TV Home Forum

Coronavirus | Schedule Changes

(March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
As this impact is now clearly going to be far more significant than all but one of us though I thought a seperate thread related to schedule changes, which have been discussed across three other threads, might makes sense.

So today after a shortened Football Focus and repeat of MOTDx we've had standard daytime content in the afternoon on BBC1 plus Guardians of the Galaxy and Casualty tonight, and then most controversially Mrs Browns Boys in the Match of the Day slot, a change that didn't go down well and I think a missed opportunity there to showcase something a bit more current and a bit more in keeping with the MOTD audience in the slot, and see if an unexpected rerun in a popular slot can actually boost a show that deserves another chance at a wider audience. Ladhood for me would be a good choice for the 10.30 slot on Saturdays and Sundays for the next 3 weeks.

ITV went with a Bond film and Celeb Catchphrase this afternoon instead of the rugby and I suspect the Bond Films, Harry Potter and Star Wars will all be getting another outing soon, as they usually would.

Sky Sports Main Event has essentially become a simulcast of Sky Sports News, which is essentially the news that there is no sport.

Looking ahead and the BBC are extending their 10pm news again from Monday, while next Saturday was due to be live football from 6.30pm, a new series of All Round to Mrs Brown at 9.15pm and both Premier League and FA Cup editions of MOTD to round off the night. At the moment the BBC haven't updated the schedule.
AN
Andrew Founding member
ITV are showing the film “Star Wars the Force Awakens” a week on Friday in place of the International England football. Will look odd as it also in turn replaces the normal episodes of Corrie.
BA
bilky asko
As this impact is now clearly going to be far more significant than all but one of us though I thought a seperate thread related to schedule changes, which have been discussed across three other threads, might makes sense.

So today after a shortened Football Focus and repeat of MOTDx we've had standard daytime content in the afternoon on BBC1 plus Guardians of the Galaxy and Casualty tonight, and then most controversially Mrs Browns Boys in the Match of the Day slot, a change that didn't go down well and I think a missed opportunity there to showcase something a bit more current and a bit more in keeping with the MOTD audience in the slot, and see if an unexpected rerun in a popular slot can actually boost a show that deserves another chance at a wider audience. Ladhood for me would be a good choice for the 10.30 slot on Saturdays and Sundays for the next 3 weeks.

ITV went with a Bond film and Celeb Catchphrase this afternoon instead of the rugby and I suspect the Bond Films, Harry Potter and Star Wars will all be getting another outing soon, as they usually would.

Sky Sports Main Event has essentially become a simulcast of Sky Sports News, which is essentially the news that there is no sport.

Looking ahead and the BBC are extending their 10pm news again from Monday, while next Saturday was due to be live football from 6.30pm, a new series of All Round to Mrs Brown at 9.15pm and both Premier League and FA Cup editions of MOTD to round off the night. At the moment the BBC haven't updated the schedule.

Harry Potter won't be, that's moved to Sky.
LL
London Lite Founding member

So that's why ITV are back to using Bond as Saturday afternoon filler?
IS
Inspector Sands
This pub has it sorted:

JA
JAS84
Where are they getting that Saint and Greavsie repeat from? I don't think any channel shows that! Laughing
BR
Brekkie
One thing presumably added to the schedule rather than withdrawn is BBC4 are rerunning a documentary from a couple of years ago called Contagion which asked how the country would cope with a repeat of an epidemic like the one a 100 years earlier.
KU
Kunst
This is something I posted in the other thread - I think it belongs more here than there - about the most affected country in Europe, Italy, of course
Kunst posted:
It's trivial to raise these issues given the difficulties we are all facing but it's a TV Forum so I wonder what lockdown would look like for UK TV?

Presumably the live output (ITV daytime for instance) would be cancelled / scaled back. Maybe additional news bulletins in the schedule.

Presumably advertiser's will withdraw from commercial TV if shops/retailers are closed.

