TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1989 now on BBC Four

NE
News96 Look North (Yorkshire)
Seems we are getting 1991 early next year since filming is underway for The Story of 1991-this also more or less confrims that 1990 will be going ahead in the 2nd half of this year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9W6it2Asyx/?igshid=15ta3npdi8mk8
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
I wouldn’t have thought an exact airdate like the one in the post (8th Jan 2021) would be confirmed this far in advance? Certainly interesting to know how early they record the documentaries though, I’ve always wondered about that.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Jennie Powell posted pictures of her doing her interview for the Story of 1989 a matter of days after the Story of 88 had gone out, so they clearly did that well in advance. Looks like this is even further in advance, recording for the Story of 1991 a good 4 months before the 1990 one even airs.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
The BBC website listing the 1/6/89 edition showing on the 27th March. That's the edition which went out without the original graphics when UK Gold repeated it in the 90s, will be interesting to see if it's the same this time round, or if they've found a copy of the episode with them.
RI
Richard Granada North West Today
Colm posted:
Atrocious mic levels on that edition of TOTP just now - I could barely hear most of Bruno's links.

How could this sound issue have carried on for such a length of time without any seeming intervention? Did anyone ever mention it on "Points of View" or in the Radio Times (or other publications which were available) at the time?

The sound was odd. There was audience cheering over most of the opening titles too.
RI
Richard Granada North West Today
Colm posted:
Atrocious mic levels on that edition of TOTP just now - I could barely hear most of Bruno's links.

How could this sound issue have carried on for such a length of time without any seeming intervention? Did anyone ever mention it on "Points of View" or in the Radio Times (or other publications which were available) at the time?

Not in Radio Times - the only mention of TOTP in RT's letters pages around this time was a complaint a few weeks earlier regarding the cutting short of songs, in particular the Roy Orbison video. I think the cutting short has since become a bit less severe, for example the Donna Summer video last week was shown more or less in full.

I remember complaints somewhere about Madonna’s Like a Prayer video. I think it might’ve been on Open Air or Right To Reply because they contrasted TOTP with the ITV Chart show because the BBC didn’t show the statue coming to life whilst ITV did.

Just watched the video on YouTube for the first time and i realise now how much the BBC really butchered it.
RT
Rich Tea Anglia (West) Look East
I WANTED IT ALL!

Queen's comeback hit single, I Want It All, their first in nearly 3 years and the highest new entry smashing in high at No3 and yet it was treated diabolically by being cut dead less than halfway through. The calibre of the group, the impressive debut chart position and the fact they'd been away from the charts for a while surely demanded far more respect for this track and it amazes me that TOTP producers showed it so little. Not seen again as it then fell, despite Bruno reckoning it a possible chart topper the next week. Yet everyone that week knew full well that next week would be the Hillsborough Gerry Marsden/Paul McCartney charity track on top so who was he kidding.

Seeing Stefan Dennis video play out with his jumping on the Kylie and Jason bandwagon single just makes me thankful that he didn't also soar to the heights of singles sales they did or by the end of '89 I'm convinced we'd have had Mrs Mangel (Vivean Gray) popping up with something on TOTP too.
NT
NorthTonight STV North Reporting Scotland
I WANTED IT ALL!

Queen's comeback hit single, I Want It All, their first in nearly 3 years and the highest new entry smashing in high at No3 and yet it was treated diabolically by being cut dead less than halfway through. The calibre of the group, the impressive debut chart position and the fact they'd been away from the charts for a while surely demanded far more respect for this track and it amazes me that TOTP producers showed it so little. Not seen again as it then fell, despite Bruno reckoning it a possible chart topper the next week. Yet everyone that week knew full well that next week would be the Hillsborough Gerry Marsden/Paul McCartney charity track on top so who was he kidding.

Seeing Stefan Dennis video play out with his jumping on the Kylie and Jason bandwagon single just makes me thankful that he didn't also soar to the heights of singles sales they did or by the end of '89 I'm convinced we'd have had Mrs Mangel (Vivean Gray) popping up with something on TOTP too.

Totally agree with your comment on the Queen song.

As for Stefan Dennis would have preferred his one hit to anything by Craig MacLachlan ( Henry )! 😆
LL
Lottie Long Legs (previously Skytower) West Country (West) Spotlight
I WANTED IT ALL!

Penalty for not appearing in the studio, I guess. Harsh, but perhaps fair.
CO
Colm (previously Col) Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
tbf, in hindsight, we know why Queen's public appearances had become less and less by this stage...

The chart run of "I Want It All" foreshadows the state of the singles chart in the 1990s - pre-release airplay and marketing hype leading to a high new entry in the week of release as all the fans buy their copies, followed by a quick descent in subsequent weeks.

Which we won't see truly reflected to an extent on TOTP until we get to the Chris Cowey era in 1997 - songs being featured when they're falling down the chart etc.
BU
buster London London
So this popped up in my recommended vids on YouTube, presumably as they've noticed I watched a lot of TOTP, hopefully not because it thinks I like "The Fizz":

Not a bad nod to early 80s TOTP - some clear attention to detail on the graphics.
BE
benriggers Meridian (South) Oxford

Another one has now cropped up (I think it's the same one listed as before but now more expensive). But there's more details about the eps on back of the tapes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Of-The-Pops-The-80s-VHS-RARE/333549455634?hash=item4da918c912%3Ag%3AcK0AAOSw4HFecRz%7E&LH_BIN=1
"They don't want your name, just your number"

Newer posts