Media Websites

TV Home - Automated recordings of BBC idents

AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
The AI is clearly having some issues with the new BBC Two christmas ident, detecting it as celebratory instead.

Yep, I hadn't uploaded Festive to the system so it went for the closest one it could find (over a certain threshold). Hopefully should be accurate going forwards now.

56 days later

JO
Josh
I see there's been updates to the site and that ITV isn't being identified now. Is there a reason for this?
Fan of the media industry, from the UK.
BA
Bail Moderator Meridian (South) South Today
I still marvel at how amazingly clever this whole thing is...
AS
Josh posted:
Is there a reason for this?

Laziness. I got a bit fed up setting up the identifications for each week when the site is meant to be a fire-and-forget. Although if they're mostly repeats these days then it shouldn't be difficult to just pick which week it was each Monday (it loops around each video up to five times for that week's theme. I wouldn't be able to get it to do 5x52 weeks)

52 days later

TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I hope the continuity around the coronavirus programming is being kept and stored somewhere.

I doubt TV will see something like this again.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
I hope the continuity around the coronavirus programming is being kept and stored somewhere.

Why would it need to be kept and stored? What's so special about it? An announcer saying "In a change to the advertised schedule Pointless will now be on BBC Two at 5:15. Here on One, we join a BBC News special" isn't particularly noteworthy in itself. That's been done many times before both for planned and unplanned events.

Or have I misunderstood?
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Why would it need to be kept and stored? What's so special about it? An announcer saying "In a change to the advertised schedule Pointless will now be on BBC Two at 5:15. Here on One, we join a BBC News special" isn't particularly noteworthy in itself. That's been done many times before both for planned and unplanned events.

Or have I misunderstood?

No, the newsflashes themselves are not particularly noteworthy themselves (although when was the last time they were daily?)

I mainly meant around the new programming, like Health Check UK Live. Or the now rationed episodes of EastEnders.

Watching the continuity around events like Dianas death, 9/11, Queen Mother, 7/7 and the ripple effects afterwards gives us a sense into the mood of the nation at that time.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
But those programmes themselves are recorded and archived anyway. The surrounding parts won't be anything special beyond "in a change to the listings in some magazines, EastEnders is back on Monday, so now we've time for some Would I Lie To You", surely?

To be honest I think the mood of the nation is summed up more perfectly in the pictures of people driving half a warehouse full of toilet roll home rather than whichever Oneness ident was on air when an episode of EastEnders was replaced by Lee Mack.

33 days later

WH
what West Country (East) Points West
For some reason, since those Kids Create idents were introduced, there's been large gaps in terms of junction recordings for ITV. I'm not sure why this is, maybe there's something that TV Home relies on that's missing in the playout data for the new idents? Could it be playout changes due to COVID-19?
AW
Andrew Wood Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
All the junctions for the last two days are there, but some are missing the idents.
AS
Some junctions are deliberately not uploaded like Lorraine, This Morning, CITV at weekends, most regional news because I know there’s no ident. Although weirdly it has started uploading some of them, think that might be a clock change issue.

ITV junctions are a bit of a pain as they’re rarely as accurate as the BBC. They often flag up towards the end of an ad or part way through a trailer (the lunchtime news is regularly late for some reason) so to try and mitigate it I look for a few things:

A patch of grey on the standard trail endboard
A ‘scene’ of exactly 1.5s which I take to be the breakbumper
The exact 1s of black before the programme

In the ideal scenario you’ll see the end flip animation of the trail text up to a second into the programme.

It all goes very ropey overnight as they don’t do the cut to black, presumably because they don’t need to give STV a clean feed. And any non-standard trails/ITV2/ITV Hub etc will often throw it out.

It would be interesting to know why they (Ericsson?) can’t be as accurate as the Beeb/Red Bee. If it was just consistently wrong that would be enough!
Andrew Wood and what gave kudos
MM
MMcG198 UTV Newsline
Asa posted:
It would be interesting to know why they (Ericsson?) can’t be as accurate as the Beeb/Red Bee. If it was just consistently wrong that would be enough!

Maybe they just like to try and catch out your automation, in much the same way that I believe LNN tried (and succeeded) to catch out UTV's early nighttime ads automation back in the day, by not sending out the relevant pulses.

Newer posts