TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain in 2020

Split from Good Morning Britain (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Can you imagine Piers reading the weather, and treating it properly?

A detailed weather forecast does seem a bit surplus to requirements at the moment, but Carol Kirkwood is still doing one on Breakfast, and there are weather forecasts at other times of day including regionally (Breakfast and the BBC News Channel are still doing sport which is even more surplus)

Laura is located miles away from the main desk, and I’m sure she has her own weather desk in the office, so there won’t be much risk.
WH
Whataday Founding member
She still has to travel into work.

I can't imagine Piers doing much properly, but Susanna could. Or is it out of the question for the network ITV Weather presenter or one of the local ones to record it so it can be played in?
DW
DavidWhitfield
Or maybe Piers could break the habit of a lifetime and do the bare minimum as a presenter and do what he's told to do instead of doing what suits him and read the weather himself if he's asked to.
LV
LondonViewer
I certainly don't think an OB is essential although I am hoping there's a logical explanation as to why they were coming live from Henley Upon Thames this morning.

They addressed that this morning; less people coming into the studios & that it was closer to her home.
DK
DanielK
Did Lorraine air from the GMB Desk today, and were there any changes to presentation, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apVkv7Y8zrA

Noticed over the past wee while that Lorraine has difficulty hitting the mark for the closing of her show, and has the same here on GMB.

Rarely seen it with substitute presenters on Lorraine however. Spotted this on and off over the past few years.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

It's very unlikely they'd have Piers or Susanna presenting the weather, it requires a different skillset.

If Paxman can present the weather so can Piers.

Is something you'd think ideal to be fronted from home considering weather in breakfast shows is often an OB - but depends on Laura's home circumstances somewhat. Not sure on the relationship betweem GMB Weather and the main ITV team but if they didn't want her in the studio doing it from Grays Inn Road might be an option (if ITV Weather are still based there) - and indeed a general OB may be better social distancing than in the studio anyway.

It's also not just about the weather. It's about a lighter break from the news for a few minutes.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Just to pick-up on one point regarding the relevance of a detailed weather forecast at the moment.

Don’t forget, whilst the vast majority of us are currently at home and feel that a weather forecast is presently superfluous, there are still essential service workers and farmers who still need to know what the weather is going to be like, and who rely heavily on such information even if we at home don’t really need it.

Having said that, whether it’s read-out by Laura Tobin or Susanna Reid is neither here nor there, I suppose. As long as it’s clear, precise and accurate (and not mocked).
RD
RDJ
So Piers and Susanna have appeared from 6am. No ramblings from Piers, they went straight into the news.

Perhaps the strangest thing is that overnight they’ve changed the desk to be smaller. The ends have been removed and they’re both sat at either end of the desk. There’s no room for Dr Hilary so I’m not sure where he’s going to be placed.

EDIT: Dr H is now sat at the weather desk. Laura is doing the weather from home.
Last edited by RDJ on 1 April 2020 7:06am
FA
fanoftv
I wonder what has caused the changes. Could it be social distancing with the crew?
IS
Inspector Sands

Don’t forget, whilst the vast majority of us are currently at home and feel that a weather forecast is presently superfluous, there are still essential service workers and farmers who still need to know what the weather is going to be like, and who rely heavily on such information even if we at home don’t really need it.

Those of us at home still need the weather, a lot of us have gardens and we're all allowed out for exercise

Probably not the best argument, he did it under so much duress that they pulled the item completely
BA
bilky asko

Those of us at home still need the weather, a lot of us have gardens and we're all allowed out for exercise

Probably not the best argument, he did it under so much duress that they pulled the item completely

Indeed, the weather might be useful to know if it becomes icy, or there's snow, or widespread flooding.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Having said that, whether it’s read-out by Laura Tobin or Susanna Reid is neither here nor there, I suppose. As long as it’s clear, precise and accurate (and not mocked).

I disagree. The difference between Laura presenting a forecast that she has prepared and Susanna reading a forecast that Laura has prepared is that Laura will be ad-libbing.

That's one of the great benefits of a live weather presenter in this kind of programme, weather presenters are amazingly good at fitting their forecast to a particular duration with next to no notice of how long that is. They know where to elaborate to pad it out, they know where the superfluous detail they can drop is.

On a live show, having an item of elastic duration is a very useful way to get back on track if earlier items under or over run.
Charlesy and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts