The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Ipdtl seem to be doing good business for those without an ISDN line at home, Iain Lee is using it for example.

I think Julia HB is using Comrex hardware.

I wonder whether the BBC are working on a way to control ViLoR from a laptop so you don't need somebody in the studio?
MA
Markymark
Ipdtl seem to be doing good business for those without an ISDN line at home, Iain Lee is using it for example.

I wonder whether the BBC are working on a way to control ViLoR from a laptop so you don't need somebody in the studio?

Perhaps. The biggest issue there will be security I suspect
IS
Inspector Sands

That is one potential of the system, though how practical it would be to have a presenter drive and present from home I don't know
FO
FOX35
Had to turn Mark Austin off last night, almost becoming as bad as Adam Boulton, but not quite there yet, with his presenting skills. He appears uncomforatble, and for us watching too, when standing in front of the big screen nervously holding onto his rolled up script and also always looking at the overhead and side monitors then looks startled when he the camera comes back on him.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 4:31pm
AJ
AJ
What the heck are Sky News playing at during this lunchtime's rather sombre and sparsely attended Prime Ministers Question Time? As MP's are standing up to ask questions we are getting information about them boldly presented on the right of the screen including what percentage of their constituents voted to remain/leave in the EU referendum in highlighted bright yellow or dark blue. WHY? How utterly inappropriate at this time and of no value anymore now we have moved on from last year. What is going on here? Truly incredible.

Someone has taken leave of common sense here. Mad

That's the standard template they always use for PMQs. Agreed that Brexit isn't as relevant right now, but still important for people to know who's who, what party they're a part of and who they represent. There's few people who know who everyone is in the Commons.
RK
Rkolsen

Do these presenters typically have ISDN lines or were they setup? If they were setup would it be reasonable to ask the BBC to pay for them as it’s used for work?
MA
Markymark

Do these presenters typically have ISDN lines or were they setup? If they were setup would it be reasonable to ask the BBC to pay for them as it’s used for work?

I think key presenters and reporters have had ISDN lines for a long time. Andrew Giligan's fatefull 2003 report on R4's Today was made via ISDN I recall.

However, I suspect many are/will be connecting via their domestic DSL Internet connections these days. I think BT cease new ISDN installs very soon?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The two examples I quoted are both VOIP solutions, although I gather ipdtl has a Skype-out some feature for connecting to ISDN at the other end.
RK
Rkolsen

I think key presenters and reporters have had ISDN lines for a long time. Andrew Giligan's fatefull 2003 report on R4's Today was made via ISDN I recall.

However, I suspect many are/will be connecting via their domestic DSL Internet connections these days. I think BT cease new ISDN installs very soon?

I forget how is an ISDN Line any different from a DSL and a generic phone line. DSL is a relic here in most of the US, my family had it from like 97–2001 before switching to Cable. All I remember is that for DSL we had to add filters on every phone jack and connected the phone line to an external modem.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I forget how is an ISDN Line any different from a DSL and a generic phone line. DSL is a relic here in most of the US, my family had it from like 97–2001 before switching to Cable. All I remember is that for DSL we had to add filters on every phone jack and connected the phone line to an external modem.

VDSL is still pretty common in the UK - cable is by no means universal.
I found a couple of dozen microfilters in my garage today. I think they've been breeding.
DO
dosxuk
I'm still on ADSL in my city centre apartment. Cable is pretty much limited to cities and larger towns, with huge swathes of the country unable to get it, including large parts of those cities and towns.

Should be getting a non-BT Openreach provided FTTP connection soon though 🤞

Newer posts