The Gallery

ITV 2020 Rebrand Project

Giving each channel a new look, and a stronger identity. #6Channels1Network (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OA
Owen A
Hi again,

On The Gallery there's been many BBC rebrands recently, so I thought I'd try and make my own ITV channel rebrand. I've had more time on my hands in the circumstances, so I thought why not give it a go and I ended up getting a bit carried away and there's lots of images here.

Firstly, the logos. I wanted to move away from the use of the numerals and focus on the words as there's a lot more you can actually do with them. The aim of the rebrand was to give each channel a stronger identity within its logo. The biggest changes other than the use of words instead of numerals is that ITV is called ITV One to try and make the channels lineup a bit better. Also, ITVBe is now ITV Five as I wanted to use numbers for the names of each channel (excluding CITV - which I didn't make any changes to as I see it as separate to the main channel lineup). Plus, the channel name font isn't in Reem, which I felt was vital to keeping the channels looking fresh, as Reem is used all the time by ITV so a bit of differentiation is nice. The logos are arguably similar to Sky channel logos, but my main focus was on the colours and gradients used in the logos, which I think are very different to Sky's. Here's the graphic explaining further:

Next, I moved onto designing promos for different shows and I wanted to add a bit more vibrance into the promo slide and I also use the programme's logo. Key information such as the time is in the gradient colour whereas extra things are in white. There's also no photo in ITV show promo slides so I wanted to add that (with a gaussian blur to make viewers focus on the show info) to make it look a bit less bare and basic. Here's two examples, one for ITV One, and the other for the new channel, ITV Five.

Following on, I made some 'specific' logos for sections of ITV like sport, news and other stuff. The layout of the logos is inspired by the ITV Box Office Logo, but uses a filled in rectangle rather than an outline. I also used the News logo similar to the one in my other mock. I wanted to keep the Weather logo bright, seeing it as a blue sky.

Moreover, I have created an ECP for ITV Two, (which by the way returned to the original red colour as I felt it was bold and stood out). This is based off the design of the show promo slides, using the gradient and logo for key info.

I like the break bumpers ITV currently use, but especially the ones when films are on with the words "Back Soon" on them. I made my own with an image of something related to the programme at the the bottom and then the channel logo at the top left with the show's name on the right, and Back Soon below.

Now was a tricky part for me - making the idents. I think ITV Creates is a great idea and works well - but for the purpose of the concept I also wanted to make some of my own. I came up with the idea of 'Choose Your Own Idents' where anyone can go onto the ITV website and see 4 separate videos made by filmmakers who can submit their own footage (focusing on the outdoors) The one with the most votes gets used for a week. This is a similar principle to the ITV Creates idents, just giving viewers a chance to choose their favourites.

Also, I made a breakdown slide for a bit of fun. This is similar to the current one, I just incorporated the new colours and channel logos.

Finally, I thought it would be fun to give the ITV Hub a bit of a revamp for the channel rebrands. This definitely is just a rough design, and isn't the best, but it gives an idea of how the new logos would work on the Hub.

Conclusively, thanks so much to anyone who read all of my explanations and info about each detail of the rebrand, and I hope you all like the idea of giving ITV a makeover - and overall I think it make's everything look more vibrant and full of life. I look forward to receiving feedback on my new project Smile
Last edited by Owen A on 29 March 2020 9:16pm
TV
TVVT
Now this is a very good one. IMHO the Choose Your Idents idea for the rebranded ITV One is better than ITV Creates since it actually lets the viewers take part and not just designers.

IMO for the promos I would shrink the text and maybe experiment with vertical style promo.
Also I would redesign the Hub as the one you have made here feels bit empty, If I were you I’d put the Choose A Channel option at the top and on the front page have a big or highly anticipated programme at the top and have it big.

Also maybe I would include CITV in the rebrand as it looks out of place when put alongside the 5 main channels. Maybe just give it a new name like ITV Kids or ITV Six, or a C then have the ITV logo in the box. Also, what about ITVBe’s Little Be?

Although it is nice overall.

