The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BL
bluecortina
Totally pointless on location TV news interviews need to end NOW.

Just one example from Channel 4 News this evening. Krishnan interviewed cabinet minister Robert Jenrick out in the open near Parliament. Why did they need to meet like that? This could have easily been conducted via video link/skype or whatever remotely. There was literally no need for that outdoor interview set up whatsoever.

I'm more concerned by the gimmick of the presenter, presenting from home, using what is clearly a proper broadcast set up, and lighting. Unless of course C4's presenters are now fully skilled engineers and lighting directors. I can't believe it doesn't involve several people in there to set it all up?

One producer and one cameraman using LiveU.
MA
Markymark
Totally pointless on location TV news interviews need to end NOW.

Just one example from Channel 4 News this evening. Krishnan interviewed cabinet minister Robert Jenrick out in the open near Parliament. Why did they need to meet like that? This could have easily been conducted via video link/skype or whatever remotely. There was literally no need for that outdoor interview set up whatsoever.

I'm more concerned by the gimmick of the presenter, presenting from home, using what is clearly a proper broadcast set up, and lighting. Unless of course C4's presenters are now fully skilled engineers and lighting directors. I can't believe it doesn't involve several people in there to set it all up?

One producer and one cameraman using LiveU.

And the presenter, so three people in the confined space of an average British living room. I don't get it?
MA
Markymark

Perhaps they’re testing for the studio being out of action. Seems sensible.

Just the studio, or the entire GIR site, in which case where will all the production staff be located?

I'm all for the home reporting and presentation, but this part of C4 News' initiative seems just too overproduced to have any positive benefit?
RD
RDJ
Peston is still continuing to air tonight even though he is self-isolating at home.

Going to be interesting how they handle this.

EDIT: From the promo they just aired, Anoushka will be in the studio doing the interviews and Robert will be providing analysis and comment in-between.
Last edited by RDJ on 25 March 2020 10:34pm
TV
TVEngineer

I'm all for the home reporting and presentation, but this part of C4 News' initiative seems just too overproduced to have any positive benefit?

Amplifying this important note. I wonder if any of my industry colleagues share my concerns of how many key workers are being assigned to shows that are clearly not public service broadcasting. I'm hearing some frightening production decisions being made by broadcasters, from colleagues involved in shows that have no merit other than maintaining profit/audience share. No programme should go to air if it puts lives at risk and medium sized groups of people working in a close knit tv environment is asking for trouble.

Should broadcasters take more responsibility now be more strict on what live shows are now made? Should all live shows now be restricted to news only, and should they be a single presenter led with a locked off or remotely operated camera with absolute bare minimum crew? I think we're at that point now.

I suspect this isn't the right platform for this question given that tv forum seems more concerned about overlapping DOGs!
AS
AlexS

Amplifying this important note. I wonder if any of my industry colleagues share my concerns of how many key workers are being assigned to shows that are clearly not public service broadcasting. I'm hearing some frightening production decisions being made by broadcasters, from colleagues involved in shows that have no merit other than maintaining profit/audience share. No programme should go to air if it puts lives at risk and medium sized groups of people working in a close knit tv environment is asking for trouble.

Should broadcasters take more responsibility now be more strict on what live shows are now made? Should all live shows now be restricted to news only, and should they be a single presenter led with a locked off or remotely operated camera with absolute bare minimum crew? I think we're at that point now.

I suspect this isn't the right platform for this question given that tv forum seems more concerned about overlapping DOGs!

Live programming shouldn't be restricted purely to news. Programmes such as the Martin Lewis money ones provide just as much public service broadcasting as the news and are just as important. That's not to say that everything still going out live needs to do so, for example its almost unbelievable that most, if not all, of the shopping channels are still broadcasting live (many 24/7).
AN
Andrew Founding member
RDJ posted:
Peston is still continuing to air tonight even though he is self-isolating at home.

Going to be interesting how they handle this.

EDIT: From the promo they just aired, Anoushka will be in the studio doing the interviews and Robert will be providing analysis and comment in-between.

I was disappointed she didn’t start with a “Wotcha!” Very Happy
TV
TVEngineer
AlexS posted:

Live programming shouldn't be restricted purely to news. Programmes such as the Martin Lewis money ones provide just as much public service broadcasting as the news and are just as important. That's not to say that everything still going out live needs to do so, for example its almost unbelievable that most, if not all, of the shopping channels are still broadcasting live (many 24/7).

There are other way of making shows as proven in these last few days - a presenter outside, a mic on the end a longer boom, a single camera on the end of a zoom lens and a single editor working in a suite isolated from colleagues? Why do all these shows need a studio with a larger crew? Public service broadcasting does not automatically mean studio based content.

Yes the shopping channel situation is shocking, assuming they're not re-running prerecorded content from a few days ago? Even with my newly enforced hometime I'm not watching shopping channels!
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 4:06pm
LH
lhx1985
AlexS posted:

Must admit that in curiosity of this point you make I also checked out the lower numbers on the EPG last night to see if all those "babes" were still writhing away naked expecting punters to call them and they were all there doing their late night stuff as they presumably usually do. Clearly they are key workers then!

Were they not twerking from home?
BR
Brekkie
AlexS posted:

Some entertainment programming is just as important too just to keep the morale of the nation up too - and to be fair to the main broadcasters at least it's probably costing them more to keep the likes of This Morning going than it would closing it down.
DV
DVB Cornwall

Newer posts