine the reviews you’ll be giving when you have seen an episode.
Critique and bilky asko gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
Joe posted:
Imagine the reviews you’ll be giving when you have seen an episode.

As I initially said:

I have a feeling this will be handing viewers to This Morning on a plate. But we'll see what they do with it.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Name one (living) chef, just one, who has done more for people who need to cook on a budget, or to cook from their store cupboard?

Jack Monroe is not a chef. Not that it has to be a chef. Gregg Wallace and Chris Bavin do a far better job on Eat Well For Less, because they look at what specific households eat and come up with more economical equivalents.

Like I said, most of Jack's recipes are to me a very middle class idea of solutions for living on a budget - which is not surprising as she herself had a middle class upbringing.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I’m not entirely sure why this is being reported like it’s brilliant PSB in these unusual times. Doesn’t This Morning do cooking at pretty much the same exact time?
Brekkie and Whataday gave kudos
BA
bilky asko
Name one (living) chef, just one, who has done more for people who need to cook on a budget, or to cook from their store cupboard?

Jack Monroe is not a chef. Not that it has to be a chef. Gregg Wallace and Chris Bavin do a far better job on Eat Well For Less, because they look at what specific households eat and come up with more economical equivalents.

Like I said, most of Jack's recipes are to me a very middle class idea of solutions for living on a budget - which is not surprising as she herself had a middle class upbringing.

You could have shortened that answer down to "I can't" and it would have been far better and more accurate.

If you're going to start posting rubbish about a middle class upbringing (which isn't true) I think it's best that I stop here and try not to encourage any further response from you, which has already caused some upset outside the forum.
Inspector Sands and Custard56 gave kudos
JC
JCB

Suited to what exactly?

It is widely acknowledged that this crisis is a chance for the BBC to step up to the plate and prove its worth to the nation as a PSB. A huge "get the nation cooking on a budget" campaign would be a brilliant opportunity to do this, but it would need someone with a wider appeal.

And this show will be going head to head with This Morning, which has proved itself to be public service broadcasting personified over the last few weeks..

'This Morning' which is definitely working class to the bone and isn't produced through a middle class filter. Rolling Eyes
JO
Jon
JCB posted:

Suited to what exactly?

And this show will be going head to head with This Morning, which has proved itself to be public service broadcasting personified over the last few weeks..

'This Morning' which is definitely working class to the bone and isn't produced through a middle class filter. Rolling Eyes

Well it’s true to say nearly all national broadcast media is produced by the middle classes that doesn’t mean these middle class producers don’t understand what the working classes want.

Ultimately it will be the public that decide whether they take to Jack, no one knows until it is given a go.
Whataday and bilky asko gave kudos
PR
Primaryteacher8
JCB posted:

Suited to what exactly?

I personally feel that 'This Morning' is aimed at middle class families!!!!
JO
Jon
JCB posted:

Suited to what exactly?

Why?
PR
Primaryteacher8
Jon posted:
JCB posted:

Why?

Just my opinion. I will provide reasons later when I have more time to.

Newer posts