« Topics
Newsroom1,985 posts since 2 Mar 2005 Banned for 1 week
Here is the rather odd wide shot . . .
Louise has been saying that she wants a side table for her coffee, Sally offered to bring one in, so we'll see if anything appears tomorrow. Very Happy

What’s odd about it?

Nothing odd at all, social distancing is a reality.
Formerly News Room
I've scored a Hat-trick of WARNINGS
Brekkie gave kudos
Stuart7,478 posts since 13 Oct 2003
Westcountry Spotlight

I think you misunderstood the point I was making.

The 'oddness' is the continued use of this angle, which emphasises the image closer to the camera. Just look at the circular dais, to see how distorted the image normally appears, but not usually noticeable as much when there are only a few people on the sofa close together.

That angle is normally used to make the space look bigger, but in this instance exaggerates the distance between presenters, and also makes Louise appear taller than Dan, which clearly she isn't (she's about a foot shorter).
Steve Williams2,997 posts since 1 Aug 2008
How are these done? Is it still branded as South East? Presumably the weather is a larger map?

There's a grab in another thread, but it's referred to as London & South East both verbally and on screen (on the studio screen and lower thirds). And indeed there is a bigger weather map.

EDIT: Here's Fridays - https://youtu.be/860fMkHQwOM
Inspector Sands gave kudos
Inspector Sands14,483 posts since 25 Aug 2004

BBC London & BBC South East have been doing a joint bulletin (from Tunbridge Wells) since Saturday, presumably to reduce the need to require staffing Studio D at NBH.

I don't think it's that as much as it frees spaces on the rotas that can be better used elsewhere in BH. Maybe Salford might see something similar should things get bad - regional staff redeployed to 5 Live and breakfast?
Mike W4,988 posts since 30 Apr 2006
London London
How are these done? Is it still branded as South East? Presumably the weather is a larger map?

There's a grab in another thread, but it's referred to as London & South East both verbally and on screen (on the studio screen and lower thirds). And indeed there is a bigger weather map.

EDIT: Here's Fridays - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860fMkHQwOMhttps://youtu.be/860fMkHQwOM

That portion of the South East Today set always reminds me of the 1999 era of BBC News, the backdrop looks like it's simply not lit or is lit in cream hues.
Also is that camera badly focused or am I due an eye test?
Oh it's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it with you...
what, AndrewPSSP and Stuart gave kudos
Newsroom1,985 posts since 2 Mar 2005 Banned for 1 week

I think you misunderstood the point I was making.

The 'oddness' is the continued use of this angle, which emphasises the image closer to the camera. Just look at the circular dais, to see how distorted the image normally appears, but not usually noticeable as much when there are only a few people on the sofa close together.

That angle is normally used to make the space look bigger, but in this instance exaggerates the distance between presenters, and also makes Louise appear taller than Dan, which clearly she isn't (she's about a foot shorter).

Ah thanks for the added explanation. The very idea of Louise being taller than Dan made me chuckle.
Formerly News Room
I've scored a Hat-trick of WARNINGS
Stuart gave kudos