TV Home Forum

UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards

Split from UTV rebrand (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MM
MMcG198
Asa posted:
Simplifying the network temporarily seems like a sensible idea to me. It's not like we're saying BBC Two Wales/NI won't be back just because they're now showing Network.

I'm sure UTV will return but I'd be very surprised if they weren't keeping an small eye on how this cheeky change goes down.

Still seems to be UTV continuity tonight between Peston and the programme on football fans, including Gillian’s voiceovers. Maybe this will change tomorrow.

If the decision to drop UTV-branded trails/idents and local continuity announcements was made today, it'll be tomorrow before the changes are apparent on air.
AN
Andrew Founding member
dbl posted:
Doesn't make much sense really, if they wanted to retain the perception of localness then the voiceovers could be done from home.

Indeed, I believe ITV Wales used that set up between 2002-2006

I imagine they had a professional set up created and training involved in doing their own editing.

Julian doesn’t strike me as someone who would have the technical knowledge to do all that himself, and UTV staff wouldn’t be able to enter his home.

The network announcer could in theory voice over UTV idents live at the same time as ITV, but the issue there is of course they use different idents, so there would be dead air everywhere.

There are many changes both on ITV and the BBC that could be made permanent, so I don’t know why people are jumping on this one.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
5'30 into this shows Julian doing some fairly technical stuff in an analogue world

I'm sure recording audio into a phone, top and tailing it and emailing it to Chiswick wouldn't be beyond him.
IS
Inspector Sands

My eyes rolled so hard reading this I almost detached my retinas.

Talking about wanting to retain a perception of localness as if it's even going to be a discussion in these circumstances.

They're not going to be kitting Julian and Gillian's homes out with voiceover equipment and giving any additional training required at this time. The idea this would be considered anywhere near essential is absolutely ridiculous.

It's as essential now as it ever was.... which is not at all and ever has been

My point was that it makes no real difference to the Covid-19 issues except having a couple of people turn up to record a few links a week. And it doesn't take much equipment or training to do from home, hundreds of radio presenters and journalists have done just that at short notice over the last few weeks

It's another one of those changes that they've been wanting to do for ages and is politically a bit awkward and now they have the excuse to. See also: pan regional news, shared bulletins on BBC radio etc
PF
PFML84
ITV now have the perfect opportunity to essentially get rid of the 'UTV brand' if they wanted to. After a few months of complete ITV branding and continuity on screen but UTV branded and locally presented bulletins, they can just keep it like that and not return it to how it was. I doubt the average viewer will notice or even care, as long as the news and their soaps are still in the same place at the same time, it's all cosmetic. The name can even stay as UTV on EPG's so as not to upset anyone. It just means ITV don't have to worry about separate idents, continuity etc. for one region whilst the others all get the same. I personally don't see them bringing back UTV as was after a few months of ITV branding having been on air and most likely not caused any fuss whatsoever.

Only those that seen that news bulletin would have been aware there were changes coming, everyone else was just subjected to it without warning and I doubt there were mass calls to ITV or OFCOM about it. People will move on with their lives, especially as there is more important things going on right now than 'U' or 'I'.
JA
JAS84
Of course UTV News will still have the UTV brand for a while, just like HTV did. Like HTV, it would be removed on the next rebrand.
RD
RDJ
There was a name check for viewers in Northern Ireland before the Lunchtime News acknowledging that things will be looking a little different for them.
:-(
A former member
This was just suggested as suitable for a generic ident after it aired. Perhaps slip a couple of UTV ones into the mix, and there you have it - an ident for both brands. (It would never happen!)

http://tig.gy/?IZGB6
WH
Whataday Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Of course UTV News will still have the UTV brand for a while, just like HTV did. Like HTV, it would be removed on the next rebrand.

So we're once again basing things on a decision Carlton made 18 years ago. Rolling Eyes
dbl, chinamug and Brekkie gave kudos
JO
Jon
JAS84 posted:

So we're once again basing things on a decision Carlton made 18 years ago. Rolling Eyes

Well I’d take that level of thinking from JAS84 with a pinch of salt. But I doubt if the UTV name aside from News branding has to be off air for say two months ITV will be any rush to bring it back. The precedent for national brands replacing local ones isn’t just from when ITV regions were replaced by the ITV 1 brand it has happened to a much greater extent since in the wider media world. And even away from media many national brands in things like cosmetics and confectionary have been replaced by global brands.

If viewer reaction isn’t massive to these temporary changes it will make no sense for ITV to go on having to create separate continuity and branding for one region on a continuing basis and as the brand on screen will have already diminished it’s the perfect opportunity to let the brand fade out.

That said I wonder if they’re keeping the UTV brand at the moment so they can point to it in the future, if there is ever an STV takeover on the cards, to reduce political opposition by saying they’ll keep the brand as they have done in Northern Ireland.
Last edited by Jon on 2 April 2020 2:00pm - 6 times in total
DB
dbl
Andrew (C/A) referenced Northern Ireland viewers and things looking 'a bit different' in the link before Judge Rinder.

https://tvhome.co.uk/itv/2020/04/02/1400
Last edited by dbl on 2 April 2020 3:14pm
TI
This Is Granada
dbl posted:
Andrew (C/A) referenced Northern Ireland viewers and things looking 'a bit different' in the link before Judge Rinder.

Watching on UTV HD and the ITV announcement was played out over the top of the same announcement with about a 2 second delay.

Sounded a total mess.

Bring back Julian and the flying pigeons.

Newer posts