TV Home Forum

Coronavirus | Schedule Changes

(March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Asa Admin
Tonight's Holby City dropped to accommodate an extended Six O'Clock News and One Show, EastEnders moved up to 8pm and Would I Lie to You filling the gap.

Harsh on Holby who bothered to do a topical insert for tonight https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-51913871/how-is-holby-city-reacting-to-coronavirus (an interesting vid also covering EastEnders' previous last minute additions)
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Presumably 'continuing drama' series such as Doctors, Eastenders, and Casualty might be taken off air, especially if filming has to stop.
Although Casualty remains hugely popular on Saturday nights and often has far-fetched soap-style storylines, it would be an unusual watch if it just went on as normal to portray a hospital emergency department "in normal times". Presumably it will be almost impossible to make changes to storylines to even vaguely reflect real-life, so maybe they will just have to give up. Alternatively, some people might see it as escapism...!
BR
Brekkie
I never understand the appeal of hospital documentaries and dramas. My mum spent two days catching up on them after two weeks in hospital.

Need to get the programme licensing crews busy for whole series Strictly reruns etc. and indeed a return to peak movies wouldn’t go amiss. I’d hope some imagination will be used.

Agree - replacement scheduling on the BBC especially is so unimaginative often with little regard for the audience of the originally scheduled show. TV stations are always supposedly after the male viewer - now is an opportunity like never before.
TI
TIGHazard
Need to get the programme licensing crews busy for whole series Strictly reruns etc. and indeed a return to peak movies wouldn’t go amiss. I’d hope some imagination will be used.

The entirety of the last series of Strictly is on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006m8dq/strictly-come-dancing

So maybe they've already got the rights to do this?
VM
VMPhil
Good news for broadcasters!

MA
mapperuo
Apparently we dont have sex in Scotland. Sad
BK
bkman1990
Broadcasters who record soaps & medical dramas around the world will have a huge challenge now in how they accommodate new story-lines or scripts that include Coronavirus as a major part of their stories. If fans who follow these shows are getting more messages that this virus is a extremely dangerous one. How will they approach a strategy like this if they continue to keep fans glued to the screens as the virus is over. At a time when this virus has currently made the internet become an online 'info-demic'. Consuming too much information on this subject, at a constant pace whether truthful or not, is not good for people's health. It feels like soap & medical drama fans will get fed-up with the story when more exposure is catered to the virus when it is seen through a fictional show.

I know that this is an essential time to keep people around us to be safe & well.

But I think that the way in this information should be fed to the shows producers right now is that it should be done at the right time whenever the hysteria of the virus has begun to die down. Lots of people in our world can find this virus to be a profound fascination. Others would find it to be a complete hindrance to their lives & it's completely OK to say that. What I'm saying is that there needs to be a perfect balance to be struck in this context when we a society are dealing with the impacts of this dangerous illness.

We're in a heightened period in our lives that people could become more depressed later on when they experience their own lives to be changed instantly when it's because of extraordinary circumstances. What do people here think of this reality being portrayed for these shows & other programmes we take for granted. Sifting through all of the information related to this virus may prove valuable for us when future generations crop up within the next few centuries. However; do you think people would fail in their duty to highlight it later on?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Asa posted:
Tonight's Holby City dropped to accommodate an extended Six O'Clock News and One Show, EastEnders moved up to 8pm and Would I Lie to You filling the gap.

Harsh on Holby who bothered to do a topical insert for tonight https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-51913871/how-is-holby-city-reacting-to-coronavirus (an interesting vid also covering EastEnders' previous last minute additions)

The main issue with a last minute addition is that the section is then at odds with the rest of the episode. They’ll mention Coronavirus in a scene and then have a mass gathering down the Rovers. They’ll do a business deal at Underworld and seal the deal with a handshake, Then a character will say they are going on a last minute holiday abroad but only after Ken announces a trip to the theatre.

And the problem with including something properly storylined is that the virus is moving so fast it could be significantly out of date by the time it airs.
IS
Inspector Sands
Apparently we dont have sex in Scotland. Sad

Nor do Conservative or Labour voters

It will be interesting to see the baby boom at the beginning of 2021
DO
dosxuk
Leavers are all getting the sack too
KE
kernow
Leavers are all getting the sack too

As well as Tories, London and the South
DV
DVB Cornwall
Just had a look at the BR (German) player, they've loaded up a hell of a lot of educational titles, which seem to be the equivalent of Schools Television, some of which are incredibly dated, also in 4:3 which have, I suspect not seen the light of day since the 1980's. I wonder what's still lurking in the BBC/ITV Schools Archives which might be uploaded here in the coming days.

Newer posts