TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:
BBC archive have shows such as One Foot in the Grave, The Brittas Empire, Only Fools and Horses, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served?, Grace and Favour, So Haunt Me, Steptoe and Son, You Rang M'lord, Keeping Up Appearances, Allo allo, Waiting for God, To the Manor Born, Chef!, Hancock's Half Hour, Blackadder - but they never repeat them on BBC 1 or BBC 2 now, and rely on Mrs Brown and Dad's Army too much.

There is a reason they don’t repeat them, they’re ancient!

That's no reason not to repeat them.

If they still stand up well in 2020 and don't take too much work/cost to get them on air then why not? Comforting, familiar, entertainment will be what is needed is this situation goes on for a while

I suspect broadcasters have enough programmes either in the can or from the last few years to cover any potential gaps. Anything not in HD or widescreen isn’t likely to make the cut.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Jonwo posted:
BBC archive have shows such as One Foot in the Grave, The Brittas Empire, Only Fools and Horses, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served?, Grace and Favour, So Haunt Me, Steptoe and Son, You Rang M'lord, Keeping Up Appearances, Allo allo, Waiting for God, To the Manor Born, Chef!, Hancock's Half Hour, Blackadder - but they never repeat them on BBC 1 or BBC 2 now, and rely on Mrs Brown and Dad's Army too much.

That hasn't stopped Dad's Army being repeated on Saturday evenings on BBC Two.
BR
Brekkie
I was watching BBC1 and just had a thought - what about Songs of Praise? The singing bits are quite major and quite a few of the singers are elderly so I wonder what’ll happen with that.

Songs of Praise is recorded months in advance. Remember they recorded the Easter programme alongside their Christmas programme back in 2006

14 years in advance really is being prepared. Laughing
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

That hasn't stopped Dad's Army being repeated on Saturday evenings on BBC Two.

DON'T PANIC!!!
IS
Inspector Sands
Jonwo posted:

I suspect broadcasters have enough programmes either in the can or from the last few years to cover any potential gaps. Anything not in HD or widescreen isn’t likely to make the cut.

That might well be the case in ITV but the BBC aren't so worried about such things.

There are some modern classics but what's more comforting in a crisis - Del Boy or Fleabag?

Mind you a series like The Goes Wrong Show is ideal for a time when families are stuck inside, however BBC1's other big mainstream comedy hit of the last year, Ghosts with its cellar full of plague victims might not be as appropriate!
JK
JKDerry
ITV have sold a lot of their sitcoms to channels such as Forces TV, Talking Pictures TV etc - so they might have a bit of issue also airing them on ITV
BR
Brekkie
ITV will rely on their detective dramas if needs be - fill two hours at a time and very repeatable. Other than that they've got plenty of fairly recent dramas and documentary strands to fill the airtime first if needs be.

If they dug any archive programme out Mr Bean would be the obvious choice - just 30 minutes of pure joy and in regular repeat runs on ITV4, so not an issue to air on ITV.
:-(
A former member
Wouldn’t be surprised to see some changes to schedules in the instance of a significant amount of people self isolating. Dramas stripped over a week, more films in the evenings etc. I don’t think more news is required - more entertainment if anything.
JC
JCB
The elephant in the room here is BritBox. Just as that launches the BBC and ITV could need all that content for themselves. Talk about unfortunate timing.
JO
Jonwo
Wouldn’t be surprised to see some changes to schedules in the instance of a significant amount of people self isolating. Dramas stripped over a week, more films in the evenings etc. I don’t think more news is required - more entertainment if anything.

I would imagine any drama earmarked for stripping might be scheduled weekly instead.

ITV will rely on their detective dramas if needs be - fill two hours at a time and very repeatable. Other than that they've got plenty of fairly recent dramas and documentary strands to fill the airtime first if needs be.

If they dug any archive programme out Mr Bean would be the obvious choice - just 30 minutes of pure joy and in regular repeat runs on ITV4, so not an issue to air on ITV.

Mr Bean isn't owned by ITV, the rights are with Endemol Shine and I suspect repeat fees are a lot higher on the main ITV channels. You're more likely to get You've Been Framed.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I really can't see the evenings being changed significantly. There could however be a significant uptick in quality and recentness of afternoon content across BBC ONE, BBC TWO and the non PSB ITV channels. I think ITV's PSB afternoons are good to go as it is. If, and perhaps I'm being overly optimistic with that word, cases balloon then I can see that additional information programming will be offered.

Changing the Evening Schedules is something neither broadcaster should contemplate, for the sake if it, as those whose favourite programme has been displaced will have another albeit trivial cause of anxiety, which will balloon out of context, which will need to be avoided.
GE
thegeek Founding member
JCB posted:
The elephant in the room here is BritBox. Just as that launches the BBC and ITV could need all that content for themselves. Talk about unfortunate timing.

Broadcast rights and on-demand rights are often sold separately and non-exclusively - just because they've got it for sale in one place doesn't necessarily mean they can't show it on telly in another.

Newer posts