TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BL
bluecortina
Does anyone know if live subtitlers are having to work from home, or is that not possible?

That's been normal for a lot of subtitlers for a while. Also Red Bee sometimes live subtitle from Australia believe it or not...

GMTV started off doing in-house live subtitling but it moved to Australia in the mid/late 90’s.
NG
noggin Founding member
I don't know how long its been going on for. I've only noticed it over the last couple of days.

It's been going on for quite a while now. They do it in the junction after the regional news going into The One Show quite regularly.
TV
TV Times
I even heard an ITV announcer name checking themselves the other morning.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 3:50pm
JE
Jez Founding member
Probably noted already but BBC 1 CA's have started naming themselves which i think is a nice personal touch .

Call me old fashioned but I really miss the old style in-vision continuity announcers that the ITV regions used to have, in my case Anglia. To this day they all remain such memorable faces. I'm all in favour of a return to a more personal touch.

I agree I loved the in vision announcements on HTV Wales which were got rid of from January 1993 at the same time as HTV relaunched with a new logo etc for the new franchise period. Even though we managed to hold onto local announcers in Wales until IIRC 2006 it was never quite the same.
WH
Whataday Founding member
BBC continuity announcers have been name-checking themselves at the start of their shift since February 2019.
ST
Stuart
Unsurprisingly, Wimbledon 2020 has been cancelled, as just reported by BBC News.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Of all sporting events, I think Wimbledon is one where they could replay classic matches and attract solid numbers.
AndrewPSSP, Stuart and Markymark gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I think the BBC should probably just start playing out long form archive content on Saturday afternoons - Grandstand Gold so to speak.

Back to recorded shows and I'm guessing Countdown can't have long left. This week they've begun airing episodes featuring a post-pregnant Rachel which were filmed at the beginning of March. On the 19th it was announced they'd continue without an audience but with Nick being in his mid-70s I'd have thought they'd have had to stop not long after that.
IS
Inspector Sands
Of all sporting events, I think Wimbledon is one where they could replay classic matches and attract solid numbers.

Until they put a roof on they used to do that for a lot of Wimbledon fortnight anyway!
Brekkie and Markymark gave kudos
:-(
A former member
I think the BBC should probably just start playing out long form archive content on Saturday afternoons - Grandstand Gold so to speak.

I think they should be doing that every day, not just Saturdays.
JO
Jonwo

I think they should be doing that every day, not just Saturdays.

It's likely too expensive to do that every day and if their current daytime slate is performing better and cost less than showing ancient content, the BBC will pick the latter option.

Newer posts