The Gallery

BBC branding 2020 - 'Lowercase'

Quick 1 hour rebrand for BBC channels bringing them all in-line with the lowercase 'BBC one'. (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
brioalex
Hi all,

I had a quick hour to fill on a train journey last week and I challenged myself to bring all of the BBC channel logos in-line and more consistent with the current 'BBC one' identity. I have tweaked the typography on each logo to help differentiate the channels and their genres. I haven't touched the CBBC logo though as it works as is but I've moved the BBC logo to central and underneath as I've never really understood why it sits on the top left in that frankly awful box. So, without further ado this is what I've come up with below:

I'd love to hear your feedback! Maybe in another spare hour I could make some idents or carry on creating some extra branding to go along with these identities. 😊

Cheers!
Last edited by brioalex on 15 March 2020 5:17pm
Octothorpe and paul_hadley gave kudos
IT
Ittr
Most of these seem to be modelled off the existing logos but make them less consistent than they already are, and I also have no clue why you've chosen for News and Sport to use 2 completely different fonts to everything else. In addition, the CBBC logo appears to be unchanged from what they use now.

However, I do quite like the alterations in style that Three, Four and Cbeebies have in your mock and it could be nice to see a potential expansion of this aspect of your mock.
BR
brioalex
Most of these seem to be modelled off the existing logos but make them less consistent than they already are, and I also have no clue why you've chosen for News and Sport to use 2 completely different fonts to everything else. In addition, the CBBC logo appears to be unchanged from what they use now.

However, I do quite like the alterations in style that Three, Four and Cbeebies have in your mock and it could be nice to see a potential expansion of this aspect of your mock.

Yep that’s correct, I didn’t want to stray away from what they have now because I don’t necessarily think they need fixing. I wanted BBC sport to be a little different to news, I used italics to bring an edge and a speed aspect to the identity, like a little nod to sports. Thanks for your feedback though, might have another go at expanding all of them further soon...
LY
Lynetwork
I'm not too sure about One and Two but the others look great. I like the font choice of Sport with the italic, and though I get why the News one might be polarising, personally I like it. But Four is the best one of this set - I love that logo so much!

I love the way that the 'three pillars' are integrated into your Three logo (love the font too), though I do wonder if a solid version would be better for smaller sizes compared to the outline-only version - which still has potential and could be used in aspects of the presentation.

The Cbeebies logo goes very well with the current CBBC logo, though it also kind of reminds me of healthcare for some reason? That might just be my weird brain talking.

Great work so far, and I'd love to see how this would work in the presentation!
bitxoin and brioalex gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
Excellent. really like the bbc three logo prefer it than the other one. if bbc four were to have a new look that’ll be a good logo.
HA
harshy Founding member
bbc one is ok, bbc two not sure to be honest why thats not aligned, bbc three well thats better then the BBC are doing, bbc four is nice, maybe divide into 4 segments to be clever?, bbc news not sure about the font maybe a mockup of the lower thirds to show how the font would work maybe? the bbc sport logo i like has much more energy about it, the current BBC Sport logo sucks.

Overall nice job, great potential.
BR
brioalex
Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone! Glad most of you like the BBC Three, Four and Cbeebies identities as I think they are the ones that currently need the most attention from BBC Creative.

I've made some slight changes this morning in another spare hour. I've tried to make them all more consistent with each other by moving the BBC logo to the left on each identity. I have also made the BBC Three text solid now instead of outlined and I've hinted at some branding elements to each identity too.

HA
harshy Founding member
Ooh that’s brilliant I like all of them the pulses of the globe actually work quite well with the bbc news font I like it Smile
BA
Ballyboy
Very nice, love to see some mock idents
BR
brioalex
Ooh that’s brilliant I like all of them the pulses of the globe actually work quite well with the bbc news font I like it Smile

Very nice, love to see some mock idents

Thanks guys! 😊 might try adding some movement to them next, although I’m no After Effects wizard I’m afraid!
AN
Anglialad
Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone! Glad most of you like the BBC Three, Four and Cbeebies identities as I think they are the ones that currently need the most attention from BBC Creative.

I've made some slight changes this morning in another spare hour. I've tried to make them all more consistent with each other by moving the BBC logo to the left on each identity. I have also made the BBC Three text solid now instead of outlined and I've hinted at some branding elements to each identity too.

These are brilliant, they sure have a lot of personality to give than the current ones do, especially the CBeebies one.
You should send these to the BBC, they’ll love it.
bkman1990, harshy and brioalex gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
I really like these new material designs for each channel, especially the BBC News and BBC Four designs. BBC Sport also suits it's angled design really well since it emphasises speed and anticipation, both of which suit the brand well.

CBeebies is also really nice, it complements the CBBC channel and doesn't feel out of date alongside it.

Newer posts