Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

BA
bilky asko Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I guess it's conceivable it was mastered using a vector-based rather than bitmap-based animation system so IF that data still exists you may be able to re-render in HD - but that feels like a long-shot...

The show was only animated with digital ink and paint (on a regular basis) from Season 14 onwards (2002), and the show was made in HD from 2009, so I presume that could only every apply to 7 years' worth of the show.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
You can see the film dirt, scratches and weave quite easily if you look closely on those pre-early 00s episodes, so they quite clearly did the animation on film, even if the post-production and mastering was done on video. Whether that film still exists is another question though. Maybe it doesn't, which is why they've just processed the SD masters, or it does but they did that way anyway because it's a lot quicker and cheaper (but looks terrible). It's quite clearly a rushed process after all, so maybe they didn't have the time and/or money to do a proper remaster.
JO
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87)
Quality of restoration of older TV shows and movies varies from studio to studio, Warner Bros for example has done restorations of both Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz and the results are stunning especially when you see it on TV as they provide the newer copies of those films. In regards to TV, Friends is one that comes to mind where the newer copies look better than they did originally.
NG
noggin Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Quality of restoration of older TV shows and movies varies from studio to studio, Warner Bros for example has done restorations of both Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz and the results are stunning especially when you see it on TV as they provide the newer copies of those films. In regards to TV, Friends is one that comes to mind where the newer copies look better than they did originally.

Yep - it all depends on whether you have decent source material, and the budget to recreate EDLs if they no longer exist and the show was originally shot on film and cut on tape.

ISTR that Star Trek : TNG used some image recognition stuff to match re-telecined HD rushes to the original SD edit masters as the EDLs didn't survive.

If you don't have the film elements and only have SD VT copies, then up conversion is the only route.
NG
noggin Founding member
I guess it's conceivable it was mastered using a vector-based rather than bitmap-based animation system so IF that data still exists you may be able to re-render in HD - but that feels like a long-shot...

The show was only animated with digital ink and paint (on a regular basis) from Season 14 onwards (2002), and the show was made in HD from 2009, so I presume that could only every apply to 7 years' worth of the show.

Yes - thinking about it The Simpsons has been around since The Tracey Ullman Show hasn't it - so it must have originally been a film animation.

I remember it being digitally produced in the early 00s when it was still SD - I wonder whether that was 480-line SD rendered?
JA
The Tracey Ullman shorts began in 1987 and the series proper in 1989, before I imagine digital ink and paint techniques were in wide use.
JA
The TV series, Smart Guy, which was there at launch, has also vanished for some reason.
KU
Kunst World News
Same in Italy and other European countries..

If the same happens to Boy Meets World, I might get angry Very Happy
JA
A quick look at the lists of the UK launch lineup from a couple of weeks back, Smart Guy isn't on there, so maybe they released it early by mistake?
DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
Because of you know what 'Frozen II' apparently is going to be rushed onto the platform in the US 'by Easter', not sure whether it'll be similarly provided here.
JA
Because of you know what 'Frozen II' apparently is going to be rushed onto the platform in the US 'by Easter', not sure whether it'll be similarly provided here.

Apparently it won't be, due to Sky Movies having the rights.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
Radiotimes suggests Frozen II comes to Disney+ in July.
Presumably its going to sit on Sky Store for a while until then.

Newer posts