The Gallery

BBC branding 2020 - 'Lowercase'

Quick 1 hour rebrand for BBC channels bringing them all in-line with the lowercase 'BBC one'. (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
brioalex
Thanks so much for all the great feedback guys!! Glad you all think they have potential. I've spent an hour or so in Keynote this afternoon playing with movement for the Cbeebies identity. It's a little rough but then Keynote does have its limitations. I need to learn After Effects more I think.

BI
bitxoin
The BBC Four branding in particular looks very good! And I like that you've incorporated the three bars from the Three logo into yours, but I'm not sure the typeface best shows this with its curves.

It might show up more using something like this, but with the 'h' and 'r' separated, obviously. It's still more informal than One or Two for example, but with some straight edges too.

https://theident.gallery/menu_channel_bbcthree_subsection_2008.php
BR
brioalex
The BBC Four branding in particular looks very good! And I like that you've incorporated the three bars from the Three logo into yours, but I'm not sure the typeface best shows this with its curves.

It might show up more using something like this, but with the 'h' and 'r' separated, obviously. It's still more informal than One or Two for example, but with some straight edges too.

https://theident.gallery/menu_channel_bbcthree_subsection_2008.php

Thanks for the feedback 😊 I agree, the rounded typeface I used for BBC Three was a slightly riskier choice for fitting in with the 3 bars! I loved that BBC three logo from back in 2008!!
TV
TVVT
I really love it! My particular fav would be the CBeebies one, and would give the channel a much needed refresh, the exsisting logo has been around for 18 years!
brioalex and DeMarkay gave kudos
AG
AxG
I'd also like to say that the CBeebies logo looks great, although I'd suggest maybe different colouring for the second and third 'e' and 'b'.
bkman1990, brioalex and DeMarkay gave kudos
:-(
A former member
These are very good, well done.

Only one I’m not too keen on is News. Just like with Sky News, I just don’t think lower case looks serious enough.
bkman1990, brioalex and DeMarkay gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
BBC3 looks interesting, CBeebies possibly though think it needs tidying up a bit - vid is good though.
BR
brioalex
TVVT posted:
I really love it! My particular fav would be the CBeebies one, and would give the channel a much needed refresh, the exsisting logo has been around for 18 years!

Totally agree with you, CBeebies is definitely in need of a new look after 18 years!

These are very good, well done.

Only one I’m not too keen on is News. Just like with Sky News, I just don’t think lower case looks serious enough.

Thanks for your feedback! Yeah I’m with you on that I think. I had to keep with the lowercase theme but I think uppercase for news is probably best.
LG
Looking Glass
Long time visitor, first time commenter.

I really love what you’ve done with this! I have begun to wane on the BBC One presentation lately, I enjoy the logo but I think it could be brought into a more contemporary setting and I would love to see you explore that aspect as otherwise the logo you’ve continued with is fine.

I know you’ve put some pulses and textures in the background, the BBC Two one is a little too simplistic for me, however the actual logo is exactly what I thought we would get years ago when they revamped BBC One. I think replacing the existing logo with this and using their current wave presentation would look really good.

Three I prefer your second attempt, I can imagine the outline as an animation and the logo filling up but it does look better on your re-design. I’m a big fan of the current II! but I like that you’ve incorporated the ! Into this and I still think that as a shorthand version of the logo you could still do something similar. I don’t mind the curved edges too much as you can see the origin of the typeface with the other logos.

To echo what everyone else has said, Four is amazing and it’s so overdue a new look. I think this would really help bring Four to life in a way that can be high-brow and artistic without feeling stuffy and dated. Again, you can see the origin of the typeface so I don’t mind that it strays from the others.

Cbeebies is another one that is way overdue and I like what you’ve done however unlike the other designs, it worked better in your first attempt where’s it was stacked. The BBC logo on the left works on the others because it reads “BBC One” etc, however this reads “BBC Cbeebies” and it’s you done the same for CBBC it would be “BBC CBBC” which doesn’t work. I think that would work as you had previously done it as Cbeebies works as it’s own brand without having to have the BBC logo so prominently featured.

I can see why others dislike the lowercase News but I quite like it. A suggestion would be making making it bold, I think having it lowercase in its current state makes it looks quite casual - making it bold may not make it better but it could bring it more in line with the others and thus further the consistency. Sport, again I don’t mind it being italic, I would also be curious to see it more in line with One, Two just to see if it can come to life with the visuals of the presentation rather than the typeface.

Would also be interested to see how you would do Parliament and Weather. However this is really good work, I signed up and came out of silence to tell you pretty much that. I would love to see this evolve further!
BR
brioalex
Long time visitor, first time commenter.

I really love what you’ve done with this! I have begun to wane on the BBC One presentation lately, I enjoy the logo but I think it could be brought into a more contemporary setting and I would love to see you explore that aspect as otherwise the logo you’ve continued with is fine.

I know you’ve put some pulses and textures in the background, the BBC Two one is a little too simplistic for me, however the actual logo is exactly what I thought we would get years ago when they revamped BBC One. I think replacing the existing logo with this and using their current wave presentation would look really good.

Three I prefer your second attempt, I can imagine the outline as an animation and the logo filling up but it does look better on your re-design. I’m a big fan of the current II! but I like that you’ve incorporated the ! Into this and I still think that as a shorthand version of the logo you could still do something similar. I don’t mind the curved edges too much as you can see the origin of the typeface with the other logos.

To echo what everyone else has said, Four is amazing and it’s so overdue a new look. I think this would really help bring Four to life in a way that can be high-brow and artistic without feeling stuffy and dated. Again, you can see the origin of the typeface so I don’t mind that it strays from the others.

Cbeebies is another one that is way overdue and I like what you’ve done however unlike the other designs, it worked better in your first attempt where’s it was stacked. The BBC logo on the left works on the others because it reads “BBC One” etc, however this reads “BBC Cbeebies” and it’s you done the same for CBBC it would be “BBC CBBC” which doesn’t work. I think that would work as you had previously done it as Cbeebies works as it’s own brand without having to have the BBC logo so prominently featured.

I can see why others dislike the lowercase News but I quite like it. A suggestion would be making making it bold, I think having it lowercase in its current state makes it looks quite casual - making it bold may not make it better but it could bring it more in line with the others and thus further the consistency. Sport, again I don’t mind it being italic, I would also be curious to see it more in line with One, Two just to see if it can come to life with the visuals of the presentation rather than the typeface.

Would also be interested to see how you would do Parliament and Weather. However this is really good work, I signed up and came out of silence to tell you pretty much that. I would love to see this evolve further!

Wow, thanks so much for your amazing and extensive feedback! Really appreciate the fact you've signed up just to tell me all of that 😊 I'm going to try and explore the identities again further soon so watch this space!
DM
DeMarkay
I tried my hand at rebranding CBeebies a few months ago, your execution is far superior to mine. I love the colours and new identity.

All of the other designs are amazing. Fantastic work.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Terrific work. Some very very inventive stuff here, a good example being the subtle but lovely background on the BBC Four slide. Love the colours on CBeebies, too. Nothing mental, just the right balance.

You've clearly put a hell of a lot of time and effort into this and it shows.

All I can give you in the way of constructive criticism is that it would be great to see more surrounding presentation, ECPs, endboards etc.

Keep up the good work!

Newer posts