The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NB
nbafan89
Riz Lateef will be on London as normal for the main bulletin, but lunch will now be a merged bulletin in line with the Coronavirus cuts.

and Chrissie Reidy was a former ITV national weather presenter, pleasantly suprised to see her on the bulletins this morning and yesterday
LL
London Lite Founding member
Riz Lateef will be on London as normal for the main bulletin, but lunch will now be a merged bulletin in line with the Coronavirus cuts.

and Chrissie Reidy was a former ITV national weather presenter, pleasantly suprised to see her on the bulletins this morning and yesterday

She was also ITV London's regional forecaster as well.
DA
davidhorman

Are you sure, considering the number of people he'll have been in contact with?

Statistically speaking, yes.

No it isn't. Tell people ONCE, not repeat it for 20 minutes. I switched over after 10 minutes because it was just becoming a sycophantic propaganda-fest.

Exactly. I wouldn't actually have minded if it had been several times in an hour, and I expect that's how it'll be for the rest of the day anyway - it was the fact that it was one long uninterrupted - even for the TOTH - half an hour of Prince Charles and nothing else.
MA
Markymark
As mentioned in the presentation thread - he is the first in line to the throne, the coverage is justified.

No it isn't. Tell people ONCE, not repeat it for 20 minutes. I switched over after 10 minutes because it was just becoming a sycophantic propaganda-fest.

Agreed. I wish him well, and he's in exponentially increasing good company, but there's a far bigger picture here. Same applies to other celebs and well known people.
Last edited by Markymark on 25 March 2020 4:34pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
Is that another new lecturn design?
Brekkie and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
I’m streaming the Downing Street briefing today via the BBC News website where, notably, there are no graphics or lower thirds, no signer for the deaf and no view of the correspondents asking the questions.

Perhaps they’re trying different formats each day to see what works best.

I’d like a simple split screen at the point of the remote correspondent asking a question. (I’m being pedantic).

However, the pres aspects are secondary to the technical and medical content of the briefing itself.
MA
Markymark
As if vertical video contributions aren't enough, I see now increasing Skype [1]contributions using the so called Bokeh effect to produce a horrible un natural image.

[1] Other video call products are available

[2] Naturally none of this is important
NE
Newsroom
The weekly Wednesday night News Special with Rachel Burden really does show how well that Breakfast studio can work with a solo presenter. Anyone not familiar with Breakfast would be forgiven for thinking it was big.

For perspective - watch on iPlayer afterwards.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 4:08pm
MA
Markymark
Totally pointless on location TV news interviews need to end NOW.

Just one example from Channel 4 News this evening. Krishnan interviewed cabinet minister Robert Jenrick out in the open near Parliament. Why did they need to meet like that? This could have easily been conducted via video link/skype or whatever remotely. There was literally no need for that outdoor interview set up whatsoever.

I'm more concerned by the gimmick of the presenter, presenting from home, using what is clearly a proper broadcast set up, and lighting. Unless of course C4's presenters are now fully skilled engineers and lighting directors. I can't believe it doesn't involve several people in there to set it all up?
LV
LondonViewer

I'm more concerned by the gimmick of the presenter, presenting from home, using what is clearly a proper broadcast set up, and lighting. Unless of course C4's presenters are now fully skilled engineers and lighting directors. I can't believe it doesn't involve several people in there to set it all up?

Perhaps they’re testing for the studio being out of action. Seems sensible.
LL
London Lite Founding member
BBC London had a behind the scenes VT showing viewers how the bulletin is continued to be prepared with journalists largely at home.

Newer posts