TV Home Forum

Coronavirus | Schedule Changes

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Hurrah! Hurrah! Someone listened to Mark Austin after all!

I imagine with all the cancelled and postponed events there is/was a lot of huge gaps in the BBC's summer schedule. The gaps were too big to be filled with just repeats of Bargain Hunt and Home Under the Hammer. I wonder if a few TV series that rated unexpectedly low might get a repeat in some of those slots.

For reference the BBC press release can be read at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/coronavirus-sport
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Looking at the BBC media centre a bit more it's interesting to note a few other Covid-19 changes that have occurred.

BBC Asian Network : "all weekend daytime shows being extended to four hours and all programmes after 7pm being pre-recorded" as well as some other changes to weekdays. Worth noting this schedule "will remain under review for the foreseeable future", which potentially means could it could permanent if the BBC wished/needed to quietly implement a cost saving.
Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/asian-network-coronavirus

BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 6 Music : Various changes to their evening and weekend schedules, mainly to simplify them. Once again they "will remain under review for the foreseeable future".
Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/coronavirus-radio2-6music

BBC Radio 1Xtra : Various changes to simplify the schedule, once again remaining under review for the foreseeable future.
Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/1xtra-coronavirus

BBC Radio 1 : Changes to it's afternoon schedules for the foreseeable future.
Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/radio1-coronavirus

Also in TV news...
Quote:
BBC One daytime announces Daily Kitchen Live, to help viewers through lockdown
BBC One daytime is launching Daily Kitchen Live from Cactus TV, the makers of Saturday Kitchen, to screen each weekday on BBC One this month for two weeks.

Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/daily-kitchen-live
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
JO
Jonwo

I imagine with all the cancelled and postponed events there is/was a lot of huge gaps in the BBC's summer schedule. The gaps were too big to be filled with just repeats of Bargain Hunt and Home Under the Hammer. I wonder if a few TV series that rated unexpectedly low might get a repeat in some of those slots.

For reference the BBC press release can be read at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/coronavirus-sport

I think newer content like Ghosts and The Goes Wrong Show will be repeated over the summer.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London

BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 6 Music : Various changes to their evening and weekend schedules, mainly to simplify them. Once again they "will remain under review for the foreseeable future".
Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/coronavirus-radio2-6music

I think the extended Hawkins is made up for by the daily Craig Charles.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member London London

I'd like it if they could give Count Arthur Strong a repeat run - all three series suffered from poor scheduling and consequently poor ratings first time around, and has never been repeated. Good pre-watershed sitcoms have been so thin on the ground in recent times, so I wish they would give this one another go.
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
This would be the best opportunity to give the new series of Crackerjack that BBC One airing it deserves.
SW
Steve Williams
I'd like it if they could give Count Arthur Strong a repeat run - all three series suffered from poor scheduling and consequently poor ratings first time around, and has never been repeated. Good pre-watershed sitcoms have been so thin on the ground in recent times, so I wish they would give this one another go.

I don't think the scheduling was so bad - the first series was on Mondays at 8.30 on BBC2 in the slot just vacated by Miranda, which had done very well there. It rather suffered from the announcement of Prince George's birth opposite one of them, which rather stunted its momentum. The second was in the post-news slot on BBC1, where it did pretty well and the third was on at 9pm.

You could argue that it was poor scheduling, but equally you could argue that they tried it in a number of slots - pre-watershed BBC2, post-watershed BBC1, primetime BBC1 - which gave it numerous possibilities to find a suitable audience, and it didn't really manage to do that in any of them. They certainly gave it a bloody good go, though, any sitcom that can get three series out is doing alright for itself, I think.

It reminds me a bit of what Jed Mercurio said about his Sky One series Critical, which got decent reviews but bad ratings and was axed. He said that he couldn't fault Sky One in terms of the support they gave it, and the promotion it got, they did everything he asked for and he was very pleased with it, so he conceded that with all that, it just didn't catch on with the audience and they didn't want to watch it in large numbers, and he couldn't argue with that. There have certainly been cases of shows that could have been scheduled more sympathetically, but at some point you do just have to concede the viewers just don't fancy it.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member London London

I don't think the scheduling was so bad - the first series was on Mondays at 8.30 on BBC2 in the slot just vacated by Miranda, which had done very well there. It rather suffered from the announcement of Prince George's birth opposite one of them, which rather stunted its momentum. The second was in the post-news slot on BBC1, where it did pretty well and the third was on at 9pm.

You could argue that it was poor scheduling, but equally you could argue that they tried it in a number of slots - pre-watershed BBC2, post-watershed BBC1, primetime BBC1 - which gave it numerous possibilities to find a suitable audience, and it didn't really manage to do that in any of them. They certainly gave it a bloody good go, though, any sitcom that can get three series out is doing alright for itself, I think.

The first series started out at 8.30 on BBC2 which is kind of okay but it got shunted to 7pm on another day halfway through the series. The second series started out at 10.35 on BBC1, which is not great, and then after three episodes the Ten O'Clock News was extended, and so it ended up at 10.45 which is a ridiculously late slot for a pre-watershed family sitcom. The third at last had a good slot at 8.30 on Fridays - but was in the summer, and after the first two episodes it got taken off for two weeks for Election Question Time, and then one further episode got shunted back to BBC2 due to Wimbledon. Unlucky, maybe, but I'd say that's not great scheduling overall.
CU
Cusack Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

The first series started out at 8.30 on BBC2 which is kind of okay but it got shunted to 7pm on another day halfway through the series. The second series started out at 10.35 on BBC1, which is not great, and then after three episodes the Ten O'Clock News was extended, and so it ended up at 10.45 which is a ridiculously late slot for a pre-watershed family sitcom. The third at last had a good slot at 8.30 on Fridays - but was in the summer, and after the first two episodes it got taken off for two weeks for Election Question Time, and then one further episode got shunted back to BBC2 due to Wimbledon. Unlucky, maybe, but I'd say that's not great scheduling overall.

You could argue that it also suffered in the ratings because it wasn't very good.
Rich Tea, Brekkie and Joe gave kudos
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
ITV will 'pause for applause' tonight

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-will-pause-applause-thursday-night
BR
Brekkie Recently warned Wales Wales Today
A much better phrase than "Clap for Carers"
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
MI
Michael

Newer posts