Media Websites

The decline of BBC News online

(November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
peterrocket Founding member
What is this bizarre image BBC News keep using in their storm articles?

Infographics, like the one attached, are made responsive in a toolkit, so chances are the picture is fine in one format, but badly cropped in another.
GO
gottago

Infographics, like the one attached, are made responsive in a toolkit, so chances are the picture is fine in one format, but badly cropped in another.
Here's how it looks on my phone. Not much better!
TI
TIGHazard

Here's how it looks on my phone. Not much better!

At least you can see more people struggling in the background

(Speaking of which, I was there and saw this picture being taken)

33 days later

PA
pad
I still find it bizarre the BBC News website and app haven’t been updated to use Reith. I wonder if it’s in the works at all or if it’s just been delayed for some reason.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
pad posted:
I still find it bizarre the BBC News website and app haven’t been updated to use Reith. I wonder if it’s in the works at all or if it’s just been delayed for some reason.

There’s a brand new version of the app coming this year. It’ll be in that along with a complete redesign.

Sadly, things aren’t as easy as just changing a style sheet!
PA
pad
Oh, no doubt it’s not a straightforward task. I just presumed it would have been something they’d like to have done closer the the TV package change.

Only 4 months left til it’s been a whole year!

Glad to hear the app is updating at some point though, hope the website is too.
PE
Pete Founding member
pad posted:

Can we put an end to this sort of chat right now please? You don't just reskin a website with a new font.

LTSC1980, Owen_ploc and Anglialad gave kudos
PA
pad
Looks like you've misinterpreted me. I'm not expecting them to "reskin" anything, nor am I saying any update is simple, especially on such a huge website. Obviously it's a monumental undertaking, just like the national and regional graphics package updates were.

I think we're all expecting an updated design for online at some point (that obviously extends beyond simply a font change). Just would have thought the website and app would have been updated by now, 8 months on from the on-screen rebrand.

And there's nothing wrong with me saying that.
JO
Jon
I doubt it’ll be something that happens in the near future!
BA
Bail Moderator
Pete posted:
pad posted:

Can we put an end to this sort of chat right now please? You don't just reskin a website with a new font.

I saw the image and thought "I know who'll like this" only you already posted it...
JA
james-2001
I imagine with current world events, BBC News have a lot more important things to do than think about changing a font.
AndrewPSSP, Brekkie and sda| gave kudos
PA
pad
I imagine with current world events, BBC News have a lot more important things to do than think about changing a font.

This is of course true now in March 2020, but it’s still a bit odd there wasn’t even a mention of the website and app brand alignment at any point since July‘s TV rebrand last year.

Newer posts