TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
davidhorman
I miss the days of Blackadder and the like where no-one cared if you could hear the audience coughing between jokes or that the actors sometimes had to wait for the laughter to die down before they could finish their line. They do too much editing these days. I remember one reviewer lamenting that that sitcom with Simon Farnaby was great when he watched it live, but was awful and flat after the editors had got their hands on it.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 4:06pm
SW
Steve Williams
One thought that went through my mind on the afternoon of Sept 11 2001, was surely disaster movies
will never been shown again, never mind made !

Well, this is true enough - BBC1 showed Deep Impact at Christmas 2000 and then showed it again in primetime about a week before 9/11, and I remember my friend saying that at least they'd got their money's worth out of it given they'd never show it again. And they showed it in primetime again within about six months.

They really loved Deep Impact at the time actually, four primetime screenings within two and a half years on BBC1 - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?order=asc&q=%22deep+impact%22#search
DA
davidhorman

Yes, there are comedies from way back where you can actually hear one specific person in the audience guffawing loudly above everyone else and that actually adds to the overall mirth in itself.

That often seemed to happen to Tony Hancock. There's one episode where there's an absolute screecher in the audience, and at one point he stops to say, "Madam, please." (in good humour). In fact there are quite a few wall-breaking moments in Hancock's Half Hour, which I had previously thought was a modern phenomenon (e.g. Mrs Brown's Boys ).

The other one I'm reminded of is an Eddie Izzard gig where someone starts hooting with laughter and he has to ask "Where were you in the first half?!"
HC
Hatton Cross
Bill Maher has the same occasional problem.
There is a woman who is in his audience of Real Time, seemingly every few weeks, and has this really noticable squeeling loud giggly laugh.

Co-incidentally, she laughs at some gags that don't really land with the rest of the audience - and, probably believing it's done deliberatly, once Bill once called her out by looking at her and said in a semi-serious manner "This lady needs to settle down - this is a comdy programme"
IS
Inspector Sands
Seth Myers has an item called A Closer Look which has its own title sting, there's a a very distinctive female laugh on that. Always wondered if that was on the sting itself and blow me when he did an episode without an audience the other week she was still there!

The Radio 4 panel show The Unbelievable Truth has the same thing on its title music too
IS
Inspector Sands

Yes, there are comedies from way back where you can actually hear one specific person in the audience guffawing loudly above everyone else and that actually adds to the overall mirth in itself.

Probably to do with where the audience mics are positioned. Reminds me of a thing I heard about Crackerjack where some scouts in the audience worked out where the mic was near them and started loudly swearing into it.

Back to Blackadder, the worst thing about it is the shrieking laughter during the Flash heart scenes in series 4. So cringy I can't bear to watch it
HC
Hatton Cross
Isn't the Flasheart 'audience roar' a cross series 'in-joke' though?

IIRC In series 2, a scene with Rik took a lot of takes, and by the end of it the audience were getting naturally bored of hearing the same line and were told to put on false laughter until the actors nailed it - leading to the overreactional sheriks and gaffaws from the studio audience (one presumed egged on by Rik himself).

It seems that overblow audience reaction to his 'jokes' and appearences then followed Flasheart across the series generational divides.
JB
JasonB

Yes, there are comedies from way back where you can actually hear one specific person in the audience guffawing loudly above everyone else

Philip Schofield loves boasting to Friends actors when they appear on this morning that you can hear his laugh in one episode he attended.

From 5:50

14 days later

KE
kernow
Slightly odd scheduling on ITV Wales tonight.

Because of You've Been Framed not being shown earlier, with Wales This Week replacing it, You've Been Framed is now being shown after News at Ten, followed by a repeat of Paul O'Grady: For the Love of Dogs.

Personally, I think it would have been better to have stuck with the network after News at Ten, and shown the repeat of Return to Belsen, with You've Been Framed being shown at a later date.
BR
Brekkie
Pretty standard practice to air anything displaced in primetime in place of a narrative repeat airing after News at Ten as soon as possible, even if an earlier slot at the weekend might be more appropriate.

I think POGDOGs may have been displaced yesterday - frankly the opt-out content is all over the place at the moment.
JE
Jez Founding member
ITV Wales always do that. Whichever slots in peak time are opt outs for Wales local programming (often Monday, Wed and Friday at 8pm between Corrie ) whichever show is missed is shown after the late news often replacing a repeat of something else in the 10.40pm slot or pushing that show back later. With YBF and Paul O Grady's show both being repeats im surprised they bothered to air them but maybe they just wanted to keep the slot consistent to what it would have been.

They do it on Sundays as well. ITV Wales often show Newsweek on Sunday lunchtimes which generally replaces an hour show and then another half hour local show (sometimes even a repeat) makes up the other half hour. A few Sundays ago however the schedule was half an hour behind on ITV Wales until later in the afternoon including the repeat of the previous nights The Voice and a film. All running half an hour later. Reminded me a bit of the old days when Sunday afternoons the regions all did their own thing.

Newer posts