The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
Jarv
In my opinion a very impressive job by Fiona there.

Then the complete change of tone with Outside Source
WO
Worzel

Yes, I don't think we've ever seen Fiona Bruce in breaking/rolling news mode. Thought she was faultless to be fair. Shows she can do it though. Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end.
BA
Batavia

She was great. Authoritative but calm, informative but not cold. That will have had a positive influence on how many people absorbed the content of the PM's statement. Many of her peers would struggle to strike a similar tone.
BF
BFGArmy
Surprisingly for somebody who’s anchored news bulletins across 4 decades Fiona Bruce is quite good at presenting the news.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 4:19pm
BF
BFGArmy
That’s not meant too snarkily to be clear - she got the tone spot on. But I wouldn’t say it was that different to her normal role - it was a 30 minute special bulletin with her largely recapping the address and exchanges with correspondents. Skills she’d regularly use doing bulletins.
JA
Jarv
That’s not meant too snarkily to be clear - she got the tone spot on. But I wouldn’t say it was that different to her normal role - it was a 30 minute special bulletin with her largely recapping the address and exchanges with correspondents. Skills she’d regularly use doing bulletins.

In a situation like this would she have known what was going to be announced so can prepare?
BF
BFGArmy
I hope we don't see a scene from the blitz with people panic buying in supermarkets tomorrow - in even more droves.

News companies and broadcasters will be readying their cameras outside supermarkets as we speak. I’ve no doubt the headlines tomorrow will be of chaos, bedlum and arrests at supermarkets tomorrow
GE
thegeek Founding member
incidentally, Channel 4 News were already scheduled to be on air until 2030, but remained on air for a bit of reaction and eventually signed off at about 2045. They've done a few extended programmes in recent years (mostly Brexit-related), but have generally been shunted over to More4 at 2000 - so this is probably the latest they've been on the main channel in quite some time.
JT
jolly turnip
Fiona Bruce was on normal Monday shift, but the most ideal anchor to have on duty to get the tine right. Genuinely believe she is the most authoritative clear news presenter there is. Now Alistair Stewart gone from ITV there is no one else that gets my attention the most.

Her presence made the already historic announcement even more so.
MA
Markymark
I wish just one reporter asks the question, many friends and family are asking tonight, what are the limits of essential work. Key workers, as listed a few days ago, or something wider?

Someone I know works for Sky, they've been told they are critical workers. Really?
Last edited by Markymark on 23 March 2020 9:44pm
BR
Brekkie
Jarv posted:
Outside source really?

Do they not listen at all. Should surely be Inside Source now. Laughing
cmthwtv, BFGArmy and AndrewPSSP gave kudos

Newer posts