The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GI
ginnyfan
What's up with the schedule tonight. No Hala or Quest, Paula Newton was tossing from one news conference to another. Now it's Isa with CNN Newsroom, no YWT so far.... Is everyone self-isolating?
Last edited by ginnyfan on 16 March 2020 10:07pm
BF
BFGArmy
Think CNN are going with a ‘back to basics’ schedule approach - Isa’s slot at the moment as you say has CNN Newsroom branding rather than the Your World Today branding.
NZ
nznewser
Richard Quest was reporting from what I'm assuming was his NY home during The Lead today, and Max Foster tweeted he was reporting from home.

It's unprecedented times, but from what I have seen of CNNI's coverage today, it has been very good and a step up from what we've seen previously. Isa doing a good job with CNN Newsroom, far more comprehensive and concise compared to what CNNUS has been providing.
BF
BFGArmy
Cyril now presenting the next hour again with CNN Newsroom branding.
I wonder if with the outbreak CNN have cut back on double-anchored bulletins at least for now. Normally you’d have both Cyril and Isa on together
WW
WW Update
Cyril now presenting the next hour again with CNN Newsroom branding.
I wonder if with the outbreak CNN have cut back on double-anchored bulletins at least for now. Normally you’d have both Cyril and Isa on together

Not sure about CNN, but with social distancing recommendations in place, many local stations have switched to single-anchoring or having two anchors sit far apart from each other.
BF
BFGArmy
Indeed sounds like CNNI are going down the single-anchoring route temporarily

https://www.instagram.com/p/B90ABkilkF4/?igshid=9idrmlxgne7p
WW
WW Update
Not from CNN, but here's an example of two co-anchors appearing via split screen (even though they are in the same studio) to comply with the distancing guidelines:

NZ
nznewser
Indeed sounds like CNNI are going down the single-anchoring route temporarily

https://www.instagram.com/p/B90ABkilkF4/?igshid=9idrmlxgne7p

While single anchoring in the way they did would be difficult, I thought the last few hours of CNNI have been very good and hope to see it become a template for their coverage of the pandemic over the days/weeks ahead.
GL
glondon
^^^They did that a lot during the years of Arab Spring coverage and many other big international breaking news stories in 2011,2012 etc . We even had anchors together on the ground, like Hala and Anderson in Cairo. At times, they would even let CNNI anchors present on CNN US on their own. Hard to imagine that in the CNN Trump era.

Good to see the Hong Kong studio in use for CNN Newsroom (9am-11am GMT) today. Anna Coren is a very good news anchor.

She's currently doing a two-way with Al Goodman who's in Madrid. He was labelled on screen as "Al Goodman - Journalist".

Is he no longer a CNN staffer?

Agree with your comments re Ana. She's a very good presenter.

He has a profile page on the CNN website. https://edition.cnn.com/profiles/al-goodman-profile#about, but yes the on-screen label makes it sound like he's no longer with CNN. Could have been an error.

He left a good few years ago, no? I seem to remember reading it on a CNN blog that has since gone offline.
BF
BFGArmy
I notice CNNI have a simulcast of the US votes tonight in place of the usual YWT slot.
Even if the simulcast does end up covering coronavirus, surely surely that simulcast needs dropped?! Coronavirus is a global story and understandably CNNUS will focus mainly on America.
NZ
nznewser
I notice CNNI have a simulcast of the US votes tonight in place of the usual YWT slot.
Even if the simulcast does end up covering coronavirus, surely surely that simulcast needs dropped?! Coronavirus is a global story and understandably CNNUS will focus mainly on America.

Totally agree. The US election is surely a low priority now compared to Covid-19. I see Hala Gorani Tonight is being swapped out for CNNUS and they didn't cover Boris Johnson's announcements during her hour.
BF
BFGArmy
At least it’s the excellent Briana Keilar who’s on CNNUS .
Also, the Cuomo promo advert on CNN is one of the most overdramatic ones in CNN history - so overblown.

Newer posts