TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I doubt they'd go that old but may reair some more modern classics, but suspect the companion shows are more likely to crop up.
DA
davidhorman
Jez posted:

I do realise that as the episodes have been written and filmed as 6 per week it is not going to have any effect whatsoever on the quality of the show.

Aren't the cliffhangers going to be a bit weird? The first episode of an evening is usually written with a near-immediate continuation in mind, often continuing the same scene, whereas the second episode's ending is more like your normal soap cliffhanger.

I wonder if they'll edit in some recaps.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jez posted:

I do realise that as the episodes have been written and filmed as 6 per week it is not going to have any effect whatsoever on the quality of the show.

Aren't the cliffhangers going to be a bit weird? The first episode of an evening is usually written with a near-immediate continuation in mind, often continuing the same scene, whereas the second episode's ending is more like your normal soap cliffhanger.

If you think that’s weird just wait until Easter, when they celebrate it 2 weeks late!
DA
davidhorman

If you think that’s weird just wait until Easter, when they celebrate it 2 weeks late!

It's not like anyone will have the Easter decorations up. There'll probably only be one scene of kids running around a garden that they can easily cut.
BR
Brekkie
Jez posted:

Easter falls at the weekend. I don't think Weatherfield has had a weekend since it lost the Sunday episode.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Easter falls at the weekend. I don't think Weatherfield has had a weekend since it lost the Sunday episode.

There would be a mention on the Monday of it being a bank holiday weekend.

They’ll be flogging Easter eggs in the Kabin window after Easter.

I know it’s not a big deal, it’s only a light hearted observation.
JE
Jez Founding member
It will be a little strange having cliffhangers all over the place but at least by reducing by half the amount every other Friday it should end with what would have been the 2nd Friday episode. Emmerdale will be more all over the place reducing by one episode.

At the end of the day given the current situation does it really matter if Easter is 2 weeks late on screen. In Canada for example they are a few weeks behind. Easter will barely be mentioned anyway most likely, they might mention its a Bank Holiday in one of the episodes meant for Good Friday. I think we have bigger things to worry about to be honest.
ST
Stuart

Easter holidays are Good Friday and Easter Monday. They are weekdays. 'Easter Day' (the Sunday) is treated no differently in legislative terms than any other Sunday, unless Christmas Day falls on a Sunday.

Good Friday is the only holiday in the year treated the same as Christmas Day, but Easter Monday as just another bank holiday.

Please forgive my pedantry. Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
Everyone always remembers those classic Easter episodes. Rolling Eyes
DA
davidhorman
I wonder if there might be a possibility of some cuts. The second episode usually seems to have more of the "scenes that some viewers may find distressing", what with it being closer to 9pm. There was a recent 20:30 episode of Eastenders that got pretty dark and might have drawn more complaints if it had been shown at 19:30.
SP
Spencer
Sadly I suspect they'll look to make up the episodes later in the year.

I’d be surprised if that happened. If production is slowing/stopping they’re not going to build up a big surplus of episodes to show.

If anything, once production returns to normal, they’ll still need to show fewer episodes than usual to build back up to their 6-8 week advance shooting schedule.
JE
Jez Founding member
Sadly I suspect they'll look to make up the episodes later in the year.

I’d be surprised if that happened. If production is slowing/stopping they’re not going to build up a big surplus of episodes to show.

If anything, once production returns to normal, they’ll still need to show fewer episodes than usual to build back up to their 6-8 week advance shooting schedule.

Exactly. The reason for cutting the episodes is because if they reduce or close production they are not going to have the time to film enough episodes to build back up to the usual quota.

Newer posts