The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
News96
Seems today's Breifing has been pulled forward to 2:00pm!

DV
dvboy
They need to move them earlier in the day so that businesses and services have time to react to them before everyone goes home.
DO
dosxuk
But so will the stock market
AS
AlexS
dvboy posted:
They need to move them earlier in the day so that businesses and services have time to react to them before everyone goes home.

Ideally they should be outside of stock market opening hours to try and prevent shocks occurring before people have chance to digest them.
TR
trevormon

Newsroom South East - almost back from the dead. Laughing

They would have take back the Oxford area from South Today as well to recreate the old Newsroom SouthEast!
AN
Andrew Founding member
I wasn’t even aware we were getting a briefing at the weekend
IS
Inspector Sands
I wasn’t even aware we were getting a briefing at the weekend

It's a 'Daily Briefing' why wouldn't we?
IS
Inspector Sands

They would have take back the Oxford area from South Today as well to recreate the old Newsroom SouthEast!

They can still give it it's proper name: 'F*%k Off Kent' Laughing
what and Night Thoughts gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Yes, unless the stock markets are closed they'll keep them to 5pm. Is a pain though running a business - was impossible making a decision yesterday knowing something was coming and now we have the headline there is actually very little detail and we're being asked to hold out until that comes through. Small businesses can't wait.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Here is the simulcasted open and close. I have no idea why the text was messed up at the beginning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnqI9soim1o

In some ways our countries are quite similar, in other ways they are not. The intro to that special report shows just how differently our news broadcasters treat such events. Of course, there is a lot of urgency about breaking news in both our countries but that's a "reality show" style intro, with crazy zoom effects, and dramatic soundbites over a tense 'fear music' bed. I know that's how it goes over there, but I do prefer our presentation style at such times.

Even over here, I find the hugely blown-up virus particles that feature on so many graphics a bit much, designed to scare.
Last edited by scottishtv on 21 March 2020 5:12pm
RK
Rkolsen
Here is the simulcasted open and close. I have no idea why the text was messed up at the beginning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnqI9soim1o

In some ways our countries are quite similar, in other ways they are not. The intro to that special report shows just how differently our news broadcasters treat such events. Of course, there is a lot of urgency about breaking news in both our countries but that's a "reality show" style intro, with crazy zoom effects, and dramatic soundbites over a tense 'fear music' bed. I know that's how it goes over there, but I do prefer our presentation style at such times.

Even over here, I find the hugely blown-up virus particles that feature on so many graphics a bit much, designed to scare.

ABC did two specials not as long open but equally as dramatic:

NL
Ne1L C
I have to agree with News96. Like many people I suffer from mental health issues and and am genuinely worried. (I can't say I'm scared as such because I regard myself as a reasonably intelligent person who has reacted accordingly with the government's restrictions). Its the increasingly high level of arseholery that has become prevalent not just here but on social media as a whole.

The broadcasting organisations like the rest of the UK have had to adapt very rapidly to an unprecedented situation and have done so with commendable skill.

The UK Television companies are not like their US counterparts by which I mean they (FOX etc) treat every single story with hyperbole and dramatic music.

If and I must emphasise if a state of disaster was declared then the BBC, ITV and Sky would respond accordingly and with rational, measured actions.

I draw your attention to this video from the Oddity Archive to show the comparison the UK and US over breaking news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQSxVsdY78

So I say to all of us:

Keep calm and carry on

To the harbingers of doom

Pack the **** in!
JamesWorldNews and Rkolsen gave kudos

Newer posts