TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NA
natwel27
In fact, I think the logo looks better in all caps. It would match BBC Two currently also.
JO
Jonny
That Forest ident is truly appalling.

Put the silent logo animation in the centre of the standard red trail endboard and call it a day until further notice - I'm sure they've used something like this before?
AS
Asa Admin
Intrigued to see Forest back, I thought it had been replaced with the centred logo generic version (although I see NI did use that).
NA
natwel27
They've got to bring back the balloon. Something that is truly isolated from everything else yet still feels like it brings everyone together.
VM
VMPhil
I'm just glad the fact it uses the old, old logo means we won't see a reairing of the old BBC VHS ident from when I was younger - that music used to haunt me and that bleak music would be the last thing we need at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8jf_93Lv8

How could you not love that?? It's beautiful.

I've never, ever understood the notion that it is somehow scary. I had many videos with it on and it certainly didn't traumatise me as a kid.
PF
PFML84
Plain red textured background with large BBC ONE NI logo introduced the broadcast rather than an actual ident.
RD
RDJ
I'm just glad the fact it uses the old, old logo means we won't see a reairing of the old BBC VHS ident from when I was younger - that music used to haunt me and that bleak music would be the last thing we need at the moment.

I've never, ever understood the notion that it is somehow scary. I had many videos with it on and it certainly didn't traumatise me as a kid.

I used to have to get my mum to rewind my Mr Blobby and Pingu videos past the BBC logo as I would scream just at the sight of it. My mum confiscated the video in the end... think that was only last week.
BF
BFGArmy

It’s the music - it’s incredibly sombre. Combine that with the dark black and you half expect a something equally grave or grim to be announced right after. It has if anything too much gravitas.
It’s hardly a nice little jingle/ident.
BR
Brekkie
And I thought snowflakes were a new thing.
TO
Tom03
100% agree with that music being terrifying. One thing that absolutely chills me to my soul even more than any horror film I've ever seen is the Diana death newsflashes. That one with the female continuity announcer is soul destroying. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Shocked Laughing
GE
thegeek Founding member
I suppose it's a bit minor key, but I never thought of it as haunting or scary. A version of it was used on air for BBC promotional films in the 90s, eg:
SC
Si-Co
Just watched last night’s EastEnders and, bearing in mind it was followed by the PM’s broadcast, I felt the ECVO’s were almost encouraging people to switch OFF rather than stay tuned for an important broadcast. The way the announcer said “head to the BBC Sounds app NOW”!

Very nice to see Forest in use again.

Newer posts