« Topics
james-20016,038 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today

I thought Disney did a U-turn and said they'd reinstate the 4:3 versions of The Simpsons after a backlash in the US. Did I just make that up?

That was for the launch of the US version of Disney+. Apparently they're going to "fix" it. In 2020.

They said "early 2020", a timeframe that we must surely be nearing the end of now. How long exactly does it take to put the 4:3 versions on the system?

And even if they do eventually fix it with The Simpsons, will they do it with the other shows too? All the attention's been focused on it being done to that show, but the other ones that are only in cropped versions are getting little attention. I know Chip n Dale and Goof Troop are affected, I think The Little Mermaid is too. All three are HD remasters, but Timon and Pumbaa and The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh are also HD remasters, but in 4:3. There are both 4:3 and 16:9 HD remasters of all 5 shows, so why there's no consistency on which version they use, using the 4:3 versions for two of the shows and 16:9 for the other three, is a mystery.
Neil Jones6,183 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
I've seen suggestions that one of the reasons there's been so many live action remakes recently is to extend their rights on the stories. No idea how accurate that really is though.

I think its more of a trend since all manner of films and TV shows have been "revived" as of late, as have remakes of various films. Of course by remaking the TV shows they'll have native proper widescreen copies they can use, as opposed to chopping off the top and the bottom of a 4:3 picture from the original work and labelling that as widescreen.
PFMC841,734 posts since 28 Feb 2013
UTV Newsline
Nice to see my LG TV has an app for Disney+, so downloaded it and signed in and fired up The Simpsons, S1E1.... in 16:9. Nope. Will hold off watching some classic episodes until they fix the picture problems. I have no issue with them restoring the old episodes into HD to clean up the image and make the colours pop more, but absolutely no cropping should be done. Leave them as they should be in 4:3.
Rkolsen3,166 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
I've seen suggestions that one of the reasons there's been so many live action remakes recently is to extend their rights on the stories. No idea how accurate that really is though.

But are not a lot of stories Disney uses are based on old fairy tales that could be made up by anyone?
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
whoiam989 gave kudos
Neil Jones6,183 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today

But are not a lot of stories Disney uses are based on old fairy tales that could be made up by anyone?

Some of them, but it could be argued (to pick a more recent example) The Lion King is based on Shakespeare's Hamlet (to a part), but Hamlet itself is supposedly based on an Scandinavian legend which has its roots going further back, not withstanding the point of view that Shakespeare didn't write half the plays he has been credited with but...

I dare say most stories that are well used today could be traced back to caveman grunting "Ugg" at each other and painting on cave walls.
thegeek gave kudos
dosxuk4,468 posts since 22 Oct 2005
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

The Disney IP is the characters, their look, the songs and the story alterations. While many of their stories are based on age old tales, it's those elements that people want to use because they're so famous, with many people not even realising the stories are older than the films.
whoiam989 gave kudos
noggin14,772 posts since 26 Jun 2001
It's worse that they aren't even proper HD restorations, just the SD copies put through some quite awful processing. At least the other shows I've mentioned are proper HD restorations, even if they are cropped.

Wouldn't you have to re-animate The Simpsons to make it HD? Wasn't it animated in the 480 line SD video domain in the SD era, meaning there is no HD-quality source that you could remaster from? At best you can do a high-quality upscale?

I don't think it was mastered on film.

I guess it's conceivable it was mastered using a vector-based rather than bitmap-based animation system so IF that data still exists you may be able to re-render in HD - but that feels like a long-shot...