The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
Watching back on iPlayer they crashed into the iPlayer trailer, and following the weather, closed the programme "we now return to the network news" and crashed into the network bulletin.
AN
Andrew Founding member
AlexS posted:
I get the logic behind having a separate bulletin but the execution just looked weird on screen with Mishal saying your watching BBC News followed by a trailer with no close and then a continuity announcement back into the news.

Indeed, it was very odd, and I assumed the news special had just included the weekend news. The generic “You’re watching BBC News” at the end didn’t help.

East Yorks and Lincs obviously assumed the same, although you’d assume the network let the regions know what is going on. Did they do the full 5 mins twice, or abandon the first one when they realised it was an error?
DH
DH33
I suspect that Look North EY&L opted at the wrong time. As Crashed back into the network news after. So we had the five minute bulletin at 6.10 now what looks like the evening news

We had the same NWT bulletin it was very weird.
TR
trevormon
It sounds like it's Vicki's mic. Even when Jon isn't speaking, Vicki still sounds quiet and you can hear ambient sound from the weather.

It sounded like the front mic on the camera from about 2 metres away. Normally a personal mic, either wired or radio, would be used but there wasn't any sign of one. If that was ruled out because of the new coronavirus rules I would have expected a gun mic on a stand just out of shot, but it sounded much further away than that.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
So behind Jon Craig after that news conference and all the talk of 2 metres apart what did we see? About 5 or 6 people shuffle out the door of No10 Downing Street all huddled close together with each other. Such a great look eh! I despair.

Nothing unusual about being told to do something by somebody who then goes and does it themselves, as the Dutch PM proved last week:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-51820520/coronavirus-dutch-pm-tells-nation-not-to-shake-hands-then-does
JT
jolly turnip
AlexS posted:
I get the logic behind having a separate bulletin but the execution just looked weird on screen with Mishal saying your watching BBC News followed by a trailer with no close and then a continuity announcement back into the news.

Indeed, it was very odd, and I assumed the news special had just included the weekend news. The generic “You’re watching BBC News” at the end didn’t help.

East Yorks and Lincs obviously assumed the same, although you’d assume the network let the regions know what is going on. Did they do the full 5 mins twice, or abandon the first one when they realised it was an error?

Yes full bulletin twice. At 6.10 and 6.25.
So EY&L and it seems NWT went early - any other regions?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Sky's Press Preview is now just a presenter and one panellist only. They booked two, so tonight there's one at 10.30 and the other is on at 11.30.
RN
Rolling News
Not sure if it's been mentioned but looking at the schedules it seems BBC One is simulcasting the NC from 9-10am from tomorrow, with BBC Two simulcasting from 10am. Although it could of course be wrong as everything is a bit different at the moment.
BR
Brekkie
Sky's Press Preview is now just a presenter and one panellist only. They booked two, so tonight there's one at 10.30 and the other is on at 11.30.

So they're probably still unnecessarily mixing between 11pm and 11.30pm back stage, assuming they are in the studio.
LL
London Lite Founding member

So they're probably still unnecessarily mixing between 11pm and 11.30pm back stage, assuming they are in the studio.

I understand they normally prep in Sky Central downstairs where there's plenty of space to socially isolate.
WO
Worzel
Martine Croxall still on at midnight and now in C.
:-(
A former member

Kate Andrews tweeted a picture showing the other paper reviewer sat a fair distance away.

Newer posts