TV Home Forum

UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards

Split from UTV rebrand (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I’m sure the majority of viewers in Northern Ireland are happy at presentation finally sounding vaguely professional.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It’s funny you can axe regional news at Breakfast, get rid of double heading, remove sub regions, reduce local radio, remove various distinct national radio news bulletins, simulcast the news channel and world more and more and it’s all ok, but dare remove Julian and UTV and all hell breaks loose!
BR
Brekkie
Talking of regional news at Breakfast has it continued on GMB this week?
TV
TV Times
I’m sure the majority of viewers in Northern Ireland are happy at presentation finally sounding vaguely professional.

Maybe, but tonight’s announcer on ITV is awful - his laid back, rushed style is poor especially when introducing quite serious programmes or elements - no gravitas, no thought about delivery - just very poor.

I have no problem with regional accents appearing on air like the BBC has, in fact Geordie Andrew Hayden-Smith is very good but accent aside you need to show certain skills and delivery of script reflecting the mood of the nation etc is an aspect some of the new voices IMHO simply can’t do.
TI
This Is Granada

Maybe, but tonight’s announcer on ITV is awful - his laid back, rushed style is poor especially when introducing quite serious programmes or elements - no gravitas, no thought about delivery - just very poor.

Agree completely. The rushed speaking and poor delivery of this particular ITV announcer makes him quite hard to understand. I picked him up on his rushed 5pm announcement, at the news at 6pm I'm almost certain he pronounced Northern Ireland as "Norvern Ireland". I've definitely heard him stumbled quite a few times today too...Yes I'm quick to pick faults with Julian and Gillian getting things wrong on their pre-recorded links, but compare the network announcers to Julian/Gillian I know exactly who I want to hear....and for the next few months I'm gonna be disappointed.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Agree completely. The rushed speaking and poor delivery of this particular ITV announcer makes him quite hard to understand. I picked him up on his rushed 5pm announcement, at the news at 6pm I'm almost certain he pronounced Northern Ireland as "Norvern Ireland". I've definitely heard him stumbled quite a few times today too...Yes I'm quick to pick faults with Julian and Gillian getting things wrong on their pre-recorded links, but compare the network announcers to Julian/Gillian I know exactly who I want to hear....and for the next few months I'm gonna be disappointed.

They aren’t all like that particular announcer
TV
TV Times

They aren’t all like that particular announcer

He is the worst of the current ITV team - Andrew Hayden-Smith and Andrea Fox are very good. I wonder if we'll hear the dulcet tones of Dave Johnson the Irish announcer a little more - to be honest I haven't heard him on air for ages though.
NW
nwtv2003
Talking of regional news at Breakfast has it continued on GMB this week?

As normal. The only change for Granada is that the bulletins are coming from the desk rather than the presenter stood by the screen.
DB
dbl
The newest guy (ITV announcer) still hasn't quite hacked it, his delivery is like he's rushing to get to the end of his link rather than using intonation to make it sound interesting.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Si-Co posted:
Could this be influenced by staffing issues at ITV as much as the logistics of recording VOs in Belfast? It would be easy enough (I assume) for the ITV announcers to pre-record UTV links and promos, but by making one instead of two versions of every promo etc will surely save a lot of man-hours that ITV may not have at the moment.

I very much suspect this is the case, plus the added complexity of playing out to variants.

I don't suppose there's any chance of some of the off peak network ITV junctions which I think use pre recorded continuity being done by the UTV announcers (from home)?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
No, UTV now broadcasts the ITV DOG and the 'Britain Get Talking' DOG also beside it, which in itself is potentially problematic, but we'll not get into that!

I haven't heard of much controversy from NI surrounding ITV Breakfast's flagship programme?
IS
Inspector Sands

I haven't heard of much controversy from NI surrounding ITV Breakfast's flagship programme?

Or the Channel Islands for that matter, although there was a bit of fuss when the beeb started saying 'and now the news from across the UK' hence it was changed

Newer posts