TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ME
mediaman2007
The Late Late Show walking from their studio through to the Fair City house sets and using them to demostrate best practice for self isolating with Coronavirus was both inspired and excellent public service broadcasting. The Irish seem to be taking this all a LOT more seriously than UK.
JA
james-2001
Ireland has a competent government.
TI
TIGHazard

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

Though if this is true, that's really going to affect filming for everything, isn't it.
GE
thegeek Founding member

Does Ireland even have a government right now?
Charlesy, Stuart and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

Though if this is true, that's really going to affect filming for everything, isn't it.

If that is true that's the least of our worries. I just can't see the country rolling over and accepting this longterm, as much as they might be now. Especially with virtually no Corrie or Emmerdale.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/coronavirus-could-force-emmerdale-corrie-21694522
AN
Andrew Founding member
Which is one of the arguments for not going too soon and getting it exactly right, as after a few weeks people will get bored and start going out again, just at the alleged peak time for the virus.

Also Iā€™m sure tabloids read this forum, as suggestions like the rationing of soaps was discussed here yesterday.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
It's trivial to raise these issues given the difficulties we are all facing but it's a TV Forum so I wonder what lockdown would look like for UK TV?

Presumably the live output (ITV daytime for instance) would be cancelled / scaled back. Maybe additional news bulletins in the schedule.

Presumably advertiser's will withdraw from commercial TV if shops/retailers are closed.

Soap episodes may run out & high profile programmes pulled due to lack of advertisers?

Big increase in ratings?

Do we know the impacts on broadcast TV schedules in Italy?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Can't see advertisers withdrawing, its no different to advertising on TV on Christmas Day, surely? Tesco and friends can't open Christmas Day, but that doesn't stop them advertising stuff you could buy when they're next open.

The big TV programmes will eventually run out, granted, but the likes of EastEnders, Corrie and Emmerdale are often six weeks or so ahead anyway, and EastEnders ramps up to eight weeks in advance for Christmas as it is so in theory they could just ramp up production and build a larger buffer but I suppose its going to be hard to build a larger buffer than eight weeks as things stand..
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Seems to me it would be a lot different to Christmas Day for advertisers. You could be talking weeks of uncertainty.
DA
davidhorman
Just play every episode at half speed like an episode of Jam and you've doubled your buffer.
IS
Inspector Sands
Surely it depends what the restrictions are.

In France it's all non-essential business which presumably would include making episodes of EastEnders, but not news or anything related to getting TV channels on air and presumably wouldn't include live TV shows like This Morning, which will provide a useful public service.

Personally I think when restrictions are brought in (and it's inevitable now) that the big channels, in-between the essential live programmes should bring out bank holiday type schedules with lots of family programming and films. The normal daytime fayre won't entertain the kids and boost morale
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Personally I think when restrictions are brought in (and it's inevitable now) that the big channels, in-between the essential live programmes should bring out bank holiday type schedules with lots of family programming and films. The normal daytime fayre won't entertain the kids and boost morale

Why? They want to keep all the schools open and seems to suggest they'll shift the Easter break to do it. Why lob family programmes and films in when the target audience won't be around?

Yes I know the same argument could be applied for CBBC and Nickelodeon but...

Newer posts