TV Home Forum

UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards

Split from UTV rebrand (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
No, UTV now broadcasts the ITV DOG and the 'Britain Get Talking' DOG also beside it, which in itself is potentially problematic, but we'll not get into that!

I haven't heard of much controversy from NI surrounding ITV Breakfast's flagship programme?

Or the original Good Morning Britain which aired for a decade during The Troubles.

'Britain' is used as short hand for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
CO
Colm
Or if only there were freelance Northern Irish broadcasters with time on their hands, who, irrespective of location, have the facilities at home to record bespoke links... and would be happy to help out.

(I would cough, but, too soon, y'know...)
GH
G Honeybun
dbl posted:
The newest guy (ITV announcer) still hasn't quite hacked it, his delivery is like he's rushing to get to the end of his link rather than using intonation to make it sound interesting.

He's awful. On the next day promo just before the 6pm news, he recently pronounced Richard Madeley's surname as 'Madder-lee'!
WH
Whataday Founding member
Anyone that doesn't know who Richard Madeley is shouldn't be allowed anywhere near broadcasting.
TVMan, G Honeybun and DavidWhitfield gave kudos
TV
TV Times
With all the amazing voice talent out there I can't quite see what ITV bosses were looking for. A recent BBC Announcer vacancy job description asked for the following:

1. To perform both live and recorded material in an appropriate style with clarity, authority and versatility, using the correct pronunciation and acceptable grammar.

2. Have the ability to write and deliver scripts on air in the appropriate voice with flair, wit and style (job specific) Show meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.

Sadly this guy fails to show clarity, authority and versatility - basically he rushes each script, he introduces every show in the same way whether it be a Saturday Night Takeaway or a serious ITV News Special - no gravitas, he simply can't reflect the appropriate tone and style of the varied programming ITV delivers. Maybe his voice is best suited to ITVBe?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Well to be fair recent appointments at the BBC sometimes seem to be hardly much better.

Yes he does link into a serious edition of Tonight as if he’s describing the plot of a new hit drama, and never fills the whole length of the time he’s been given, so you get about 5 secs of clean ident afterwards
PF
PFML84
The +1 DOG has not been changed for the replacement ITV DOG on UTV and is overlapping with the Britain Get Talking DOG. I wonder if they’ll leave it for the few months they intend to have UTV on hiatus.
CO
Colm
Come to think of it, when was the last time Jules or Gilly stood in as weather presenters?

From what I can see, UTV is still getting newsroom staff to voice forecasts at weekends/when Frankie's "double jobbing" - and not sure if they still get Ais Creevey to send the odd one over from Norwich.

Conspiracy theories coming in 3... 2...
BA
Ballyboy
Julian did one in summer 18. he’s done it a few times over the years. Gillian did voiceovers
GR
Granadatvman
The ITV announcer that has just done the 5pm junction, I thought he was talking rather fast...could just about keep up with what was being said.
However my ears did hear him say its 'Secrets of the driving test' at 8:30 tonight.....oh wait...not what the UTV epg is stating. It's on at 11pm here!

The 8:30pm junction will be the first test for ITV this evening to handle a UTV optout....

There was Chiswick-based continuity at 6pm over an ITV ident. The vo name checked Paul Clark and mentioned “UTV Live” but not UTV or ITV.

Could they not put a UTV ident out if the announcement was UTV specific. Does it really require a seperate person to put out an ident verses an announcement or program ?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I thought the ident into the regional news programmes was played out from the regional studios? Or did that change when ITV started having new idents every week?
GR
Granadatvman
I thought the ident into the regional news programmes was played out from the regional studios? Or did that change when ITV started having new idents every week?

I had assumed this was still the case. I remember a year or two back on itv Granada seeing a generic ident one sunday followed by one with a announcement for Granada Reports.

One thing that I find strange is the mix of announcements across the different regions - Channel TV's is particularly annoying.

UTV could be a different though with them having almost 24/7 continuity automatically played out?

I reckon thinking about it that perhaps it is easy to add audio on the UTV feed without the full automation system? Perhaps it's not as easy to add different idents to multiple feeds as it was in the past as they don't pay for the full bells and whistles for all the regions and it requires additional operatives? Adverts will presumibly be loaded in very far in advance and would be dealt with by seperate technical staff?
Last edited by Granadatvman on 6 April 2020 1:31am

Newer posts