Soap episodes may run out & high profile programmes pulled due to lack of advertisers?

Big increase in ratings?

Do we know the impacts on broadcast TV schedules in Italy?

I'm Italian, so I can help

RAI,the Italian public broadcaster, has almost completely altered its schedule. Live shows, except for the news or "interview-based" programmes such as Che tempo che fa (with comedians such as Luciana Littizzetto), the latter becoming now more informative than anything, have been dropped. RAI is now airing only pre-recorded "episodes" of game shows, what they have in store until they won't run out (when they will, they'll just air repeats), especially "L'eredità" and popular "I soliti ignoti" (I soliti ignoti now is only airing repeats where they still had a public).
But when they air them, they decide to show a ticker beneath the DOG with something like "this has been recorded before the ordinance n. etc.", in order not to confuse people
RAI Due especially, has changed a lot of its schedule to have more kids shows in the morning (in addition to RAI Gulp and RAI Yoyo; our CBBC and Cbeebies), in order to entertain the younger ones, like the old times, compared to more newsy RAI Uno.
RAI Tre has more spaces devoted to regional news.
RAI "digital channels" such as cultural RAI5 are even more dedicated to cultural stuff than ever.

Mediaset, the main commercial broadcaster, is going through similar paths, but obviously less "cultural"

La7, the other commercial broadcaster, has even more news than usual

People can only move for working reasons, so even unnecessary interviews are banned

BTW RAI, Mediaset, La7, Discovery ITtalian channels all decide to show a bumper promoting hygienic awareness

Sky Sport 24 (the Italian SSN) is now back on air, but only live for a much more limited time, otherwise, archive stuff. Sky Sport Uno (Sky Sports Main Events), has become quite "patriotic" with the hashtag "forzaitalia" and the Italian flag in addition to the DOG,,showing Football World Cup from 2006, when Italy won

Advertising minutage is "normal" I'd say, but there are some government promotions, notices and stuff, advising people to only go out when necessary. The hashtag #restaacasa (stay at home) is popular and used even by TV channels.
But paying TV stations and more minor channels just don't care

Obviously TV has never been so watched, and TV viewing ish huge, since people are forced to stay at home

I also add: that advertising is now more focused on supermarkets goods
KU
Kunst
I also add some pics

The endboard of a promo about the "RAI offer during Coronavirus' times" and the affected stations:
https://i.imgur.com/pGfC0Us.jpg

What they air before pre-recorded "live" shows (not dramas, obviously):
https://i.imgur.com/JZXUHKO.jpg

The ticker I was talking about
https://i.imgur.com/L7Hhe4y.jpg

Recommendations RAI promo
https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?99408-L-offerta-digitale-RAI&p=6471073&viewfull=1#post6471073

Celebrities that spread the "stay at home" message
https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?99408-L-offerta-digitale-RAI&p=6469978&viewfull=1#post6469978

The Mediaset Coronavirus notice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJN9kvI0vI8 (the creepish music is hated by many, which is even worse as this is very frequently shown lol)

The Discovery Coronavirus notice
https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?193897-L-offerta-digitale-Discovery-Italia&p=6473357&viewfull=1#post6473357
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Looking to Spain, it seems to be business as usual on the main channels. Which probably makes sense to provide entertainment with most of the population in lockdown at home.
JA
james-2001
So that's why ITV are back to using Bond as Saturday afternoon filler?

And Bond had gone to Sky a few years back for a while as well.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member

That'll probably be the case on many channels at the moment. Friday was a frantic and long day for anyone working on channels that include live sport, as soon as it looked like everything was settled, something else would be cancelled and everything would have to be shuffled again (I don't think I've ever received so many versions of the same evening's schedule on the channel I was working on!). So I think in many cases it would've been a case of the schedulers just getting things sorted out up to Monday or Tuesday and then on Monday they'll deal with everything onwards from there.

Newer posts