The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WA
watchingtv
Always wondered why not do 5 news as 1 hour move the neighbours repeat to 630 and first look home and away to 7pm and allow it to clash with Emmerdale and not Hollyoaks whom which it shares a similar audience but what do I know

Because they use the 6:30 show to repeat a few (maybe all? I haven't watched it in a long time) of their 5pm reports. They can get away with it because they're two separate shows but having an hour long show would mean they'd have to spend more money on more reports as they can't really repeat reports in the same show. Plus I don't know if the audience they're going for would be willing to watch an hour long news show.

I think Channel 5 were reluctant to move Neighbours from its familiar 5.30 slot.

But on the idea of 1 hour of 5 News at 5, GMB reuse the same package reports during a the first 30mins now. It could easily be adapted to do the same.
5pm as it is then, do an interview and discussion for the second half as they do with 5 News Tonight.
GO
gottago
Always wondered why not do 5 news as 1 hour move the neighbours repeat to 630 and first look home and away to 7pm and allow it to clash with Emmerdale and not Hollyoaks whom which it shares a similar audience but what do I know

Because they use the 6:30 show to repeat a few (maybe all? I haven't watched it in a long time) of their 5pm reports. They can get away with it because they're two separate shows but having an hour long show would mean they'd have to spend more money on more reports as they can't really repeat reports in the same show. Plus I don't know if the audience they're going for would be willing to watch an hour long news show.

I think Channel 5 were reluctant to move Neighbours from its familiar 5.30 slot.

But on the idea of 1 hour of 5 News at 5, GMB reuse the same package reports during a the first 30mins now. It could easily be adapted to do the same.
5pm as it is then, do an interview and discussion for the second half as they do with 5 News Tonight.

Actually it's worth pointing out that I think they're only required to provide 45 minutes of news (plus updates) a day rather than the hour they currently provide so they could in theory have a longer bulletin starting at 4:45 without disrupting the schedule too much.
JO
Jonwo

Actually it's worth pointing out that I think they're only required to provide 45 minutes of news (plus updates) a day rather than the hour they currently provide so they could in theory have a longer bulletin starting at 4:45 without disrupting the schedule too much.

During December last year when Home and Away went on its annual break, they actually cut the 5pm news by 15 minutes and aired it at 4.45pm. I assume they exceed their yearly news quota that they can do this.
SW
Steve Williams

That would, however, mean they would have no news within the Ofcom definition of primetime, which is 6-11pm, which they're required to do.
MA
mapperuo
Downing Street lecterns have changed label design for what must be the 4th time... Someones busy!

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Driving the message home to make it more prominent obviously.

I'm expecting before the end of the next week to see massive flashing lights and a big Sky News 2004 style videowall...
WA
watchingtv
C5 suspending 1830 News (Broadcast)

In an alternative universe , the news provision on ITV, C4 and C5 might still have all been branded as ITN, and C5 might have retained a programme

Continuing tonight with Dani Sinha who presented 5pm as well.

EDIT: Clare Nasir v/o for weather recorded from home (guessing from quality)
Every year when Home & Away goes on a break they cut the news down
TM
TMD_24
Sky and BBC seem to be using a different feed for the Downing Street press conferences. Sky are not showing the slides by the chief scientific adviser where the BBC was.
BF
BFGArmy
Clearly some breakdown in communication between the broadcasters and the government with Sir Patrick Vallance referring to slides that we couldn’t actually see on BBC or Sky
MA
Markymark
Clearly some breakdown in communication between the broadcasters and the government with Sir Patrick Vallance referring to slides that we couldn’t actually see on BBC or Sky

Dreadful mess, and do the BBC really need to have their big red shouty banner on the screen during the conference. It just acts as a distraction.
WO
Worzel
Have World been taking the One, Six and Ten?
RN
Rolling News
Have World been taking the One, Six and Ten?

I’m not sure about the bulletins but I think they’ve simulcast 2-6pm this afternoon for the first time on a weekday.

Newer posts