4.3/5
DO
dosxuk
All your text is far too big, you could probably halve it and still be fine. You need to apply safe areas to your designs and space things out a load to give it space and look at the structure - the promo slides especially look like they've just been designed to use all the available space, with things fitted in where there is space rather than what it is. I also completely disagree with your rationale for not using the ITV brand font in your channel logos. In your page of multiple logos, the best looking ones are for news and weather, because they're "on brand". If you're going to introduce a new logo typeface for the channel logos, it needs to be something distinctive, which your current font really isn't.

Kudos for actually explaining what you're trying to do though, something sadly missing from many people's posts. Good luck and please carry on.
bitxoin, Rory and Owen A gave kudos
OA
Owen A
TVVT posted:
Now this is a very good one. IMHO the Choose Your Idents idea for the rebranded ITV One is better than ITV Creates since it actually lets the viewers take part and not just designers.

IMO for the promos I would shrink the text and maybe experiment with vertical style promo.
Also I would redesign the Hub as the one you have made here feels bit empty, If I were you I’d put the Choose A Channel option at the top and on the front page have a big or highly anticipated programme at the top and have it big.

Also maybe I would include CITV in the rebrand as it looks out of place when put alongside the 5 main channels. Maybe just give it a new name like ITV Kids or ITV Six, or a C then have the ITV logo in the box. Also, what about ITVBe’s Little Be?

Although it is nice overall.

4.3/5

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! I’ll be sure to change the Hub around and resize a few things in the second edition Smile
TV
TVVT
Sorry for posting again so soon, but will you ever animate these logos into a video format to see what it would look like on TV?
DeeMartie and Owen A gave kudos
OA
Owen A
All your text is far too big, you could probably halve it and still be fine. You need to apply safe areas to your designs and space things out a load to give it space and look at the structure - the promo slides especially look like they've just been designed to use all the available space, with things fitted in where there is space rather than what it is. I also completely disagree with your rationale for not using the ITV brand font in your channel logos. In your page of multiple logos, the best looking ones are for news and weather, because they're "on brand". If you're going to introduce a new logo typeface for the channel logos, it needs to be something distinctive, which your current font really isn't.

Kudos for actually explaining what you're trying to do though, something sadly missing from many people's posts. Good luck and please carry on.

Thanks for the feedback - in response your point about the large text, if you look at the current ITV branding, for example the breakdown slide, the text is huge, however I will still make a few things smaller where it makes things more effective for the viewer. I’ll also try and apply safe areas in the second version. I still stand by my use of font different to Reem, as I wanted the font in the channel logo to be only used in the channel logo. Therefore, the logo is instantly recognisable to anyone. Smile
OA
Owen A
TVVT posted:
Sorry for posting again so soon, but will you ever animate these logos into a video format to see what it would look like on TV?

I could definitely try to do this, but I might need to ask for a bit of help with After Effects in the separate thread, as I don’t think my current motion graphics ability is amazing Smile
OA
Owen A
Quote:

I didn't even see this bit of your feedback sorry! When I was designing the revamped ITV Hub, and I put the CITV logo in I definitely thought that it looked very out of place. This is something I'll address in the second edition of the mock, but I will struggle with thinking of a name, as CITV is so widely known so it would be strange changing it, but then again it doesn't really fit with the other channels all being numbered now.
TV
TVVT
I made a rough and IMO not very good vision of what I think the CITV logo could look like if it was unified with the other channels
DM
DeMarkay
Quote:

I didn't even see this bit of your feedback sorry! When I was designing the revamped ITV Hub, and I put the CITV logo in I definitely thought that it looked very out of place. This is something I'll address in the second edition of the mock, but I will struggle with thinking of a name, as CITV is so widely known so it would be strange changing it, but then again it doesn't really fit with the other channels all being numbered now.

ITV Kids?
TV
TVVT
Believe it or not, when the CITV channel was in the pipeline, ITV Kids was one of the considered names, but it was changed to CITV to associate it more with the main brand.
OA
Owen A
Thanks, I love the colours of this so they'll probably be used in the next edition of the mock Smile

Newer posts